Saturday, March 17, 2012

Deck Decision Update

So, instead of preparing for the Calculus final I have tomorrow (really today, since it's after midnight here), I've been going through my old videos featuring my Vayu Turbo deck.

Vayu Turbo was the first deck I got my Nationals invite with, so naturally it has some sentimental value for me.  The format that I played it in was the Frog FTK format a long time ago.  Ya'know, right after The Shining Darkness was released?  So the top three decks back then were Frog FTK, X-Sabers, and Infernities.  They were all extremely fast decks, somewhat analogous to the top three decks right now, though Dino Rabbits doesn't really compare to Frog FTK.

At first, it seemed like a good idea.  Vayu gets past stuff like Solemn Warning, Evolzar Dolkka, and other such things.  It's also a deck that could use the extremely versatile Raigeki Break, as well as the incredibly powerful Deck Devastation Virus.  All of the Level 5+ Monsters would allow me to effectively use Puppet Plant/Electric Virus to steal Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En/Evolzar Laggia and overlay/tribute them.  I could also Main Deck D.D. Crow(s) and not fear the Wind-Up loop, since they'd just be dumping my Vayunity pieces (Vayu and Sirocco, obviously).  And, I would finally be able to play one of my favorite cards, Necro Gardna.

Unfortunately, the more that I thought about how I would put the deck together, the less I liked the idea.  I remembered how much the deck depended on getting all of the necessary Darks into the Graveyard.  Vayu Turbo is susceptible to bad hands, and banishing stuff like Dimensional Fissure and Macro Cosmos would be a problem.  And while Effect Veiler doesn't really do anything to Vayu Turbo, Maxx "C" and Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror do.  I also considered running Icarus Attack, but Starlight Road might be popular with Torrential Tribute at two and such.

So yeah, I might end up making Vayu Turbo again as a fun deck, but I don't think that it would be my competitive deck.  I guess I'll have to keep looking, then...

1 comment:

  1. I don't think Vayu is fast enough to catch the speed of Inz, Dino or Wind-Up D:

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.