Friday, March 30, 2012

Tournament Report 3/30/12

So, since I'm on spring break, I decided to go to locals today, in addition to the tournament that I'll be going to tomorrow, as usual.  Either way, I went with my Nordic Diva deck, since it did pretty well at the YCS and I really didn't want to play anything else.  So, I just fixed up the Side Deck a little bit and cut the lone Pot of Duality from the Main Deck.  I wanted to improve the Dino Rabbit and Wind-Up match-ups a little bit, so I added Smashing Grounds and Rai-Ohs.

There were about 20 players there, I think.  There were no little children, but there were still a few annoying people...

Round 1: vs X-Sabers

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He played very passively; he could've made some Synchro plays, but I had some back rows, so I suppose that he was a little hesitant.  So, I made my own Synchro plays, ending up with a Scrap Dragon and Solemn Warning to lock him out of the game.
-Duel 2: He opened with a Set Monster and two Set back rows.  I copied him and ended.  He Set another card to each zone.  I Flip Summoned Ryko, but it got negated by Solemn Warning.  I summoned Deep Sea Diva to grab Lost Blue Breaker and destroy his Set Starlight Road.  I played Mind Control to steal his Set XX-Saber Darksoul, but he flipped Gozen Match!  That locked me down for a while, but my back rows preventing him from making any big plays.  Eventually, though, he was able to get out Naturia Beast and Naturia Barkion; I had waited too long on my Torrential Tribute, and I ended up losing because of it.
-Duel 3: I made an aggressive play with a Ryko and Guldfaxe to make Gaia Knight and push for some damage.  He Set Darksoul and a couple back rows and ended.  I summoned Deep Sea Diva to grab a second Diva (I had drawn the Lost Blue Breaker...).  I used Mind Control to steal his Darksoul, but when I Flip Summoned it, he responded with Book of Moon.  So, I just used Gaia Knight and one of the Divas to make Scrap Dragon to destroy the Darksoul and his Set Forbidden Lance, which he Chained.  He wasn't able to deal with the Scrap Dragon, and he scooped when I summoned the Lost Blue Breaker on the following turn to push for game.

Round 2: vs Wind-Ups

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  Apparently, he's rich.  And I thought he used to use Macro Cosmos because he didn't have the money for a top tier deck... Oh well, he really didn't know what he was doing.

-Duel 1: He went off with a Tour Guide and Monster Reborn.  However, he misplayed, as he tried to use the same Wind-Up Hunter's effect twice after just leaving it on the field.  I was able to capitalize with a swarm of Synchros using Tanngnjostr (black goat) and Deep Sea Diva, and since he didn't seem to be playing many Traps, I was able to go off unhindered.
-Duel 2/3?: I don't really remember what happened after game one.  I feel like he won game two and I won the third game, but I might've just won 2-0.  I don't really remember, but I won the match.

Round 3: vs Wind-Ups

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I won the die roll, thankfully, but I didn't have much to stop his loop, should he draw it.  I just Set a Ryko and a Gleipnir, the Fetters of Fenrir.  I also considered Setting one of my important Spells (I had Dark Hole and Pot of Avarice in hand), and ended up also Setting the Dark Hole. He summoned Wind-Up Rabbit, Set two back rows, and played Wind-Up Factory.  Good, no loop.  He passed without attacking, since he knows how Nordics work.  So, I just flipped the Ryko to destroy his Factory, milling two Divas and a Solemn Judgment.  I Set a Torrential Tribute and ended.  He attacked with his Rabbit, and I dropped Tanngnjostr (black goat).  I switched Tanngnjostr to Attack Position to Special Summon Guldfaxe, then Synchro Summoned Scrap Death Demon (Archfiend).  He flipped Torrential Tribute and Chained Wind-Up Rabbit's effect, to which I Chained Torrential Tribute.  I was able to successfully get rid of the Wind-Up Rabbit without wasting any cards, yay!  From there, we just made small exchanges, like him summoning a Wind-Up Rat, but me stopping it with Book of Moon and running it over with a Guldfaxe.  In the end, I was able to make a Stardust Dragon using Reborn Tengu and a Guldfaxe I got off of another Tanngnjostr (black goat).  He killed the Tanngnjostr with his Wind-Up Zenmaines, but I killed the Zenmaines with Stardust Dragon.  He made a Number 30: Acid Golem to kill Stardust Dragon, but I made a Number 39: Utopia to stall him out and win.
-Duel 2: We both opened with lack-luster hands, but he was able to initiate the Wind-Up Hunter loop.  I had Set most of my cards already, so it only took one card out of my hand, but he was able to swarm with his Xyz Monsters.  I was able to make a reversal, summoning Thor with the help of Tanngrisnir (white goat), but by then my LP were really low.  He used Tour Guide and Wind-Up Shark to summon Adreus to destroy Thor and finish me off before I could revive Thor.
-Duel 3: He opened with no Monsters, so I was able to keep poking him with my random Beasts.  I don't remember much from this game; I wasn't that eventful, since neither of us really made any big plays.

