Monday, September 3, 2012

Tournament Report 9/2/12

So, as usual, I went to locals again.  I took my Nordic Diva deck of course, having changed two cards in the Side Deck and one in the Main Deck.  I felt as though I didn't have enough side for random Synchro decks, so I added Dimensional Fissures.  Yes, Dimensional Fissures.  They hurt my deck a little, but if I have it out, their Junk Synchrons can't really kill my Guldfaxes.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to side it in today, so I don't know how well it'll work.

But yeah, before the tournament started, I played a couple games of Kaijudo against Fwazalaza, and my friend who plays Vanguard arrived and gave me about half of the cards on the list I sent him.  He said he'll have the other half next weekend.  Unfortunately, he didn't bring Mr. Invincibles, so I couldn't change my deck at all.  If I were to have them, then I wouldn't need to run Sagramores anymore, which is the main thing I want to change.  I guess I'll have to wait, then, not that it matters since I'll be at Regionals next Saturday.

So yeah, there were 33 players there today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight...).

Round 1: vs Blackwings

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I whittled away at his card presence, even though he had drawn a very good hand, including Shura, Blizzard, and Kalut.  Unfortunately for him, he didn't draw any Spells/Traps after a while, and while I opened up with all Monsters, they were the more proactive Monsters, like Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and Deep Sea Diva.  So, I was able to just out-advantage him and steal his Armor Master with Monster Reborn while he couldn't do anything.
-Duel 2: I just get hit with too many Icarus Attacks and Kaluts to do anything.  Oh, and I didn't draw many Monsters; just a couple Rykos, I think.
-Duel 3: I opened up with Gorz, Guldfaxe, D.D. Crow, Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror, Morphing Jar #2, and Monster Reborn.  Since Shura is horribly disruptive, I couldn't just Set Guldfaxe and Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror, so I had to just pass.  He opened with Tour Guide into Tour Guide and attacked directly with one.  I dropped Gorz, and he overlaid for Acid Golem.  I topped Smashing Ground to destroy his Golem, then attacked with Gorz and Set the Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror.  He destroyed my field with Dark Hole then attacked me with a Bora.  I Set Morphing Jar #2, since I had drawn another Guldfaxe, and ended.  He played Nobleman of Crossout, which he apparently sides just for me, to banish my Jar.  He then attacked directly with Bora again.  I used Reborn on Gorz in a desperate attempt to kill Bora, but he had Kalut, so it didn't matter.  After that, I just kept setting the Guldfaxes I was holding and tried to hold out for something, but I couldn't draw anything to save myself.

OXX

With that, I considered dropping.  But, there'd be nothing to do, and my Round 1 opponent said that I should stay in in case I get paired up.  So, I decided to keep playing.

Round 2: vs Newbie Deck

Oh look, I was paired up against the guy who got a bye in the first round.  He wasn't very good, and his deck was built almost entirely from cards from the Battle Packs.  A couple regulars had helped him with his deck before the tournament, so it wasn't that bad.  Either way, I just Synchro swarmed him both games to win.

Round 3: vs Dino Rabbit

This guy was a regular who I haven't played against in years, so I'm not going to bother looking up the last time I played against him.  He knew what I was running and such.

-Duel 1: He opened with five back rows.  Apparently he drew no Monsters, and he only drew two Monsters for the rest of the duel.  So, I was able to take my time Setting my Flip Effect Monsters and baiting out all of his back rows.  He just drew really poorly, but that's a risk you take when you play low Monster-count decks that run a bunch of Normals.
-Duel 2: I don't really remember what happened, but I basically had answers to any possible plays that he could've made.  For instance, there was one point where he could've made a Laggia or a Dolkka against my Set Ryko and my Set Mind Control.  I had Gorz and Smashing Ground in hand.  He went with Laggia and lost it to Ryko.  I did Set the Mind Control earlier to influence his decision, but I had the Smashing Ground to deal with a Dolkka, just in case.  I ended up winning with a Gorz that I dropped on another Laggia.

OO

Yay, 2-0'ing Dino Rabbit.  It's mainly just luck, unfortunately.  It's kind of like how Six Samurai were back in the day; they could open so well that you couldn't do a thing to stop them.  But, if they don't open like that, then it's not so difficult to win.

Round 4: vs Blackwings

This was my Round 3 opponent from yesterday (really two days ago, since it's after midnight).

