Monday, August 20, 2012

Tournament Report 8/19/12

So, that small chance that I wouldn't be able to make it to locals today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight) did not occur.  So, I got my Scrap Worms together for the tournament.  Yes, Scrap Worms.  I didn't feel like using Gem-Knights again; they're good, but they're pretty inconsistent until we get Zirconia.  And, I didn't feel like using my Nordic Diva deck because I wasn't able to get one of those new Super Rare Wind-Up Zenmaines yet.  Perhaps next weekend...

Anyways, before the tournament started, I played a few games of Duel Masters/Kaijudo against Fwazalaza.  Hyperspatial Vice Hole is really good, yo.  Also, I traded the Super Rare Black Whirlwind I pulled last weekend to spondo for a bunch of the promos from the Excalibur and Dolkka tins.  Basically, I got one of everything except Zenmaines.  That's because I'm still planning on getting a few of the tins, and I don't think I need more than three Zenmaines.

Also, AquaBass was actually there.  He was excited about Atlanteans and said that the Duel Terminal Super Rare Genex Undine has gotten very expensive.  I just happen to have three of them, since I used to play Genex.  When I said that I was thinking about playing Atlanteans, AquaBass said that we can't play the same deck.  Then, he said, "We're going to go on a cruise, and I'm going to throw your Atlantean deck into the ocean. Then he [Fwazalaza] is going to jump in to save it, and he's only going to get two pieces."  We started cracking up at the hilarious reference to the third episode of the first season of the Yu-Gi-Oh anime.  But seriously, I might decide to play Atlanteans when the Structure Deck comes out, which will be in October at the latest.

There were about 24 players there today (really yesterday).  About half of them were regulars, and most of the regulars got paired up against each other in the first round.

Round 1: vs Wind-Ups

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  He said that he won't play Wind-Ups next format because they're bad with only one Zenmaity.  I disagree, but I guess he doesn't really know how to use them aside from the loop.

-Duel 1: He went first, summoning Tour Guide and Special Summoning Sangan.  He Set two back rows and ended.  I Set Scrap Goblin and four cards.  He used Mystical Space Typhoon blindly on my Solemn Judgment in the End Phase (I knew that it was blind because the Solemn Judgment in my Scrap Worms deck is a Common, so he couldn't have used the foil trick).  Then, he played Heavy Storm, clearing out my three back rows and his one.  He then summoned Wind-Up Magician and overlaid his Tour Guide and Sangan for Zenmaity.  He looped to pull out two Zenmaities and a Zenmaines after discarding the Scrap Chimera I was holding, then attacked my Scrap Goblin with all of his Monsters.  When he ended his Battle Phase, Goblin destroyed itself and got me back my Chimera.  He Set two back rows and ended. I topped and played Heavy Storm, destroying both Zenmaities and forcing him to use up both of Zenmaines' Xyz Materials, since I ended without playing Chimera.  He topped a Wind-Up Rabbit and beat me down with it and Zenmaines.  I topped Pot of Duality to grab Worm Yagan, which I Set.  He drew another Rabbit and summoned it.  He considered his options, but just decided to attack my Yagan with Zenmaines.  He took 300 damage and I bounced his Zenmaines back to his Extra Deck.  He ended there.  I topped Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite and summoned it.  He flipped Torrential Tribute and both of his Rabbits escaped to safety.  I ended and he brought back both of his Rabbits after drawing Wind-Up Shark.  He summoned it, then attacked with all of his Wind-Ups, dropping me to 800 LP.  I topped Fiendish Chain and summoned Scrap Chimera.  I revived Goblin with Chimera's effect, but he flipped my Chimera face-down with Book of Moon.  I Set Fiendish Chain and ended.  He summoned another Shark and leveled them both up to Level 5.  He overlaid for Wind-Up Arsenal Zenmaioh, and I activated Fiendish Chain in response to its summon.  He attacked both of my Scraps with his Rabbits, and Goblin got back my Chimera at the end of the Battle Phase.  I summoned the Chimera again, reviving the Goblin again (yay, Chimera/Goblin loop!), then bounced my Fiendish Chain with Zephyros' effect.  I dropped down to 400 LP with that.  I then overlaid Chimera and Zephyros for Utopia, then Chaos Xyz Changed into Utopia Ray.  I detached Scrap Chimera from Utopia Ray to gain 500 ATK and reduce Zenmaioh's ATK by 1000.  I attacked over the Zenmaioh, re-Set my Fiendish Chain, and Set Scrapstorm before ending.  He topped Instant Fusion for a random Level 3 Fusion Monster, then overlaid it and one Rabbit for Acid Golem.  I had to use my Fiendish Chain on the Acid Golem so that I wouldn't die, and he ended.  In the End Phase, I flipped Scrapstorm on my Scrap Goblin to pitch a Scrap Beast to the Graveyard.  I drew a card for Scrapstorm, then destroyed Goblin and got back my Chimera.  I summoned the Chimera and revived Beast to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon.  I used Utopia Ray's effect on Wind-Up Rabbit twice, then used Scrap Dragon's effect to destroy Acid Golem and Fiendish Chain.  That allowed me to push through 6300 damage against his 5300 LP and win.
-Duel 2: He went first with Magician and Shark and looped four of my cards.  I Set a Monster and a back row.  He summoned Zenmaioh and destroyed both of my cards before going for an OTK.
-Duel 3: I opened with a Set Scrap Goblin and two Set back rows.  He looped my two Scrap Beasts and Scrap Chimera out of my hand, then played Pot of Avarice and did some more looping to amass a bunch of boats.  He let me get back my Scrap Chimera with Goblin's effect, but then had a Solemn Warning to negate its summon.  I Flipped Dark Hole, and he had Solemn Judgment.  I had nothing with which to stop him from OTK'ing me on the following turn, so I scooped.

