Saturday, August 14, 2010

World Championships 2010 Report - Day 1

Aki and I went to the World Championships today, as if the title didn't explain that.

So, first, we checked out the store Konami set up. It just had a bunch of packs, including old tins and Special Edition boxes. The drawstring bads they had were decent, but they weren't worth spending $25 on old packs for... Actually, seeing as how I can't get StarCraft 2, I might as well get one tomorrow.

After briefly seeing the store, we entered the King of the Hill event. There were about 100 people dueling, and when someone lost, the they would go to the back of the line at the front of the room, and someone in front of the line would replace them. Winning three duels in a row would get you a World Championship 2010 card pack. I just did eight duels, so here's a summary of each:

Duel 1: vs Insects
-I drew nothing, and he drew everything he needed. So, I lost.

Duel 2: vs Lightsworn
-I got him down to 1100 LP, but that didn't stop me from dying to Judgment Dragon.

Duel 3: vs Gladiator Beasts
-I was able to play around his Gyzarus and remove it with Caius. He couldn't stop me from winning after that.

Duel 4: vs Gladiator Beasts
-He started with 4 Set back rows. I Set Morphing Jar and a some stuff to stop an attack. He just Set a Monster. I played Giant Trunade, Set my hand, and flipped the Jar. I was able to win from there.

Duel 5: vs Gladiator Beasts
-He had control in the beginning, but he was unable to keep me from OTK'ing him with two Armed Wings and Brain Control.

Duel 6: vs Gladiator Beasts
-I opened extremely well, and I was able to win pretty quickly.

Duel 7: vs Flamvellsworn
-Another crazy Morphing Jar play gave me a +3 on my opponent. I was able to OTK him after a few turns.

Duel 8: vs Newbie Deck
-Um, yeah. I won.

With that, I got three packs. The packs only have two cards each: one reprint and one OCG-import. The packs are pretty terrible, so we didn't even both getting any more.

Next, we attended the Win-A-Mat event. It's a four-round elimination tournament with 16 participants.

Round 1: vs Synchro Deck
-Duel 1: He was able to deal 4500 damage early in the duel with Junk Destroyer and Rose, Warrior of Revenge. I was able to turn the game around and OTK with Dark Grepher, Armed Wing, Stardust Dragon, and his Iron Chain Dragon.
-Duel 2: I took control with 4 back rows, with one of them being Royal Oppression. I Synchro Summoned Goyo Guardian before flipping Royal Oppression, allowing me to take his Stardust Dragon and slowly chip away at his LP (2800 at a time...).

Round 2: vs X-Sabers
-Duel 1: He started with double Gold Sarcophagus for Cold Wave and Rescue Cat. After two turns passed, I used Solemn Judgment on Cold Wave. But, he also had Heavy Storm. So yeah, I died that turn.
-Duel 2: On my second turn, I attacked with Dark Grepher and Armed Wing for 4000 damage. He Set XX-Saber Darksoul and passed. I Normal Summoned Gale (I read his Set Royal Oppression) and attacked with it (I read his Set Darksoul...I mean, X-Sabers don't Set many other Monsters...). I then attacked with Dark Grepher, and he used Book of Moon on Armed Wing. I tuned Gale to Grepher for Armor Master and let it get negated. He searched XX-Saber Fulhelmknight and summoned it to attack over my Set Armed Wing, but he forgot about my Necro Gardna. Giant Trunade allowed me to go for exactly game that turn (Vayu's effect for Silverwind the Ascendant, attack with Armed Wing, then attack over Fulhelmknight for the second time with Silverwind).
-Duel 3: I drew all my Vayus and few other Monsters, which means I lost.

After that, Aki and I (mostly Aki) talked to Hideki Kawai, one of the Japanese World Championship participants. He wanted to trade for my Duel Terminal Genex Undine, but he didn't have the time to trade.

For the rest of the day, we watched the World Championship matches or traded. I was able to get all of the Genex cards I needed, as well as some other random cards, like Dewloren, Nimble Sunfish(es), and Sinister Serpent.

So yeah. I'm going to go tomorrow as well. I'm planning on participating in Regionals and/or Win-A-Mats, since the World Championship packs aren't worth getting...

4 comments:

  1. Cool,sounds like you had fun =D

    Would they be showing the Yugioh Movie there? 0.0

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did show a 3D preview of the movie in English. Aki and I didn't see it today, but I might see it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the preview. It was subbed and it had some pretty cool scenes..

    And the packs were pretty disappointing. I got a freaking Key Mace and Key Mace #2 today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice report, and nice blog btw !!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.