Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dragunity Aklys

I've been looking through the Dragunities in Dragunity Drive, since I'm not that familiar with the various Dragunities. At first, I thought that Aklys' first effect (When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "Dragunity" monster from your hand and equip this card to it as an Equip Spell Card.) was pointless.

It's not. Firstly, you can use it to Special Summon high level Dragunities from your hand, like Laevatein, Misteil, or Primus Pilus. But, all of those cards have Optional Trigger Effects that can activate when they're Special Summoned. So, do they get their own effects when Special Summoned with Aklys?

To find the answer, I looked to various effects with similar wording. I looked at Kuraz, Drill Warrior, Gallis, and Hand Destruction, first. Kuraz' Japanese text is different, even though the destroying and drawing are considered to be simultaneous. Drill Warrior and Gallis have the same grammar form as each other, but their effects (Drill Warrior being Special Summoned and retrieving a card; Gallis burning and Special Summoning itself) are not simultaneous.

Hand Destruction has the same wording as Aklys, but there was no ruling on Hand Destruction stating whether or not pitching cards and drawing cards are simultaneous or not. Then, I gave up. But, while looking through the Dragunity Drive deck list, I saw Ruthless Denial. Its effects are considered to happen simultaneously, and it has the same wording as Aklys! I also saw that part of Power Tool Dragon's effect (the adding the randomly selected Equip Spell to your hand and returning the other two to the deck) is considered simultaneous.

This was two days ago. But yesterday, Aki let me know that there are other Dragunities with effects like Aklys, specifically Partisan and Pilum. Pilum had no ruling on it, but Partisan did:

「ドラグニティ-プリムス・ピルス
」を特殊召喚した後に、「ドラグニティ-パルチザン」自身を装備する効果処理が続くため、「ドラグニティ-プリム ス・ピルス」の効果を発動する事ができません。

What does that mean? It means that Primus Pilus Misses the Timing if you Special Summon it with Partisan's effect. Since Partisan, Pilum, and Aklys have the exact same wording, it means that that ruling should apply to all of them. That's pretty unfortunate.

That also means that the Japanese text on cards is inconsistent. Well, either that or Konami doesn't want Dragunities to be good...

3 comments:

  1. I've been researching the Dragunities since yesterday and I'm looking more depth into them so one time I'll make it as broken as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've be looking into them, too, but I'm focusing on the ones from the Structure Deck, since the Duel Terminal exclusives can be expensive...

    If I were to make the deck, I would probably just focus on abusing Laevatein through Dragon Canyon, since you can search for fodder for it every turn.

    I have read about a combo with Laevatein and Phalanx to make Trident Dragion for a quick OTK. It seems to be worth trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question is, when will we get the structure deck? I also want to abuse Laevatein and other Dragunity shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.