Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tournament Report 2/26/11

So, I took my Scrap Worms deck to the last tournament for the format.

I played on the Duel Terminals for a bit. I got some Jurrac stuff and a Neo Flamvell Sabre, which is a good card for Flamvells. With Archer, it makes Neo Flamvell Diety, and it's an early-game 2100 ATK beater.

Round 1: vs Machina Gadgets

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Round 1: He opened with Green Gadget and four back rows. I Set Scrap Beast, not wanting to lose it to Bottomless Trap Hole or Dimensional Prison. I also Set Dust Tornado and Call of the Haunted. On his turn, he used Mystical Space Typhoon on my Dust Tornado, which I Chained, destroying his Torrential Tribute. He summoned Red Gadget to search for Yellow, and attacked with Green Gadget to destroy Scrap Beast. After I took the 1300 damage from Red Gadget, I drew Scrap Chimera. I cleared the field with Giant Trunade, attacked with Chimera and Beast, then Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon. He was forced to suicide a Machina Fortress into it to destroy it, and when he Set his back rows again, I flipped Call of the Haunted in his End Phase, reviving the Scrap Dragon. I randomly hit a back row with its effect, but I lost Scrap Dragon to Dimensional Prison. Soon afterward, I was able to summon Scrap Golem, Synchro Summoning Scrap Twin Dragon to run over the Machina Fortress he Special Summoned. It destroyed my Dragon, letting me revive the Golem to attack directly. I opted against Synchro Summoning XX-Saber Gottoms (a second Scrap Twin Dragon would have actually been helpful). He Set Spirit Reaper, but I had Scrap Chimera in hand to destroy it and win.
-Duel 2: He opened with Banisher of the Radiance (and odd Side Deck card for Scraps...) and two back rows. My hand was bad, so I had to use Giant Trunade to clear his back row, then summon Worm Xex and decline to use its effect. Not being able to use Worm Xex's effect because of Banisher wasn't that bad, since I sided out a Worm Yagan anyway. But yeah, I didn't draw my Tuners, so I couldn't do much. I know that the deck can with without Synchros, but it doesn't work if my opponent gains advantage by just summoning Monsters. The Synchros allow me to keep up with that.
-Duel 3: This duel overall was similar to the second duel. I started with Worm Xex into Worm Yagan, but I didn't have any other Monsters. I also kept drawing stuff like Solemn Warnings and Effect Veiler, which prevented me from playing aggressively. My last two cards before he killed me were Mystical Space Typhoons.

Round 2: vs Newbie Zombies

I won... My opponent really liked Kasha for some reason...

Round 3: vs Hopeless Dragon

-Duel 1: He opened with Koa'ki Meiru Drago, so I couldn't use Cyber Dragon. It was okay, though, since I had Scrap Beast, which I let die, and Scrap Chimera. He didn't draw any other Level 4 or lower Monsters, so I won.
-Duel 2: He didn't draw any Level 4 or lower Monsters at all. I felt bad, but then he started saying that he would've owned me if he had drawn a Level 4 Dragon, because he had Dragon's Mirror and other random stuff. So, I stopped feeling bad for him.

Round 4: vs Frog Monarchs

-Duel 1: His opening hand was something like Treeborn Frog, Ronintoadin, and three Swap Frogs. He didn't draw any Monarchs at all, so I Synchro Summoned Avenging Knight Parshath to push damage through his Treeborn Frog. He left his field open on the next turn, so I thought he had Battle Fader. It turned out to be Gorz, but I had a Dark Hole for that. I ended up using Monster Reborn on Parshath for game. Avenging Knight Parshath is freakin' awesome!
-Duel 2: He actually got a good hand this time, but I kept drawing cards to counter him. I ended up drawing both of my D.D. Crows, removing both of his Treeborn Frogs. And I ran him out of Frogs to use with Ronintoadin, which made me feel pretty safe. It also allowed me to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon to take control, since he wouldn't be able to get tribute fodder on the field.

There were only four rounds because one of the undefeated players got paired down and lost. My Round 1 opponent ended up winning the tournament, which helped my tie-breakers. So, with my 3-1 record, I got 4th place.

I got a little bit of store credit, which I used to buy two of those new Movie Packs. I was surprised, but it's actually worth spending money on those packs if you're making a Malefic deck.

So yeah, next format should be a lot different. I was hoping that Junk Doppel wouldn't come to the TCG, but with TG Hyper Librarian coming out halfway through the format, that hope was crushed. More on that in another post, most likely.

2 comments:

  1. Hyper Librarian's being released in the TCG?

    Not sure whether to be ":D" or "|:<"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently it is one of the subscription promos for Shonen Jump (shriek says so). The shonen jump site implies it is Seven Swords warrior and Lightning warrior though... the wiki agrees with that. So I dunno. I will subsribe if it is TG Hyper Librarian.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.