Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tournament Report 9/9/12

Today was the first day for the Kaijudo league.  Unfortunately, because of that, I had to get there two hours earlier than usual, meaning that I couldn't sleep in.  But yeah, I picked up Aki and we went to locals.

We signed up for the Kaijudo league and got those little point-tracking cards.  After that, we sat down and fixed up Aki's Kaijudo deck using some of the cards I got from the box of the Core Set I got yesterday.  We then played a duel, which I won.  After that, we each got a Fire/Nature/Light starter deck so that I could get Grand Gures and Stormspark Blasts.  I took the small Fire section out of my deck to fit in the new Light cards and such.  So, now I'm only running Light/Water/Darkness, like every other control player...

After that, I played a few more games against a few regulars, including Fwazalaza.  He's now running Light/Water/Darkness like me, but he didn't have any Stormspark Blasts.  So, we both put up walls of Blockers until he decked out.  Yes, that's why I run a 45-card deck.

Aside from that, all of us completed as many goals as we could for the league, and Aki and I were able to get up to 20,000 points, letting us each get a Flare Inhibitor (and the new Mighty Shouter, but that's unimportant).  I think I'll run a Flare Inhibitor, but I won't know until I redo my deck later this week.

But yeah, the Kaijudo league was pretty cool.  There were like ten people there, so that was cool.  Hopefully it becomes more popular and tournaments start soon.  Until then, it's just a fun casual game.

So then, the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament started.  There were about 30 players, and I was running my Nordic Diva deck, as usual.

Round 1: vs X-Sabers

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  Again, he wasn't too happy to play against me, since I always run weird decks.

-Duel 1: We both started by just Setting a bunch of Monsters.  He made a push with two Hyunleis (I negated them both) and I pushed back with T.G. Hyper Librarian and Gaia Knight.  He topped Dark Hole with one card in hand, while I had my field and one card in hand.  I couldn't recover from that, and lost the top-decking war.
-Duel 2: We both started by just Setting a bunch of Monsters.  Honestly, X-Sabers are more passive and less explosive than Nordics, which is saying something.  But yeah, enough time passed so that I could draw outs to everything he had and start applying constant pressure.  It's these types of games that reflect the skills of the players, since when both players draw half of their decks, the effect of luck on the game is reduced.  So, I slowly killed off all of his Monsters after baiting out all of his back rows.  I put Dimensional Fissure up after using my Maxx "C", then controlled the board with my Monsters.  He was able to make a reversal with a Gottoms' Emergency Call, but I had been holding Dark Hole for the whole game.  I destroyed his field and swarmed to kill him.
-Duel 3: This duel went into time on my turn.  So, on that turn, I decided to just swarm and do as much damage as possible, since the game had just started.  I dropped Gaia Knight and Scrap Dragon with a bunch of Flip Summoned Monsters and their effects, then Normal Summoned Thunder King Rai-Oh to lock him down.  He had Gorz to block two attacks, but he still took 1900 damage.  And since he couldn't deal any damage on the following two turns, I won.

XOO

Round 2: vs HERO Beat

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  He was using the HERO beat deck of my Round 1 opponent from yesterday's locals.

-Duel 1: He wasted a lot of cards on Xyz Summons, and I was able to make his Heavy Storm into a minus when I Chained Gleipnir and Compulsory Evacuation Device (on his Utopia).  With that, he had one card and I had four, and he didn't draw Miracle Fusion, so I won.
-Duel 2: I made a Scrap Dragon with Guldfaxe and Reborn Tengu, and he used Super Polymerization with his Alius and the second Tengu for Great Tornado.  Quite an interesting move; I had used up my Scrap Dragon's effect already, but I had a Smashing Ground for the G-Tornado anyways.  He drew Miracle Fusion later, but I just made Mist Wurm to bounce his The Shining and leave him without Monsters.

OO

Round 3: vs Valhalla Fairies

This was a regular whom I've never played against before.  But, I knew what he was running and vice-versa.

