Saturday, June 12, 2010

Tournament Report 6/12/10

I went to locals today with my Genex Control deck. I actually took out five cards, including the E-Hero "engine." I replaced them with some nice simplification cards, so that I could win off of advantage from the Genex.

By the way, the reason I'm typing this so late is because I was just recording duels with Aki, so expect to see new videos starting tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get one of the cards I wanted for the deck before the tournament. For some reason, the card shop didn't have Level Limit - Area B... But, I will be getting it from one of my friends on Monday, so it's not that bad. It actually wouldn't have helped me at all today.

Round 1: BYE!

I got a bye. Fun fun. I was actually disappointed at first, but the bye gave me the opportunity to survey everybody's decks. There were a good amount of newb decks, a Flamvell Lightsworn deck, a Flamvell Cat deck, an X-Saber deck, two Synchro decks (both running Junk Destroyer), and a surprising amount of Hopeless/Disaster Dragon decks. I'm not familiar with the differences between Hopeless and Disaster Dragon; I just know that Hopeless tries to swarm and OTK, while Disaster likes to control, then swarm and OTK. They seem the same to me...

Round 2: vs Synchro Deck

It was the same guy I dueled in Round 1 last week, and he was using the same deck.

-Duel 1: I Mirror Forced his Junk Warrior and two Giant Germs. Later in the duel, I made the correct read that his set Monster was Marshmallon, and I kept hitting through it for damage with Flamvell Uruquizas.
-Duel 2: I didn't draw enough Monsters and died.
-Duel 3: He didn't draw enough Monsters and died to the Genex.

Round 3: vs Newbie Dragons

I really don't know how he won two rounds. It's probably because there were so many newbs. Either way, I won both rounds.

Round 4: vs Six Samurai

-Duel 1:
I thought that this guy was playing the D.D. deck that I usually saw him play. So, I played more conservatively in the beginning. When he dropped Yaichi, Grandmaster, Shien, I Caius'd away his Grandmaster, attacked over Yaichi, and killed Shien with Smashing Ground. I won from there.
-Duel 2: I chained the lone Dust Tornado on my field to an attack so that I could drop Gorz. Then, I Caius'd away his Irou, which was equipped with Spirit, and attacked over Shien with Gorz. He was under Reckless Greed, so he couldn't make a comeback. I made it even worse for him when I used Spiritual Water Art - Aoi to see his hand. I didn't need to use Aoi, but it helped me confirm my victory. A side note: I would have taken out Aoi for Area B, so since I only drew Aoi this one time today, Area B would have been less useful.

Round 5: vs Hopeless Dragon

I don't think that it was Disaster Dragon, since it didn't use Stardust Dragon or Genesis Dragon. It was one of those decks with the Cards of Consonance/Trade-In/Super Rejuvenation crazy draw engine. By the way, we agreed to a split.

-Duel 1: Him going first prevented me from locking him down with Rai-Oh. Prime Material Dragon really messed me up, and I was only able to survive because I had searched Spirit Reaper with Sangan. He OTK'd me as soon as he could get Spirit Reaper off of the field.
-Duel 2: He used Card Destruction on my decent hand, making me draw a lackluster hand. It also fed into all of his card-drawing shenanigans. I was still able to survive for quite a while, and I stole his Totem Dragon with Goyo Guardian. He kept trying to get it back by killing it, but I kept drawing Traps. He used Brain Control so that he could sacrifice Goyo Guardian for Prime Material Dragon, but I had Karma Cut. He attacked with Masked Dragon, but I had Dimensional Prison. He tried to Heavy Storm, but I had Starlight Road. Then, he summoned Red-Eyes Wyvern, but I had Bottomless Trap Hole. But, without a Treeborn Frog in sight, I wasn't able to stand up to his Light and Darkness Dragons.

So, I went 4-1 (if you count the bye) and got 3rd place. Because of the split I agreed to, I was able to get two (Junk Destroyer) Starter Deck: Duelist Toolboxes. I'm planning on running a Quickdraw deck at Regionals next weekend, but I can always fall back on my Genex deck.

1 comment:

  1. (quoting from this post)
    -Duel 2: He used Card Destruction on my decent hand, making me draw a lackluster hand. It also fed into all of his card-drawing shenanigans. I was still able to survive for quite a while, and I stole his Totem Dragon with Goyo Guardian. He kept trying to get it back by killing it, but I kept drawing Traps. He used Brain Control so that he could sacrifice Goyo Guardian for Prime Material Dragon, but I had Karma Cut. He attacked with Masked Dragon, but I had Dimensional Prison. He tried to Heavy Storm, but I had Starlight Road. Then, he summoned Red-Eyes Wyvern, but I had Bottomless Trap Hole. But, without a Treeborn Frog in sight, I wasn't able to stand up to his Light and Darkness Dragons.

    XD quite the poet Lightgrunty

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.