Thursday, January 6, 2011

Confusion

Suicidey saw me before locals last weekend with the Avenging Knight Parshath I had just gotten. "What are you playing?" he asked in confusion.

"Worms." I wasn't technically lying; there were Worms in my deck...

"I don't have a side for that!" He thought that I was using straight Worms with Worm Zero, I suppose.

As soon as Round 1, my opponent had no idea of how to effectively deal with the Worms I was playing. He ended up wasting a D.D. Crow on Worm Yagan instead of using it on a Scrap because he wasn't sure of how I wanted to use it.

Not to mention that Worm Yagan, and even Worm Xex to an extent, have long and tedious effects.

Basically, people had no idea of what I was trying to do with the Worms, and therefore misplayed.

This surprise factor almost always works in your favor. If your opponent is confused as to what your objective is, then you can easily take advantage of that.

However, the reverse is true, as well. If you don't know what your opponent is trying to do, then you'll have a tough time stopping them.

So, to combat this, it would be a good idea to look into every single card in the game. Well, maybe not every card. You can exclude Normal Monsters and "unplayable" cards, such as Extra Veiler and Card Breaker. Those two cards have absolutely no potential to be played. None.

But yeah, some cards can be surprisingly good. You just have to figure out what they are.

2 comments:

  1. Half the reason I play Yugioh, and any other card game, is just to see my opponent squirm when I do weird plays. The advantage of surprise is massive. I completely agree with you, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michael Bonacini

    Yeah, it's always fun to see your opponent struggle to figure out your strategy.

    The reason I decided to do this post was because the Worm "engine," if you want to call it that, has exceeded expectations. It both provides beaters against Stun match-ups like Blackwings and Gladiator Beasts and gives the deck a little more speed by putting two Level 4 Monsters on the field at once. It's essentially like a faster, more aggressive Gravekeeper's engine.

    Usually, obscure strategies fall apart. But, when one comes together perfectly, it's nothing short of amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.