Saturday, August 21, 2010

Regionals Report 8/21/10

The first Regionals of the new tournament season. I took my Vayu Turbo deck, of course. I wanted to make an Empty Jar deck, but I couldn't get all of the cards together. I'm just two cards away from completing the entire deck, now, though.

I dropped the Cyber Ouroboros engine to enable me to Main Deck a third Book of Moon and a Spirit Reaper. I was fortunate enough to pull an Effect Veiler from the entry packs, so I threw it into my Side Deck.

So, there were over 300 people signed up for the Regional. There's usually twice as many people, but I guess that this was kind of an awkward time, right before the ban list and right after Duelist Revolution was legal.

Round 1: vs Light Beat - OO
-I was able to rush him pretty easily. I just drew everything I needed.

After the first round, I met up with a couple friends I knew from locals. One of them was my Round 6 opponent from this tournament, and today he was running Quickdraw Plants. The other one was running Ancient Gear Machina Gadgets.

Round 2: vs Lightsworn - XOX
-I made a terrible misplay which prevented me from winning. Honest was pretty annoying, too...

Round 3: vs Frog FTK - XX
-He FTK'd me in the first duel, and he killed me with Obelisk in the second duel.

I was feeling pretty bad after that, since I lost two matches that I really shouldn't have. The two friends I was with were both 2-1 at this point.

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beasts - OO
-This guy wasn't a newb, but he wasn't exactly good. I was able to take control with various Synchros.

Round 5: vs Nobody
-My opponent didn't show up.

Round 6: vs Burn - OXO
-This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament. He was using a burn deck with Des Lacooda and Worm Lynx. I won the first game with quick beatdown, he won the second by deck out, and I won the third in time.

Round 7: vs Infernities - OO
-He wasted Solemn Judgment in the first duel, letting me take him out quickly. I locked him down with Summon Limit and Royal Oppression in the second duel.

Round 8: vs Frog Monarchs - XOO
-He had a bad hand in the second game. I won in time on the third game (Gale over a Monarch for 100 damage!).

Round 9: vs X-Sabers - OXO
-I won the first and third game because he didn't draw many Monsters. Notable moments include how Effect Veiler helped me by negating XX-Saber Gottoms' effect in the second duel, how Effect Veiler allowed me to Synchro Summon Magical Android to get over Consecrated Light in the third duel, and how he played Pot of Duality in the third duel. Honestly, in the TCG, it's not common to see someone drop a Pot of Duality, at least not yet...

So, I went 7-2 and got 26th place! Top 32, yeah! My friend who was playing Quickdraw Plants got 52nd and my other friend dropped. I got an invite to the National Championships for being in the Top 48. My Round 1 opponent coincidentally got 27th place. He was a pretty cool guy, so we talked for a bit while waiting for our prizes.

There were also supplemental prizes. I got four packs, and I pulled an Ultimate Rare Naturia Bamboo Shoot, which I proceeded to sell for $20. My friend won two packs, and pulled Stygian Street Patrol and POT OF DUALITY! Two Secret Rares out of two packs! With those pulls, he didn't care at all that he missed out on an invite to Nationals.

I was also able to sell some janky holos. I got $11 for two Hanewatas, Reign-Beaux, and Cactus Bouncer. That's pretty good, since the first two aren't going to be doing much next format.

Lastly, I was able to meet vadangchoinga of YouTube. I knew him from locals, and he was actually my Round 5 opponent in this tournament, but I didn't know that he had a YouTube account.

Overall, it was a really fun Regionals. Being able to top with Vayu Turbo was great, and I got to play against a wide variety of decks. The invite to Nationals is probably going to go to waste, but the bragging rights that come with it are pretty good.

Oh, and I also bought all of the cards Aki and I need to make a Scrap deck, so expect to see that featured in videos in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.