Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tournament Report 6/5/10

Like I said in yesterday's post, I went with a control-based Genex deck. It mained Rai-Ohs and other controlling stuff, like Smashing Ground. I have to admit, I thought that triple Smashing Ground was overrated, but it's actually quite useful.

For some reason, a lot of people were playing Gladiator Beasts. There was only one guy with X-Sabers and no Infernities.

Round 1: vs Synchro Deck

-Duel 1: I got killed by Gorz.
-Duel 2: I sided in Royal Oppressions and D.D. Crows, but they didn't appear. I still won, though.
-Duel 3: It was almost time, so I kept poking for damage so that I wouldn't lose in time. It seemed as though he drew badly, and I ended up killing him when he ran into my Starlight Road.

Round 2: vs Machina Gadgets

-Duel 1: Gadgets get too many pluses...
-Duel 2: I had both of the Legendary Jujitsu Masters that I sided in. I also drew both Cyber Dragons, but I Chimeratech Fortress Dragon'ed off of his Cyber Dragon, using Genex Controller. When he finally drew a Gadget, I negated its summon with Solemn Judgment.
-Duel 3: He kept drawing everything he needed. He even had Oppression to stop me from making a comeback, and I drew Gorz one turn too late.

Round 3: vs Newbie Deck

I won both duels...

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beasts

-Duel 1: First turn Snowman Eater is too good. Then, I dropped Rai-Oh and kept reviving Dragon Ice to mess with him. He also drew his Chariot too late.

After he lost the first duel, my opponent gave me the match.

Round 5: vs Frog Monarchs

I had mixed feelings about this deck. It can draw dead, but when it draws well, there's no stopping it from winning.

-Duel 1: I started with Genex Undine, dumping E-Hero Bubbleman. Yes, Bubbleman. It's my one teched E-Hero for my one teched Miracle Fusion, which was conveniently in my hand. Next turn, I used it for Absolute Zero, and dropped Rai-Oh to prevent any Dupe Frog searching. His set Monster wasn't Dupe Frog, it was Ronintoadin, but it didn't stop me from attacking over it with Absolute Zero. However, he drew Treacherous Trap Hole to clear my two Monsters next turn. Closer to the end of the duel, he had regained control. But, when he Special Summoned Ronintoadin in Main Phase 2, I revived Dragon Ice. On my turn, I topped Genex Controller, which I tuned to my Treeborn Frog and Dragon Ice for Mist Wurm! I somehow won Game 1 against Frogs.
-Duel 2: I Creviced his two Treeborn Frogs, but it was too late, since he had already dumped all of his Frogs into the Graveyard for Ronintoadin. I also noted that he Special Summoned his Swap Frogs more often than he Normal Summoned them. I should start siding Swallow Flip for this match-up...
-Duel 3: He had Treacherous Trap Hole, again, but didn't have any Monarchs for a while, so he locked me with triple Dupe Frog. Fortunately for me, when he did summon a Monarch, it was Thestalos, which discarded my Reign-Beaux, Overlord of Dark World! I was able to clear away all of his Dupe Frogs, and set up for an OTK next turn. Unfortunately, he had Gorz, which stopped my OTK. I tuned for Colossal Fighter in Main Phase 2, but he Brain Controlled it and tributed it for Caius. He won from there.

Unfortunately, I ended up with a 3-2 record, which means that I didn't win any store credit. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to fix up my deck and try again next weekend.

I mainly need to work on the Machina Gadget match-up, Frog match-up, and probably the Infernity match-up. I think that Consecrated Light is overrated, since Infernity players can easily deal with it with Fissure, Raigeki Break, or Book of Moon, and Blackwing players have Icarus Attack, and are starting to play Legendary Jujitsu Master and Ryko. Eh, I'm sure I'll figure out something...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.