Sunday, January 2, 2011

Tournament Report 1/2/11

First tournament of the year for me. Yay.

I went with a changed-up Scrap Anti-Stun variant. I dropped the Rai-Oh, D.D. Warrior Lady, and other stuff to make room for some Worm Xex and Worm Yagan. The Worms worked out much better than I expected. They also gave access to Avenging Knight Parshath.

Round 1: vs Machina Gadgets

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: His Solidarity gave me a rough time, since I couldn't get over his Gadgets.
-Duel 2: He sided out the Solidarities for Banishers and Doomcaliber Knights, so I was able to beat him down with Worm Xex. When I tried to use Worm Yagan, he said, "I don't know what that does, but I'll D.D. Crow it," so I made due without it.
-Duel 3: I was playing around a Machina Fortress that I thought was in his hand, but it wasn't there. It also didn't help that he kept drawing Doomcaliber Knights after I got rid of them. Regardless, it was a fun match.

Even so, losing the first round sucks.

Round 2: vs Newbie Deck

I won...

Round 3: vs Gravekeeper's

-Duel 1: I ran him out of Spells/Traps, which was odd, since he only played 15 Monsters.
-Duel 2: He first turn Royal Tributed three of my Monsters. I couldn't do much with the remnants of my hand, and was unable to draw Monsters quickly enough.
-Duel 3: I rushed him with two Scrap Dragons.

Round 4: vs Debris Plants

-Duel 1: He protected his Card Trooper for a few turns and milled a Dandylion. I got him down to a few hundred LP, but he dropped Tytannial and Black Rose Dragon...
-Duel 2: I got him down to a few hundred LP again, but he got to his Dandylion and kept generating tokens. It didn't help that he destroyed my Power Filters as soon as I played them.

Whenever I play against Debris Plants, they always seem to draw/mill amazingly, which is annoying. Siding ten cards for that match-up apparently isn't enough.

After that I dropped, since I couldn't win anything. The Turbo Pack 4 was bad, as well.

What's cool is that Yusei JB got first place and a box of Hidden Arsenal 3. He was kind enough to give me a few Worm cards that he didn't need.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. Not a great way to start the year, and I'm still trying to make a new deck.

6 comments:

  1. wow thats sucks and i hate it to when i lose first round its like great i get to play the newbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's worse when you play a kid w/ a mash of starter deck cards coz you know he's going to do poorly and drop and screw up your tiebreaks

    ReplyDelete
  3. @LFN

    For Sunday box tournaments, tiebreakers don't matter, so I wouldn't mind as much. For Friday/Saturday tournaments, and more so for Regionals, they matter a lot, so I would be concerned.

    I just feel bad for steamrolling a little kid. What's even worse is that in the second duel, I didn't swarm him, even though I could multiple times. When we were nearing the end of the round, the store owner asked if I had won yet, so that couldn't have been good for the kid's self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol wonder who that plant deck person is lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol have you won yet i remember when i first started dueling i lost every duel just about it was anoying but after like 8 months i got better and better and now its accually a duel not i know im not gonna win

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous

    I have won a few times. I started playing more competitively near the end of 2009, and I have been doing fairly well since. Generally, I try to use a more creative deck, both for the surprise factor (which was today's post, by the way) and for the satisfaction of doing well with a lesser-known deck.

    I do remember back when I first started going to tournaments. I used Monarchs, and they were decent at the time, so I would go X-2 and be happy with that result. Now, it's very disappointing when I go X-2.

    Either way, the card shop I go to is very competitive, so it's always cool to play against the various top decks. However, even though my locals is generally competitive, very few of the people there are exceptionally good players.

    Regionals are even more exciting, since there are twice as many rounds, and I would expect the challenge of facing better players. I've done decently at Regionals so far, with two Top 32's. I'm still going for a Top 8, though.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.