Sunday, September 16, 2012

Tournament Report 9/16/12

So, as I said in yesterday's post, I went to locals for the Kaijudo league and Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.

A lot of my friends who read my blog for last week's Kaijudo league were kind of confused at the lack of detailed descriptions of each duel.  That's because there's really no point.  Basically, the way that you get the most points possible for the league each week is to duel three different people, make sure one of those people is someone whom you have never dueled before, and win at least one duel of those three.  It's not really competitive at all, so I didn't feel the need to go through the duels in detail.

But yeah, this week, I was using my fixed up Light/Water/Darkness control deck.  I felt like it didn't have much power aside from Stormspark Blast, which lets a field of Blockers wipe out the opposing field, so I considered adding Fire again.  So yeah, I played against Fwazalaza first and lost.  I didn't draw anything with which to put pressure on him, so he just drew his Stormspark Blast first and killed my whole field.  I'll be changing my deck for next week to make sure that this doesn't happen anymore.

Then, I played against someone who I had never played against before.  He was playing Water/Darkness control that focused on hand control with Specter Claw, Gigastand, and Fumes.  I personally don't like hand control in Kaijudo, but it does work if you draw it early enough.  Unfortunately for him, he didn't, so I just amassed a field of Blockers and killed his whole field with Stormspark Blast before winning.

Lastly, I played against one of the regulars.  He was playing Water/Darkness control that focused on hand control, as well.  He doesn't play any boss Creatures, though, instead opting to use stuff like Finbarr, Council of Logos and Rusalka, Aqua Chaser.  Well, I just killed his Finbarrs with Bone Blades and such, then amassed a field of Blockers to kill his field with Stormspark Blast.  I really don't like having to rely on Stormspark Blast to win like that.  So, I'll change my deck for next week...

But yeah, my friend who plays Vanguard showed up, so I let him use the Light/Nature deck I made for him to play.  He ended up playing a few duels, and he gave me the Mighty Shouter promo he got.  We noticed that the Light/Nature deck doesn't have any really powerful plays, so I'm going to try and fit in a Fire section.  Raging Goliant is good, but I don't know if it'll make the cut once I add the Fire cards.  Either way, my friend learned a lot about Kaijudo today, so that's good.  We also established that Roaming Bloodmane is his Blond Ezel (which we call BEzel, pronounced bay-zel), since you basically can't guard it, and also because there was only one in his deck, like how Aichi only has one BEzel in the anime.

So, after a while, the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament started.  There were about 24 players there today.  I used my Nordic Diva deck, since I didn't have any time to change my deck since yesterday.

Round 1: vs Frog Monarchs

-Duel 1: This duel took almost the whole 40 minutes.  He ended up winning with a series of Creature Swaps towards the end of the duel, and I didn't draw my Tuners, so I couldn't really make any aggressive plays.
-Duel 2: We went into time on this duel, and I won by pushing through a little damage with Super-Nimble Mega Hamster, which I Normal Summoned.
-Duel 3: This duel was sudden death, and he just happened to open with Creature Swap...

XOX

Round 2: vs Dark Worlds

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.  I haven't played against Dark Worlds with this version of my Nordic Diva deck, so I was interested in seeing what would happen.

-Duel 1: She went first with Dragged Down, but my hand was five good cards.  She made a few small plays with Gates and Snoww, but I had Mystical Space Typhoon and Thunder King Rai-Oh to stop her plays.  I killed almost all of her Monsters, then just started poking for damage with stuff like Guldfaxe.  She didn't draw any Monsters (the only ones left in her deck were Trance Archfiend and Fabled Raven), so I won.
-Duel 2: I had sided in a bunch of cards, and she didn't have Dragged Down on the first turn, so I played Dimensional Fissure.  She didn't have an out, so I won.

OO

Round 3: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 4 opponent from yesterday's tournament.  I noted that this match was for much lower stakes than yesterday's match.

-Duel 1: I had counters to all of his plays, and he didn't draw Rescue Rabbit or Tour Guide, so I was able to win pretty easily.  I just plain opened a lot better than him.
-Duel 2: He summoned Evolzar Dolkka under the protection of Forbidden Lance.  My hand was all Monsters, so I lost.
-Duel 3: All he did was summon Thunder King Rai-Oh, and my hand had both Maxx "C" and Effect Veiler (which I only had one of each of in the deck), along with Tanngnjostr (black goat) and other stuff like Guldfaxe.  I Set a random Monster in an attack to safely put Tanngnjostr on the field, but then he summoned Sabersaurus.  I sadly couldn't deal with a Sabersaurus, so I lost.

OXX

Oh well.  I just decided to drop at that point.  From there, my friend who plays Vanguard and I just played Yu-Gi-Oh (I used my Gem-Knights against his Photon/Gagaga deck), Kaijudo, and Vanguard.  He was pretty eager to practice playing Kaijudo, since he realized that he didn't know how to play properly.  But yeah, as I stated before, he improved a lot over the course of the day.  So, with an improved deck, hopefully he'll do a lot better next weekend.  We'll just have to wait and see.

As for me, I'm planning on adding a Fire section back to my deck.  I kind of want to cut the Darkness section from my deck, but Darkness removal cards are just too good.  I think that I'll focus on Fire, Water and Light, but also tech Darkness removal cards like Terror Pit, Bone Blades, and maybe Razorkinder or Death Smoke.  I'm not entirely sure yet; it's hard to balance a 4-color Kaijudo deck.

And for Yu-Gi-Oh, I think that I'll continue using my Nordic Diva deck because I can't really figure out anything else to use.  I'd like to use Geargia, but they're too expensive.  If I can figure out a new deck by next weekend, then perhaps I'll try it out.  Otherwise, I'll just get lazy and use my Nordic Diva deck again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.