-Duel 1: He opened with three back rows and a Shura.  I played Heavy Storm, and he negated with Solemn Judgment.  I played Dark Hole, then Deep Sea Diva, and he negated with Solemn Warning.  Alright, down to 2000 LP already.  He made a Blizzard play soon afterwards, but I was able to shut it down and make a reversal after baiting out his last few back rows.  After I had cleared his field, I made Catastor to attack directly and win.  Obviously, I should've made T.G. Hyper Librarian, but I used Catastor because that's the card I won both of my games against him with in our previous match.  It was also so that he wouldn't know that I had a Librarian.
-Duel 2: I don't really remember what happened this game.  I think I just had Traps to deal with all of his Monsters and was able to win with random beat-down from Gaia Knight.

OO

Round 5: vs Tele-Tefnuit

That's what that deck that uses Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit, Emergency Teleport, and the Destiny Draw engine is called, right?

-Duel 1: He made a few Xyz and Synchro plays, but I was able to counter them all, and I ended up beating him down with Scrap Archfiend.  Bottomless Trap Hole dealt with his Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, and Mystical Space Typhoon destroyed his Return from the Different Dimension before he could use it.
-Duel 2: This turned out basically the same way as the first game, except he wasn't able to make as many power plays as the first game.  Again, I ended up beating him down with Scrap Archfiend after negating his Inzektor Exa-Beetle with Effect Veiler.  Scrap Archfiend is just bigger than Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger.

OO

Personally, I don't think that decks like that work very well.  I had seen some of my Round 5 opponent's duels earlier, and it seemed like he drew Emergency Teleport a lot more often than he drew Krebons, and he also drew stuff like Return from the Different Dimension, Tefnuit, and Destiny HERO Malicious quite often.  I don't know what was going on there, but I'm just skeptical about the consistency of decks that use Emergency Teleport as an engine.  Though, now that I think about it, the way that he played made it seem like he only ran two Krebons.

Anyways, I ended up going 4-1 and getting 3rd place.  Fwazalaza lost in the finals and got 2nd place.  The guy who won didn't seem very good; he made very questionable plays in the matches I saw him play in, but drew well enough to win anyways.  Well, it's Yu-Gi-Oh, so it unfortunately happens.  Not to say that Fwazalaza should have won the tournament.  I mean, he plays Six Samurai, so he kind of rode through the tournament on luck as well, at least based on the matches I saw.

So, I'll spend this week preparing for Regionals and such.  I have yet to read through the coverage for YCS Toronto, but I heard that Wind-Ups won.  I can't say I'm surprised.  Anyways, I'll probably just take my Nordic Diva deck as it is, or perhaps I'll change up a few cards.  I mean, it did pretty well at the last Regional I took the deck to, and I wasn't even testing it at locals before that.  But yeah, if it fails this time, then I'll probably look into other decks.  Oh, and if it fails quickly enough, then I could drop and go play in the free Vanguard tournament at the other card shop, assuming I get the Mr. Invincibles and such by then.

7 comments:

  1. You'll be surprised at the second place deck though :)

    Jeff Jones made second with a deck he calls Psoil lol

    http://articles.alterealitygames.com/?p=15316

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wind-Ups take the title at YCS Toronto, therefore side (or even main deck) Maxx C if you have it.

    Personally I still don't think Nordic is a good choice. Drawing Guldfaxes in very very painful... And Maxx C hurts the deck more than Veiler, which I think you should prepare for as Wind-Up wil be popular.

    Also, I've been following your blog since you played T.G. Zombies. With 3 Teleport will you play Zombie again?

    And can you please add me to that "Blog worth checking out"? I just started blogging and it's sad to have too little viewers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drawing Guldfaxe isn't bad if I draw other Monsters to go with it. If I just draw a bunch of Guldfaxes and Lost Blue Breaker, then yes, it's painful. And oddly enough, when I play against people who don't know how Nordics work, they tend to side out their Effect Veilers and Maxx "C"s. I don't understand why, but it happens.

      I will not be playing Zombies because Brionac got banned and T.G. Striker is still Limited. The most powerful plays Zombies had involved making Brionac and using it to discard Mezuki and continue the combos. I've also talked about how I dislike splashing an Emergency Teleport engine into a deck that requires its Normal Summon.

      Delete
  3. I'm trying nordic scrap, because hamsters is a good no-tuner, and the opponent waste veiler on it. So scrap chimera and dragon have a clear oportunity.

    You should try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen Nordics and Scraps used together before, and I'm honestly not impressed by that combination. The Monster-count would be too high, and that's not good for a deck like Scraps where half of the Monsters you draw are practically effectless Tuners.

      I've kind of given up on Scraps this format. As long as Dino Rabbit exists, Scraps can't do well; they can't even kill Kabazauls.

      Delete
  4. Question; Why aren't you playing Geargia's with Scraps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any cards from Return of the Duelist. It's not a set I felt was worth investing in. I'll get some packs when I enter the Regional on Saturday, and I'm waiting to see what's in the REDU Special Edition before I start buying singles.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.