Sunday, August 15, 2010

World Championships 2010 Report - Day 2

I was planning on seeing the movie preview, but I decided to duel in the Win-A-Mat event instead. Of course, I was using Vayu Turbo. So, on to the report:

Round 1: vs Six Samurai

-Duel 1: He drew badly, and I was able to get out a Goyo Guardian to keep stealing his Monsters. I was even able to use his Yaichi's effect to destroy his back row.
-Duel 2: He drew badly again, and I dropped Catastor to take control. He destroyed it, but I revived it with Call of the Haunted and won from there.

Round 2: vs Frog Monarchs

I forgot what happened exactly, but I lost 1-2.

So, I entered a second Win-A-Mat...

Round 1: vs Gladiator Beasts

-Duel 1: He took control of the game with Heraklinos. He couldn't stop me from halving its ATK twice with Gale, but he had defensive Traps to stop my pushes.
-Duel 2: He didn't draw any Monsters, so my Siroccos were stuck in my hand. I just kept poking him with smaller Monsters, though.
-Duel 3: He had a Legendary Jujitsu Master out, so I kept attacking it with Armageddon Knight to reuse its effect over and over. He was able to stop me, though, by going for Gyzarus to take control.

After losing again, I entered another Win-A-Mat...

Round 1: vs Machina Gadgets

-Duel 1: I took control with Gorz and Goyo Guardian.
-Duel 2: He went first, and played Machina Gearframe to get Fortress, which he Special Summoned. I used Dark Grepher's effect to put Necro Gardna and Plaguespreader Zombie in my Graveyard, then Set Bottomless Trap Hole. He used Mystical Space Typhoon, then Special Summoned two more Machina Fortresses... I was able to live, using Necro Gardna to keep my LP at 2900. I Synchro Summoned Catastor to fend him off. Later, I Synchro Summoned Armor Master in Defense Position to hold him off while Catastor destroyed the Fortresses. I kept poking for damage until he was at 5800 LP. Then, I tributed Catastor for Sirocco and Special Summoned a second Armor Master, this time with Vayu's effect. I focused the 7000 ATK on the effectless Armor Master and attacked over Yellow Gadget for exactly game.

Round 2: vs Frog Monarchs

-Duel 1: He drew no Frogs, so I just beat him down with Shura and Synchros.
-Duel 2: I had no idea what to Side Deck, since I didn't see anything in the first duel, so I got destroyed. The duel took a long time, though, since I was able to hold him off for a while. Thought Ruler Archfiend and Silverwind the Ascendant kept me in the game and held off his Caiuses. My bad luck with drawing Side Deck cards was actually beneficial, since I sided in cards that wouldn't have been very helpful.
-Duel 3: I won in time, 7000 LP to 5900 LP. I had two Bottomless Trap Holes and Necro Gardna to hold off his attacks in the last three turns.

Round 3: vs Frog Monarchs

-Duel 1: I lost to generic Frog Monarch shenanigans.
-Duel 2: I opened up pretty badly, but I drew into two D.D. Crows to get rid of both of his Treeborn Frogs. That won me the game.
-Duel 3: A late game Vanity's Fiend locked me down, since I only had small Monsters in my hand.

Registration for events ended while I was in the third Win-A-Mat, so I had nothing else to do but watch the World Championship matches and trade. I also took pictures of the Stardust Dragon statue with my phone, since it looks cooler than I thought.

The most notable match was the finals, of course. It was Galileo De Obaldia (Panama/Frog FTK) against Vincent Paglia (United States/Blackwings).

In their first duel, De Obaldia got the first turn, but was apparently worried about Paglia having D.D. Crows in hand. He even discarded his extra Mass Driver for Hand Destruction, apparently waiting for something. Although he had all of his Frogs in his Graveyard and Mass Driver in hand, he gave Paglia a turn, which was all he needed to take control.

De Obaldia sided into Frog Synchro and took control of the second duel with Junk Destroyer, OTK'ing with it and Des Frogs.

Early in the third duel, Paglia flipped Trap Dustshoot, seeing De Obaldia's hand of two Fishborg Blasters, two Swap Frogs, Light and Darkness Dragon, Cold Wave, and Quickdraw Synchron. Quickdraw was sent back, and De Obaldia revived Treeborn Frog and activated Cold Wave. Paglia chained Mask of Restrict, and his other back rows were a face-up Royal Oppression and a Set card (I think it was Book of Moon).

This is where the controversial stuff starts. De Obaldia Special Summoned Swap Frog by discarding a Fishborg, and sent Ronintoadin to the Graveyard. He revived Ronintoadin, then bounced it with Swap Frog for his additional Frog Normal Summon. He Normal Summoned his second Swap Frog, sending Flip Flop Frog to the Graveyard. Then, De Obaldia Normal Summoned (for the second time, since Swap Frog's additional Normal Summon cannot be used for a Swap Frog) Fishborg Blaster. He Synchro Summoned Brionac, then attacked directly. Next, De Obaldia revived Fishborg Blaster by discarding a card, even though there was no Level 3 or lower Water Monster on the field. He tuned it to Brionac for Black Rose Dragon to destroy the field, revived Ronintoadin, and ended his turn. Paglia, still under Cold Wave, could do nothing but pass. De Obaldia revived Treeborn Frog, then Tribute Summoned Light and Darkness Dragon. Paglia couldn't get past it and conceded.

So yeah, some pretty funky stuff went down in the finals. I'm not going to say any more about that.

Closer to the end of the day, I went to do some trading. I was able to trade away most of my Infernity stuff and two Super Rare Dark Grephers, which I was desperately trying to get rid of. I got some nice stuff, like a Naturia Beast, two Into the Void, and Mystical Refpanel, along with some stuff for the Dragunity deck Aki and I hope to make.

I also bought some stuff from the Konami store: the old Crow tin and two The Shining Darkness packs. I didn't really get anything worth mentioning from the packs. But, for buying stuff from the store, I got the free Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's drawstring bag and a free deck box. I was pleasantly surprised with getting the deck box, and it's like the old deck boxes that they used to give out at Sneak Previews which you have to put together yourself. It has a picture of Yusei with Stardust Dragon on the front, so it's pretty nice.

That was basically my whole day. It was pretty fun overall, except for playing against Frog Monarchs over and over again. After this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, it's going to be back to the usual locals, occasional Regionals, and finding new ways to abuse Genex.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.