Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tournament Report 3/10/12

As usual, I went to locals today.  So, right before the tournament, I decided to make a Psychic/Zombie deck.  Like, usual Zombie engine plus the banish Psychics, like Serene Psychic Witch, Esper Girl, and the like.  I was kind of conflicted over whether I should play it or not in the tournament, but I eventually decided to use it over my Scrap Worms.

There were 16 players today, with mostly regulars, so that was good.

Round 1: vs Herald of Perfection

-Duel 1: He opened Sonic Bird and Preparation of Rites to drop Herald of Perfection with Advanced Ritual Art.  Then he added back the two Normal Monsters he used to summon the Herald to his hand with Dark Factory of Mass Production.  Yeah, I lost.
-Duel 2: He had the same opening as he did in the first duel, but he didn't have an many Fairies as before, so I was able to push through his Herald of Perfection.
-Duel 3: He stalled behind Herald of Perfection and Vanity's Emptiness, so we were just sitting there doing nothing.  However, he had managed to do a little damage to me earlier in the duel, so I lost in time.  It was really frustrating...

Round 2: vs Chaos Dragons

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I couldn't make any Synchros, as he just kept swarming and killing all of my Psychics.  I got OTK'd by Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, Dark Armed Dragon, and Light Pulsar Dragon.
-Duel 2: I went first, opening with no Monsters.  I just Set a Mystical Space Typhoon, which he MST'd.  Then, he played Future Fusion, dumping two Eclipse Wyverns, Dark Flare Dragon, and two Light Pulsar Dragons.  He banished two REDMD's with the Eclipse Wyverns, then banished one of the Wyverns and the Dark Flare Dragon to drop Chaos Sorcerer.  He got back one REDMD, then summoned it by summoning a Dragon and banishing it.  He played D.D.R. to get back the other REDMD, and that was an OTK.

Round 3: vs Newbie Dark World/Infernities

Uh, 2-0.

Round 4: vs Frog Monarchs

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He didn't draw many Monarchs, so I was able to apply steady pressure with a string of Synchros, including Thought Ruler Archfiend, which got me up to 12,800 LP.  After he spun my Thought Ruler with a Raiza, he beat me down to about 6000 LP, but I was able to heal back up with a Magical Android and finish him from there.
-Duel 2: We both had fairly slow openings, but I was able to set up Serene Psychic Witch for a Synchro with Esper Girl.  He didn't draw any Monarchs, so I just drop Magical Android, Naturia Barkion, and Brionac to keep pushing for damage.  He used Treeborn Frog and Battle Fader to Tribute Summon Gorz, but I used the Bottomless Trap Hole I had been holding onto for the entire duel.  He scooped at that.

So, I ended up going 2-2, which means that the deck pretty much failed.  There are too many dead cards early game; I could open with random cards like Zombie Master and Esper Girl and not have any plays.  Basically, the deck has too slow of a start, like Regigigas, so I would lose to faster decks.  I guess that in this regard, Scraps are much better.  That Herald of Perfection garbage was really messed up, though.  So yeah, I really have no idea what I'm going to run next week.  I might finally make a HERO deck, but I'll probably just get lazy and use Scraps.

Regardless, after the tournament, I had a tag duel with AquaBass, my Round 1 opponent from this tournament, and my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  I played my Scrap Worms, after the failure of the Psychic Zombies.  AquaBass was on my team and was playing his Dino Rabbit deck.  For the first duel, we played against Evols and Frog Monarchs.  In the second duel, against Evols and Six Samurai, and against Psychics and Six Samurai in the third duel.  We won all three, seeing as how the teams were pretty unbalanced.  But yeah, it was fun, and we might do it again sometime.

This time, we just used normal decks.  However, I think that it might be better for each team to share a ban list for tag duels.  So, for instance, only one player could use a Mirror Force, and there would only be three Scrap Dragons or something like that per team.  It'd add another layer of strategy and also prevent stupid stuff like double Burn decks.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, are you from singapore?

    where did you play this tournament at?

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.