Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tournament Report 1/21/11

I went to the same card shop I went to last week with the same deck as last week. Actually, I changed one card...

Before the tournament started, I played a little bit with my Round 2 opponent from this tournament and the owner of the shop.

Round 1: vs Lightsworn

This was my Round 2 opponent from last weekend.

-Duel 1: He misplayed his Beckoning Light, but he drew into a Judgment Dragon that I couldn't deal with.
-Duel 2: I controlled the game and stuff. Don't remember exactly.
-Duel 3: For the first few turns, he didn't draw any Lightsworn at all. I pushed the duel into a top-decking war, and I was able to beat him down with Worms.

Round 2: vs Newbie Machina Gadgets

He got his Gearframe early, and my Worm Yagans were kind of useless, but I still won 2-0.

Round 3: vs E-Heroes

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament, whom I had dueled against earlier. We both already knew each other's decks, so it didn't really make a difference.

-Duel 1: He was drawing really badly. No E-Calls, Stratos, Prisma, or Oceans. His starting play was a Set Woodsman with no defensive back rows, so I ran it over with Cyber Dragon. That's how the duel progressed for a while, and he was forced to use E-Hero Gaia instead of E-Hero Absolute Zero to deal with my threats. Either way, I forced him down to top-decking and beat him in with two Worm Xex.
-Duel 2: He had more Monsters than I had outs. Apparently he drew practically all-Monsters, since my Mystical Space Typhoon and Giant Trunade were dead for most of the duel.
-Duel 3: He beat me down with Rai-Ohs, and I couldn't deal with them effectively.

Round 4: vs Newbie Machina Gadgets

He got his Gearframe early as well, so he was able to spam Machina Fortress. Again, Worm Yagan was notably worthless in this match-up. Regardless, I pulled through and won 2-0.

I ended up going 3-1 and getting 3rd place. That got me a total of four packs. I pulled a Tyrant's Temper, Anarchist Monk Ranshin, and an Ultra Rare Red Nova Dragon. Three holos in four packs is good.

I also did some trading, getting a second Gungnir for Aki, an Ultimate Rare Tuning for the Worm Junk deck, and other random cards, including Duel Terminal E-Hero Stratos and Wattsquirrel.

One thing I noticed that I didn't like about this Scrap Worm build was Worm Yagan. Worm Xex is awesome because it's an 1800 ATK plus-1 that puts another non-Tuner on the field. But, Worm Yagan's effect is mandatory and bouncing face-up Monsters generally serves no real purpose. It's great against Synchros, but half of the Synchros people play will just remove Worm Yagan from the field before it's flipped. Bouncing stuff like Rai-Oh is pointless, and bouncing stuff like Stratos or Gearframe gives my opponent another plus-1.

If Worm Yagan could bounce face-down Monsters, then I would be okay with it. But, since it can't, I'm considering finding another engine to use in the Scrap deck. I'll most likely continue to use the Worm engine through next week (for Regionals), but I want to see if something else would work better.

2 comments:

  1. *cough* gravekeeper *cough* engine


    otherwise ive never seen zombie engine combined with scraps and there must be away to abuse beast of the pharaoh somewhere..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    I used to use Gravekeeper's, but now they're too slow. And, they don't do anything against Stun decks.

    I considered the Zombie engine, but it seems too cumbersome. It's not really worth it.

    The Worm engine has been the best one I've found so far. They're not just that effective against Machina Gadgets, which is okay. I can do well enough against them regardless.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.