Sunday, September 23, 2012

Tournament Report 9/23/12

So, Aki and I went to locals today.  This'll probably be the last time we get to go to locals on a Sunday in a while, since my school starts back up this week.  I'll still be going to locals on Saturday for Vanguard, Yu-Gi-Oh, and then possibly another round of Vanguard.  We'll see, though.

Regardless, first was the Kaijudo league.  Aki and I fixed up his deck, taking away many of the useless Nature cards to add Water Blockers.  We then played one game, which Aki won; my answer to his Bolgash Dragon was Lord Skycrusher, but he bounced it with Veil Vortex, then killed me on the following turn.

I then played against Riku.  He was able to wipe my field with Stormspark Blast twice, but I was able to recover by killing all of his attackers so that he couldn't break my shields before he decked-out.  After that, I played against tsgreen.  Basically the same thing happened, except that he only has one Stormspark Blast, so I just controlled his Creatures with various Spells so that he couldn't kill me before he decked-out.

With my three Kaijudo duels for league out of the way, it was time for Vanguard.  I lent Aki my Invincible Overlord deck so that he could practice playing against my friend who plays Vanguard and his Gold Paladins.  This was basically Aki's first time playing, but he knew what he was doing since he watches the anime and can add multiples of 1000.  He also knows about "magic numbers", which is referred to as "line theory" in the OCG.  So yeah, that's basically all you need to know to play, though I think it would've been better if we were able to start him off with a more linear deck.  As far as Vanguard decks go, Invincible Overlord is relatively complex.  Still doesn't take much skill, though.

After a while, the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament started.  There were like 40 people there today, so that was cool.  I used my Nordic Diva deck, as usual.  I kind of do want to change the deck, but I'm not sure what I would change.  We'll see, I guess...

Round 1: vs Psychics

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I went first with a Set Reborn Tengu.  Yeah, a Set Reborn Tengu.  The other Tengu was in my hand, along with a bunch of Nordic Monsters and Spell/Trap destruction.  He used Mind Control to steal it before attacking me with Card Trooper and handing back the Tengu.  I beat him down with two Tengus on my turn, but then he Set Serene Psychic Witch, which is the key card, believe it or not.  With it, he got Esper Girl, and he summoned another Witch to Synchro Summon Magical Android, netting him a free card.  He killed one of my Tengus, and I Special Summoned Tanngnjostr (black goat) from my hand.  He considered using Dark Hole, but decided to just end.  I used Monster Reborn on his Esper Girl and used Tanngnjostr's effect to get Guldfaxe (not in that order, of course).  I Synchro Summoned T.G. Hyper Librarian, then Stardust Dragon to draw a card.  The card I drew was Lost Blue Breaker... I summoned it, since it would be exactly game with that field, but he dropped Swift Scarecrow after I killed his Android.  He then played Miracle Synchro Fusion and Grandsoil, and I lost.
-Duel 2: He opened with Skill Drain, but no real Monsters.  So, I just beat him down with Guldfaxe for most of the game.
-Duel 3: Time was called at the end of the previous duel, so this duel would be decided by the first change in LP.  He went first and opened with Emergency Teleport and Giant Rat, so he made Psychic Lifetrancer and healed to win.  Eh, it kind of sucks to lose like this, but my matches against him are always so interesting, so I didn't mind.

XOX

Round 2: vs Newbie Dark Worlds

"Newbie" because he didn't have a Side Deck and had to read all of my cards, including stuff like Scrap Dragon.

-Duel 1: He used Dragged Down, Mind Crush, and Deck Devastation Virus to kill me.
-Duel 2: He didn't have Grapha, so I just beat him down.
-Duel 3: He drew all three Graphas and beat me down with them.  I had a Scrap Dragon that cleared out his whole field while the last two cards in his hand were Beiige and Grapha, but then he drew Dark World Dealings, so I lost.

XOX

So that was kind of stupid.  Oh well, it happens.  So, I dropped and got my Kaijudo pack, which had nothing of note.  Aki decided to drop, too, and we just played Vanguard.  This time, Aki used my friend's Gold Paladin deck.  So yeah.

Throughout the day, Aki, my friend who plays Vanguard, and I discussed a possible budget Vanguard deck for Aki to use.  Aki just wanted to use a beatdown deck with a bunch of vanillas from different clans.  We eventually decided on a Royal Paladin deck.  Using the Drangal/Galahad ride chain for potential free rides, the remainder of the cards in the deck are just beaters like Gallatin and Lamorak.  There are also a few cards like Toypugal and Borgal to function as powerful boosters that could be searched out by High Dog Breeder, Akane.  The Grade 3's are kind of random, since my friend has three Lohengrin and one Palamedes, but nothing else that's really relevant.  We even have to use Holy Disaster Dragon as a filler Grade 3...  That's basically it; it's a pretty linear deck that focuses on making 20k/21k columns.  But yeah, my friend basically has the whole deck, so he's going to gather up the cards and I'm going to put the deck together next Saturday.

Aki also put together his Yubel deck.  I got the last two Yubels from Fwazalaza, but it cost me one of my Razorpine Trees... So yeah, Aki is going to try out his own Yubel variant, and then we'll see what happens from there.  There's a lot of ways to play a Yubel deck, which makes it kind of interesting.  But yeah, Aki and I will probably meet up to film more duel videos next Sunday.  And, if I can put together his Royal Paladin deck on Saturday, I might try it out at the evening Vanguard tournament.  So yeah, we'll see what happens next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.