Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tournament Report 1/15/11

I've been bogged down with homework all week, which is why I haven't been posting and also why I've had no time to edit videos. For instance, I spent 12 hours yesterday writing up a research paper from scratch.

Enough about that, though. I went to a tournament at a card shop that focuses primarily on Magic the Gathering, but is starting to get into Yu-Gi-Oh. First prize was a Wii or an Xbox 360. It was four rounds with a Top 8 cut.

Round 1: vs Gladiator Beasts

-Duel 1: I controlled the game with multiple Scrap Dragons. He just ended up running out of back rows.
-Duel 2: He started with Dimensional Fissure, but I started with at least one Mystical Space Typhoon/Dust Tornado in my hand, so I didn't care. He had to use Solemn Warning on my Worm Xex, because none of his Gladiator Beasts could get over it. I forgot exactly how I won.

Round 2: vs Blackwings

-Duel 1: I drew into all of my Scrap Chimeras, which means I win. I even recycled one with a Scrap effect, so I essentially had four.
-Duel 2: He drew all of his Icarus Attacks, but I drew a Dust Tornado and Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy two of them. He hid behind Spirit Reaper until I drew a Scrap Beast to pair with my Scrap Chimera.

Round 3: vs Debris Plants

-Duel 1: For some reason, I always seem to auto-lose to this deck.
-Duel 2: I won because I drew an amazing hand consisting of Worm Xex, Scrap Beast, Scrapstorm, Solemn Judgment, Power Filter, and Zombie World.
-Duel 3: I drew almost the exact same hand as above, but he drew multiple Rykos to destroy all of my stuff. I was down too many cards and couldn't do damage fast enough, so I lost.

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beasts

-Duel 1: He had Prisma and two Test Tigers, so I thought that I was doomed. But, I was able to get rid of his back row and turn the game around with a Scrap Chimera and a Monster Reborn.
-Duel 2: I drew a terrible all-Spell hand and couldn't do much with it. By the time I drew my Monsters, it was too late.
-Duel 3: I drew an all-Monster hand plus Monster Reborn, which is basically a Monster. He used Prisma for Bestiari, but I used Bottomless Trap Hole, fearing Test Tiger. He then played Dimensional Fissure and two back rows. I Monster Reborned the Bestiari and tuned it with the Scrap Goblin I had on the field for Black Rose Dragon, removing his Bestiari from play and destroying his back row. I was able to follow up that awesome play with Worm Xex into Worm Yagan. He rammed his Laquari into my Worm Xex, and with that, I had no big Monsters to attack with. After that I just kept drawing incoherent Spells/Traps, and I couldn't do anything against his Gladiator Beasts.

Apparently my tiebreakers were bad, because I got something like 9th place. I thought I had a really good chance, too, since I would have a good match-up against Gladiator Beasts and other Stun decks. But, for some reason, I just couldn't draw any Monsters.

And still, siding ten cards against Debris Plants doesn't help me win. I'm really looking into switching decks, but I can't figure out what to play. I'll probably play Scraps through this month, but I still want to make a new competitive deck.

I actually just looked through the Nordic Monsters from Storm of Ragnarok. The Nordic Beasts seem to be the best ones to use, but they aren't anywhere near amazing.

Anyways, it was really interesting learning a bit more about Magic the Gathering while I was there. I found out that Japanese Magic cards are legal in tournaments, and you don't even need to provide translations because judges handle that. I also got some cool new dice. So yeah, even though I got killed by Debris Plants, again, it was pretty fun overall.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know why but triple vanity's emptiness with royal oppression and skill drain seem to destroy plant synchro with my teched main of magic cyclinders =D don't know how much of this applies to your scrap deck, but in dimensional eatos works =\

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    I considered Vanity's Emptiness before, but it's just too easy for them to get one of my cards into the Graveyard to destroy it or flip Royal Decree. The Royal Decree thing is why I use Zombie World and Power Filter.

    Dimensional Eatos would already have a good match-up against Debris Plants. Unless Scraps open amazingly and Debris Plants open badly, then Scraps usually lose. They're just not fast enough to deal with Debris Plants, and they don't have the disruption that Gladiator Beasts or Dimensional Eatos have.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.