-Duel 1: He opened up with Valhalla and Kristya, while I opened up with Ryko and Mystical Space Typhoon.  He didn't draw another Valhalla after I destroyed the first one, so he lost.
-Duel 2: He opened up with Valhalla and Darklord Asmodeus.  I didn't have any back rows, so I just took an attack and dropped Gorz.  He destroyed it with Dark Hole to get his Asmo and Deus Tokens and killed me with those.
-Duel 3: The game started much more slowly than the first two.  He didn't start with Valhalla, so I was able to set up my field more easily.  Once he did draw a Hecatrice to search Valhalla, I had Fiendish Chain for the Hyperion he tried to drop.  Unfortunately, he had Gozen Match to lock me down somewhat.  But, since I knew how his deck worked (Aki made a Valhalla-based Darklord deck a while ago), I left his Hyperion on the field until I could OTK him.  All that involved was me drawing a Dust Tornado, which happened like five turns later.  He couldn't do anything since all he had were Level 8 Fairies, so I just set up to OTK and did so.

OXO

At this point, there were four undefeated players left, including myself.

Round 4: vs "Plant" Synchro

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.  He asked if I wanted to split, and I thought about it for a bit.  I kind of wanted to get Kaijudo, which he doesn't play, but I decided that half a box of Return of the Duelist is pretty nice, too.  So, we played without siding to see who would go on to the finals next round.

-Duel 1: I opened up with an amazing hand while he opened up with two Reborn Tengu.  So, I was able to out-advantage him like crazy and win pretty easily.
-Duel 2: I've drawn Lost Blue Breaker quite a lot.  It's not fun.  But yeah, that was my only Monster, so I wasn't able to do much as he made his Synchro plays to kill me.
-Duel 3: Lost Blue Breaker, I like you, but I'd also like you to stay in the deck until I call for you.  Seriously.  I drew other Monsters this time, though, so Lost Blue Breaker ran over his Tour Guide.  He drew into his second Tour Guide to grab Night Assailant and make Acid Golem after a while.  He attacked directly with it, and I dropped Gorz, with the intention of burning him out with his own Acid Golem.  So, I just kept Setting stuff until his Acid Golem ran out of Xyz Materials and he ran out of LP.  When he was at 1800 LP, he Flip Summoned his Snowman Eater to try and destroy his Acid Golem, but I dropped the Effect Veiler I had been holding for a while.  Honestly, I considered using Veiler on his second Tour Guide (I didn't have it for the first one), but a Rank 3 Xyz Monster really isn't that threatening, especially since I had already killed his Wind-Up Zenmaines.

OXO

Round 5: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  I had offered him a split, but he declined.  He said that he would've split with me if I hadn't already split with my Round 4 opponent, since he didn't want to just get a third of a booster box.

-Duel 1: He went first with Rescue Rabbit into Evolzar Laggia and a bunch of back rows.  I was able to resolve a Ryko to destroy the Laggia, but he used Monster Reborn on it, then flipped Skill Drain when I tried to make a comeback.  I was too far behind in card advantage for me to be able to recover from that.
-Duel 2: I drew three Guldfaxe and Lost Blue Breaker.  Lost Blue Breaker, why do you do these things to me?  Guldfaxe is okay if my opponent plays Synchro Monsters, but Dino Rabbit doesn't, so yeah, I lost.

XX

So, I ended up going 4-1 and getting a Hobby League Giant Rat.  Aki went 1-2 drop with his Destiny Debris deck.  I paid for both of our entry fees, so I got both Turbo Packs.  They were out of Turbo Pack 8, so we just got a couple Turbo Pack 1's that didn't have holos in them.  Oh well.  Today was pretty fun, though, minus the last round.

But yeah, after that, Aki and I got a second box of the Kaijudo Core Set, which we made a box opening video for.  I'm going to review the video and put it up tomorrow if I do decide to put it up.  It didn't seem that great, since we were both tired, and we weren't really concentrating on opening the packs in front of the camera, but I won't be sure until I edit it.  But yeah, if I decide to upload it, it will be tomorrow.

Besides that, I'm going to start working on Kaijudo decks for both vadangchoinga and my friend who plays Vanguard so that they can play in the league, if they can make it.  I'm not sure if I'll have enough cards to make two more coherent decks, but I'll see what I can do.  With all of the reprints the Core Set provided us with, I'm sure that I'll be able to figure something out.

2 comments:

  1. Drawing Guldfaxes is paiful, as I said earlier.

    And it seems like you hate Miracle Fusion very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drawing Guldfaxe is only painful if my opponent doesn't play Synchro Monsters.

      I don't hate Miracle Fusion as much as I hate Gilaflame the Assaulter, but it rewards reckless play. You play it after two of your Elemental HEROes die, and then you have a 3200 ATK The Shining that will get back your Monsters when it dies. It's kind of broken.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.