Saturday, June 26, 2010

Tournament Report 6/26/10

I took my Genex Control deck to locals today. Nothing special.

There was less than 20 people there today for some reason. So, it was a small tournament.

I got two Gold Series 3 packs and pulled some pretty nice stuff, including Gale and Plaguespreader Zombie.

Round 1: vs Machina Gadgets

-Duel 1: I thought that he was playing anti-meta Gadgets at first, since he played Royal Oppression and I didn't see Machinas until the end of the duel. I got lucky when I drew into Brain Control near the end for game.
-Duel 2: He didn't draw any Gadgets, but he sided in Banisher of the Radiance, which I didn't care about, and King Tiger Wanghu, which was annoying. I Brain Controlled his King Tiger so that I could tribute it for Dragon Ice. I forgot how I won, though.

Round 2: vs Newbie Spellcasters

I was paired down. I think someone else was paired down, too, which made no sense. I think that my locals started using the weird point system or something... Regardless, I won.

Round 3: vs Monster Surge

I don't really know what Monster-heavy decks are called, but that's the name I saw in the coverage of YCS Chigaco. I was watching this guy play and even played against his deck (his friend was using it) before the tournament started, so I knew how it worked. The reason his friend was using it was because my opponent didn't know how to play the deck very well, and he wanted to see how his friend, who is a better player, played it.

-Duel 1: He had Gale to kill my Rai-Oh so that he could drop his Dark Armed Dragon. Freaking annoying.
-Duel 2: I controlled with Rai-Oh and Infernity Doom Dragon.
-Duel 3: He had Gorz, annoyingly. It was okay, though, because I had gotten him down to 500 LP. I stalled for a while, but near the end of the game, he attacked my Sangan with Gorz, and I searched Battle Fader. He attacked with Mezuki, and I dropped Battle Fader. In his End Phase, I used Crevice into the Different Dimension to remove his Necro Gardna and Plaguespreader Zombie, knowing that attacking over his Mezuki would be my only hope. I drew into Caius, which couldn't remove anything because I had Skill Drain up, but was able to attack over Mezuki for game. I got so lucky, top-decking that Caius, but he had been very luck in every single duel. If he hadn't misplayed so much, he could've won.

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beasts

This was the finals, since there weren't many people. My opponent was the friend of my Round 3 opponent, and I had beaten him twice before in Round 4 of this tournament and this tournament. Again, it was a Round 4.

-Duel 1: I got rid of all of his Gladiator Beasts with Traps and such, which is how I usually win in this match-up. I ended up controlling the game with Brionac.
-Duel 2: He set Morphing Jar on his first turn with one back row. I set Snowman Eater and two back rows. He set three more cards and flipped the Jar on his turn, and he pulled off the Cold Wave/Rescue Cat combo on his next turn. There's no winning against that, especially since after Cold Wave wore off, he summoned Heraklinos with 4 cards in hand...
-Duel 3: I started with Rai-Oh. He set Morphing Jar on his first turn, again. It was obvious, so I set everything except a Genex Controller before attacking it. He ended up using Heavy Storm to clear both of our back rows, and I was able to control him with Monsters. He was able to drop Gorz after a while, but I had Mirror Force, and he had to save his Gorz with Book of Moon. Then, I Tribute Summoned my Gorz to run over his, and I won from there.

So I went 4-0, which meant that I got 1st place! Yay! Since it was such a small tournament, I didn't get much store credit, but I was able to get a Gold Series 3 pack. It was meh, since the Gold Rares were Infernity Archfiend, Enemy Controller, and Thunder King Rai-Oh. I was thinking about switching out my Secret Rare Rai-Ohs for Gold Rare ones, since the Gold ones look really nice. I still have to decide, though.

I was siding Skill Drain, if you didn't notice, and I might want to change the deck a little to accommodate for it better. My Spirit Reapers and Snowman Eaters die to it, but Rai-Oh and Genex Undine don't really mind it. I need to figure that out, since it kind of hurt me more than it helped me today...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.