Round 4: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  He still lacked knowledge of basic rules, but I guess that a deck like Six Samurai can carry you through several duels.  By the way, this was the finals...

-Duel 1: I went first, Setting Sangan, Solemn Warning, and Gleipnir.  He opened with Dojo, Elder, Kizan, and Grandmaster.  He sent Shien's Dojo to the Graveyard to grab Mizuho, which tributed Elder to attempt to destroy my Warning, so I negated it with Effect Veiler.  He then played Reinforcement of the Army to grab Kagemusha and summon it.  He attacked with Mizuho, and I used Sangan's effect to grab another Veiler; I already had a Diva in my hand, and nothing else would've helped.  He attacked directly with Kizan, Grandmaster, and Kagemusha, then Set a back row and ended, fearing the Warning.  I summoned Deep Sea Diva to grab Lost Blue Breaker and destroy his Set Double-Edged Sword Technique.  Then, I used Book of Moon to turn the Kagemusha face-down so that I could steal Grandmaster with Mind Control and make Scrap Death Demon (Archfiend).  I eventually decided to attack the Kagemusha, seeing as how I had the Veiler to stop Mizuho, and ended.  He forced my Veiler by tributing Kizan for Mizuho's effect, then switched Mizuho to Defense Position and Set a card.  He couldn't do anything, so I just kept applying pressure with Scrap Death Demon, then Scrap Dragon, to win.
-Duel 2: He opened with United, Kagemusha, and Asceticism to draw two then make Shi En.  He then summoned Grandmaster and Set three back rows.  I topped Guldfaxe (hurrah!) and Special Summoned by its own effect.  I then Normal Summoned Reborn Tengu and Synchro Summoned Colossal Fighter, expecting him to kill it.  He ended up using Compulsory Evacuation Device on it randomly, so I Special Summoned my Tengu in Defense Position.  I also Set some back rows and ended.  After a while of me stalling behind my incredibly resilient Beasts, I was able to push a Torrential Tribute through his Shi En by baiting its negation with a Bottomless Trap Hole on his Naturia Beast.  From there, we were top-decking.  Unfortunately, he topped Solemn Judgment, then Double-Edged Sword Technique.  I had topped Solemn Warning, but I lost it to the Judgment and died to the Sword Technique.
-Duel 3: I summoned Reborn Tengu (the only Monster in my hand) and Set Solemn Warning and Dust Tornado.  He played Gateway and summoned Kagemusha.  I activated Dust Tornado to get rid of the Gateway, and he just played Asceticism to grab Elder.  He Special Summoned Kizan before attempting to make Shi En, which I destroyed with Solemn Warning, to which he started complaining that I opened Warning all three games.  Whatever, he plays Samurai badly, so he shouldn't be complaining about luck.  His Kizan attacked my Tengu, and I got the second Tengu from my deck.  He Set the last two cards in his hand to his back row and ended.  I played Heavy Storm, and he lost his Solemn Judgment and Mirror Force.  I Set the Tanngnjostr (black goat) I had just drawn, along with Book of Moon and Compulsory Evacuation Device.  He drew and Set a back row before attacking the Tengu, to which I responded with Book of Moon.  I drew Deep Sea Diva and summoned it to grab Lost Blue Breaker and destroy his Set Return of the Six Samurai... He Chained it to revive a Kagemusha in Defense Position.  I then flipped Tanngnjostr to grab Guldfaxe to go with my Tengu and make Scrap Dragon.  Diva and Tanngnjostr made Catastor, and I killed both of his Monsters, leaving him with no cards.  Against a Scrap Dragon, that means you lose.  Yeah, I do summon Scrap Dragon a lot, which is why I like Scraps as a deck a lot, I guess.

But, there is a reason I decided to play Nordics again, and that was shown by how I went undefeated today and got 1st place!  With the store credit I got, I immediately got a Ninja Grandmaster Hanzo, so now I have three.  I then decided to spend the remaining store credit on a Super Rare Solemn Warning.  I guess that I could try to get multiples so that I don't have to keep switching them between my decks, or perhaps Aki could use them.

So yeah, I'll be going to locals again, tomorrow.  I'm hoping to win at least a little store credit again, since what I really had my eyes on (as opposed to the Warning) were a pair of Ultra Rare Macro Cosmos.  In case I decide to use Macro Cosmos, I would want to have them to go with the Ultra Rare one Aki and I got from our box of Ra Yellow Mega Pack.  I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. what do you think of Ancient Sacred Wyvern in the extra deck??
    as opposed to Scrap Archfiend, Black Rose Dragon?
    I feel like you might have considered this before, but use BRD for destruction option, and Scrap Archfiend as a 2700 immediate beater.

    -sickpenguin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancient Sacred Wyvern is great, but it's only great when you're winning. It would probably be the third Level 7 Synchro that I would use (either that or Voltic Bicorn to get around Rivalry of Warlords), but there's just no space. Scrap Archfiend is a reliable beater, and Black Rose Dragon is absolutely necessary.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.