Sunday, September 16, 2012

Tournament Report 9/15/12

So, I got to locals at 11:00 in the morning for the Vanguard tournament.  Unfortunately, the only other people who signed up were two little kids who barely know how to play.  My friend who plays Vanguard didn't even show up for some reason.  So, everyone who was there just got the Vanguard promo pack thing that has Knowledge Drunkard and two other (bad) cards.  I got the Kagero one, Dragonic Valblade, which isn't completely horrible.  It's better than Yaksha...

But yeah, the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament started after a while... There were 21 players there today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight...). I used my Nordic Diva deck, since I failed to come up with a new deck over the past week, and also because I was lazy.

Round 1: vs Lightsworn

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with Card Trooper milling Wulf, which is pretty messed up.  I was able to make a reversal with a few Synchro plays, and it went back and forth for a while.  When I was at 1300 LP to his 1900 LP, he summoned Lumina to revived Aurkus and attack my Set Ryko (he knew it was a Ryko since I got it with Super-Nimble Mega Hamster).  I used Ryko's effect to destroy my bluff Heavy Storm, since I couldn't target any Lightsworn Monsters.  He then attacked directly with Aurkus and I dropped Gorz.  He decided to overlay for Acid Golem for some reason, so I just waited until he burned himself out.
-Duel 2: I rushed him with Thor and Scrap Archfiend, making it so that he could only win if he dropped two Judgment Dragons on the same turn (I had like 5600 LP).  He had one Judgment Dragon, but milled the other two, and therefore couldn't win against Thor.  He decked out before I was able to kill him.

OO

Round 2: vs Machina Gadgets

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I opened up with a pretty good hand, but so did he.  The difference was that I had no Traps, while he drew a bunch of Traps.  So, while I was able to make a few aggressive pushes, he was able to counter them all with his Traps and Machina Fortress.  I ran out of cards before I could kill him, so his Gadgets were able to kill me.
-Duel 2: He didn't draw any of his Machinas, so I was able to win pretty easily.  It's not hard to kill a bunch of Gadgets with Guldfaxe or even Lost Blue Breaker.
-Duel 3: I summoned Catastor after clearing his back row to destroy his Machina Fortress.  He used Fiendish Chain after reviving his Fortress again, but then I Tribute Set Cyber Dragon and fused it with his Fortress for Chimeratech Fortress Dragon.  He used Solemn Warning, paying down below 2000 LP.  So, I was able to push a bunch of damage through a Gadget using Thor to win.

XOO

Round 3: vs Wind-Ups

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  He knew that I was either playing Nordics or Gem-Knights, while I knew that he was playing Wind-Ups.

-Duel 1: I opened with a decent hand, except that it was a horrible hand to start with against Wind-Ups.  It was something like two Guldfaxe, a Veiler, and some back rows.  I Set two back rows and ended.  He played Mystical Space Typhoon on my MST, then made his Magician/Shark play.  I used Veiler on the Magician, leaving him to make Utopia and attack directly.  I topped Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and Set it and another back row.  He Normal Summoned Wind-Up Rabbit and attacked with Utopia.  I used Book of Moon, then he attacked with Wind-Up Rabbit.  He took damage, and I got Tanngnjostr (black goat) in face-down Defense Position.  He Set one back row to end.  I Flip Summoned Tanngnjostr (black goat), and it got negated with Effect Veiler.  So, I Normal Summoned Guldfaxe and tuned it to my Hamster to Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon.  Using Scrap Dragon's effect, I destroyed my Tanngnjostr (black goat), and his Set Dimensional Prison.  I attacked his Utopia and ended.  He summoned Tour Bus and overlaid with it and Rabbit for Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity.  He detached the Rabbit to Special Summon Rat from his deck, then used Rat's effect to Special Summon Shark.  He used Shark's effect to level down, then overlaid for Leviathan Dragon.  I wanted him to make Acid Golem, but he had Book of Moon to turn my Scrap Dragon face-down so that he could run it over with Leviathan Dragon after boosting its ATK.  But, when Scrap Dragon was destroyed in battle, I got to Special Summon Tanngnjostr (black goat) from my hand.  I used it to call out Tanngrisnir (white goat) and Normal Summoned my second Guldfaxe to Synchro Summon Thor.  That Thor ended up winning me the game, since Wind-Ups don't have outs to Thor.
-Duel 2: He went first with a bunch of back rows.  I copied him and Set a bunch of back rows.  We ended up just making a series of small exchanges.  While he didn't draw any combos to generate advantage with, most of my Monsters generate advantage by themselves, so I was able to take control pretty easily.  Not to mention that he messed himself up by playing Dimensional Fissure and preventing himself from using the Effect Veiler he was holding.

