Saturday, February 12, 2011

1K Tournament Report 2/12/11

I went to a 1K tournament today with my Scrap Worms deck. I wanted to prepare for Six Samurai, but my deck was already as good as it could be against them without destroying my chances against other decks.

So, I met up with vadangchoinga, but he opted not to join the tournament. In the end, there were only 46 participants, which meant six rounds of Swiss and a Top 8 cut.

Round 1: vs Stun

-Duel 1: I started beating him down with Worms and Scrap Beasts, but then I took a beating. I dropped down to 600 LP before I could make my double Scrap Dragon push.
-Duel 2: Basically the same deal as the first duel, except he sided in Dimensional Fissures and Burdens (I think he sided the Burdens, since I didn't see them in the first game). I had a Dust Tornado and Mystical Space Typhoon for the two Dimensional Fissures he drew, and I held out until I drew Scrap Chimeras.

Round 2: vs Twilight

This was my previous opponent's friend, not that any of you care.

-Duel 1: Aurkus is annoying. However, he milled both of his Judgment Dragons and apparently didn't have any cards in his deck to get them back. I was just going to deck him out, but the opportunity to beat him down with Scrap Dragon arose, and I took it.
-Duel 2: He Special Summoned Stardust Dragon, Dark Armed Dragon, and Judgment Dragon... at the same time...
-Duel 3: I held out, because I thought he had Judgment Dragon. When I could, I dropped Stardust Dragon, then Scrap Dragon to make sure he didn't have enough LP to destroy the field. He never got the Judgment Dragon, though.

Round 3: vs Legendary Six Samurai

-Duel 1: I drew double Solemn Warning and was super aggressive with my Scraps, so I won.
-Duel 2: He beat me down with Naturia Barkion, so the Puppet Plants and Kinetic Soldiers were of no help.
-Duel 3: I drew double Solemn Warning and was super aggressive with whatever random Monsters I happened to draw. I think I started with Worm Xex, then pushed for more damage with Cyber Dragon and Scrap Chimera, even though I hadn't drawn any Tuners.

Round 4: vs Fish OTK

Seriously...?

-Duel 1: He started with Upstart Goblin, and I thought he was playing Six Samurai. But then, he used Pot of Duality, so I found out he was playing Fish. He ended up getting Cold Wave off of that Duality, so I had to be super aggressive. He didn't draw Coelacanth, and had to use Gold Sarcophagus for it. After that, he built up a wall of Frogs so as to not die. But, I revived Scrap Golem with Monster Reborn, then dumped a Scrap Goblin on his side of the field and attacked through it for game.
-Duel 2: I tried to ward off the OTK, but he ended up Synchro Summoning two Armory Arms and the Colossal Fighter to kill me.
-Duel 3: I pushed through 5600 damage with Scrap Beast, Scrap Chimera, and Brionac to hopefully kill him before getting OTK'd. Afterward, I Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon, of course. He used Giant Trunade and I Chained Scrapstorm, in a desperate attempt to draw Effect Veiler. Sure enough, it happened. He summoned Coelacanth and I dropped the Effect Veiler. He attacked over Brionac and revived Ronintoadin. I drew Cyber Dragon, which allowed me to Synchro Summon Avenging Knight Parshath when paired with the Scrap Goblin I searched with Scrapyard. That turned his Ronintoadin to ATK, letting me run over it for game. Two unorthodox wins in one match, quite odd.

Round 5: vs Blackwings

-Duel 1: He used Solemn Warning and took an attack from Scrap Beast, so I was prepared to push through enough damage for game on my next turn, but it involved the risk of leaving a Sirocco on his side of the field until then. He Special Summoned Bora and Normal Summoned Blizzard with no targets in the Graveyard. He used Sirocco's effect to focus the 5000 ATK on Bora, then Synchro Summoned Armor Master with Sirocco and Blizzard. Monster Reborn brought back the Sirocco, which focused another 4500 ATK on the Bora for a total of 9500 ATK. Needless to say, I got OTK'd.
-Duel 2: I poked a couple times with Scrap Beast, then pushed through a bunch of damage somehow for game.
-Duel 3: He used Solemn Judgment on my Bottomless Trap Hole so that he could fuse his Cyber Dragon with my Cyber Dragon. Then he Normal Summoned Blizzard, revived Kalut, and Synchro Summoned Magical Android, pushing through 4400 damage. I Set the Mirror Force I was saving, which destroyed both of his Monsters. I then attempted to Synchro Summon Stardust Dragon against his lone back row and Bora, but it got Warned. It was fine, though, since I used Giant Trunade to recycle the Call of the Haunted I had used for the Synchro Summon and destroyed the Bora with Smashing Ground. Unfortunately, he dropped his last two cards, Shura and Gale on the next turn. I was forced to use Call of the Haunted, and he halved its stats with Gale in Main Phase 2. After that he Synchro Summoned Armor Master. I top-decked Scrap Beast and Synchro Summoned Scrap Twin Dragon. He attacked it to place a Wedge Counter, and I switched it to DEF. He removed the Wedge Counter and attacked it, letting me revive Scrap Beast. He Set a back row, and I summoned Worm Xex to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon. He tried to respond to the summon with Mystical Space Typhoon, destroying the Call of the Haunted that was left over so that I couldn't destroy it and Armor Master. As it would turn out, I was going to destroy his back row, since I had Smashing Ground to deal with the Armor Master, letting me attack for game.

Round 6: vs Gladiator Beasts

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament. We were the last two undefeated players, so it didn't matter who won. We just played for fun, since we're friends, and I ended up losing.

So, I got 2nd place in Swiss and made it into the Top 8. Sadly, I was paired up against one of the two Six Samurai players. I agreed to a split with him and four other people, and ended up losing to him 0-2.

My Round 8 opponent from this tournament and my Round 5 opponent from today ended up getting 1st and 2nd place, and they happened to be the two people who didn't agree to the split. Quite sad. Regardless, I ended up winning a little over twice the entry free, so that was good.

Of course, I also got good trades throughout the event. They included a Stardust Shimmer, Gae Dearg, DT Naturia Landoise, Ultimate Rare Atomic Scrap Dragon, some Symphonic Warriors, and Karakuri Steel Shogun mdl 00X "Bureido". I also got a bunch of Six Samurai cards from STOR for Katana, who may or may not make the "Only Gateway Reinforce" deck that I proposed. We may have to wait a while for Shi Ens...

So yeah, it was a pretty good day overall. I honestly didn't expect to do so well, and a lot of people we surprised that Scraps and Worms worked so well together. I think that some people will start to copy my deck now...

6 comments:

  1. Hi,
    im from germany and like your blog,
    can you post a decklist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @verbraucherzentrum

    I was considering posting up a video deck list on my YouTube channel sometime soon. It will most likely be there by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thankfully I still got first place, but you top decked vs me qutie a few times against me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @IamKevinSilva

    Let's not forget your fortunate draws. You OTK'd me in the first game. And, before I topped Scrap Beast to Synchro Summon Scrap Twin Dragon in the third duel, you had drawn into either Shura or Gale to render my Call of the Haunted play useless.

    Regardless, it was a good game, and congratulations on winning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @yugitube:
    Video is online and really long. Like it. You only talk a bit to long from the extradeck, you could use that time better to tell us from interesting situations with cards, which arent played by everyine like the worms oder sth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the through explanations of your card choices. So many yugitubers just hold up a card and say, "Mmm, it's good."

    Keep up the great work LightGrunty sir.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.