Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Impact of the New Ban List

Before I start on the more important topic, I have to say that 5D's Episode 123 was not worth watching. It's just a flashback episode for Team Ragnarok.

So, onto the ban list. Aki and I modified our main decks (Vayu Turbo and Paradox Zero) to fit the new ban list and tested them out. As expected, we weren't hesitant to Set multiple back rows, but we did hesitate to summon a bunch of Monsters at the same time.

On the other hand, having just one Monster on the field doesn't leave you open to Brain Control any more. And, you can Set all of your Spells/Traps with your Morphing Jar, and it would seem like any other defensive set-up.

We didn't really get a chance to test super Trap-heavy decks. They might start appearing, like the anti-meta Gladiator Beast builds used commonly in the OCG. I remember playing against defensive Gladiator Beast builds a lot recently, and Heavy Storm would allow me to destroy Traps it would take forever to draw out normally.

If Trap-heavy decks start appearing, Nobleman of Extermination, Trap Stun, and Royal Decree would become Side Deck staples. I'm even planning on maining Trap Stun(s). But, I don't like the idea of Malevolent Catastrophe. Smart players Set all of their stuff in Main Phase 2, so it takes two turns to use it, and they could just use one of their two Mystical Space Typhoons on it before you even get the chance to play it.

With Black Rose Dragon at three, I want to find a way to abuse Debris Dragon and/or Black Salvo. With Black Salvo, I could also use the shiny new Scrap Archfiend, which is pretty nice. If Black Rose Dragon becomes necessary to destroy full back rows, I'll need to find room in my Vayu Turbo build for Black Salvos and Dekoichis...

I really don't know what people are all like, "OMG, we need more Starlight Roads!" With Heavy Storm banned, it'll be harder to use Starlight Road, unless you overextend your front row. I didn't main Starlight Road before, and I'm probably not going to start now that Heavy Storm is banned...

And, of course, X-Sabers, Frogs, Infernities, and Blackwings have all be slowed down. So yeah, this upcoming format is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.