OO

Round 4: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with Thunder King Rai-Oh, which gave me some trouble since he used Solemn Warning on my Super-Nimble Mega Hamster.  We ended up making a bunch of trade-offs where he steadily lost LP while I steadily lost card advantage.  We got to a point where I was top-decking and he summoned Thunder King Rai-Oh to attack.  I had plenty of LP, but he was at 1200 LP.  I drew into Mind Control, then another Hamster so that I could overlay for Utopia for game.  Mind Control should really be banned.
-Duel 2: He opened up with a pretty passive hand (he had Sangan and Dark Mimic LV3), so I set up my field for a big Synchro play, but then he dropped Maxx "C".  He had a Kabazauls on the field with a couple cards in hand, so I just decided to go for it.  "I'm going to make you draw into all of your Dinosaurs," I declared.  I let him draw like four times, but I was able to make T.G. Hyper Librarian and another Synchro Monster so that I could draw as well.  With that, I wiped his field, and he drew to seven cards in hand, while I had seven cards total.  He summoned Tour Guide and I negated it with Effect Veiler.  He scooped at that, showing me that he had drawn three vanilla Dinosaurs off of his Maxx "C".

OO

Round 5: vs Six Samurai

I was playing against Shien, and since we were the last two undefeated players, this was the finals.  We decided not to split, because there was really no point.

-Duel 1: He was able to get out Shi En quickly, but he didn't have any back rows to support it.  I was able to drop Gorz and take control of the duel pretty easily.
-Duel 2: He didn't seem to draw any Monsters besides Kizan, but he had a mess load of back rows, including Rivalry of Warlords, to lock me down.  I Tribute Set Gorz, since I couldn't Synchro, but he bounced it back to my hand with Compulsory Evacuation Device.  I lost this duel by getting beat down by Kizan.
-Duel 3: He didn't draw that many Traps, instead drawing a bunch of swarming Spells like Asceticism, so my Thought Ruler Archfiend was able to take control of the duel after my Ryko killed his Colossal Fighter.  After I used MST blindly on his Mirror Force, I knew that Thought Ruler would be safe, and the rest of his back rows were things like Dimensional Prison and Compulsory Evacuation Device, so he couldn't protect himself from Thought Ruler.

OXO

So yeah, I ended up going undefeated and getting 1st place.  I'm glad that I only played against regulars today.  Honestly, there are better players at my locals, but it was nice to play against the relatively good players.  It'll probably be more difficult tomorrow.

Anyways, I got some sleeves and some Kaijudo Core Set packs with my winnings and pulled a second Meteor Dragon.  I wanted to get Crimson Wyvern or Tatsurion the Unchained, but oh well.  Fwazalaza wanted the Meteor Dragon and a set of Patrol Leader, Paladio, so he traded me a Lord Skycrusher and a Shaw K'Naw for them.  So, it worked out.

But yeah, tomorrow (really today, since it's after midnight...) will be the Kaijudo league and another Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.  I don't think that Aki is coming, but he might.  And my friend who plays Vanguard might show up for the league to use the deck I built for him, but yeah, we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.