OXX

Dang, loops all three games.  Oh well, at least it won't happen nearly as frequently next format.

Round 2: vs Hieratics

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I opened with a Worm Xex play, but he did his Hieratic stunts and destroyed my Yagan with Nebthet before swarming for an OTK.
-Duel 2: He went for a loop, but failed to OTK me.  So, I made Scrap Dragon and ripped apart his field.  He couldn't retaliate, so I won.
-Duel 3: He went for a loop, but I used Solemn Warning on his Su to protect my Set Gozen Match.  He tributed the resulting Wattaildragon he got off of Tefnuit's effect for another Wattaildragon to attack directly.  I flipped Gozen Match, then bounced it with Zephyros.  I then Normal Summoned Scrap Beast allowing me to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon.  I ran over his Wattaildragon and re-Set the Gozen Match.  He played Monster Reborn on my Zephyros, and I flipped Gozen Match.  However, he had anticipated this, and Tribute Summoned Caius the Shadow Monarch in an attempt to banish my Scrap Dragon.  Too bad for him, I had an Effect Veiler.  He couldn't get over my Scrap Dragon after that, and lost soon after.

XOO

Round 3: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.  When he realized he was up against me, he asked, "What deck are you using this time?"  Last time, I 2-0'd him with Gem-Knights.  The time before that, I 2-0'd him with Nordic Diva.  And this time, I was using Scrap Worms, whose worst match-up is Dino Rabbit.  Yeah...

-Duel 1: He didn't open with Rescue Rabbit, thankfully, and Set a Monster and two back rows.  I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon and attacked his Set Monster.  "Set Kabazauls, Lance in Damage Step?" I asked.  He flipped Forbidden Lance, then his Set Kabazauls.  Ha ha.  I took 200 damage and Set two back rows.  He summoned another Kabazauls, which I attempted to use Book of Moon on, and he Chained another Lance.  He overlaid for Evolzar Laggia and ran over my Cyber Dragon.  I summoned Worm Xex, and he used Effect Veiler.  I then played Foolish Burial, which he negated with Laggia's effect.  Sadly, he knew how the Worms work.  I Set another back row and ended.  He summoned Rescue Rabbit to get two Sabersaurus and make another Laggia.  They attacked over my Xex, then directly.  He Set a back row and ended.  On my turn, I summoned Scrap Beast.  I then flipped Call of the Haunted, on Cyber Dragon.  He flipped Solemn Warning to negate.  I flipped my other Call of the Haunted, and he had to use his second Laggia to negate.  I Set a back row and ended.  He Set a Monster and a back row before attacking with both of his Laggias.  I was somehow able to make a Stardust Dragon to protect myself against what I assumed to be a Set Snowman Eater, but then he Flip Summoned his Sangan and summoned Effect Veiler to Synchro Summon Armory Arm.  Armory Arm let his remaining Laggia run over my Stardust and the Tour Guide he searched with Sangan sealed the duel for him.
-Duel 2: I opened with a Set Yagan and a couple Traps.  He opened with Rescue Rabbit for two Kabazauls, and I flipped Bottomless Trap Hole to banish them both.  From there, we played the waiting game, since neither of us really had anything we could attack with, not to mention he played Level Limit - Area B.  I cleared out his back row slowly with Dust Tornado and MST, then played Heavy Storm to get rid of the rest of both of our back rows.  That let me kill his lone Sabersaurus with Cyber Dragon.  But, another Rabbit let him grab two more Sabersaurus to make Laggia and lock me down.  With so few cards, I couldn't do anything against his Laggia.

XX

With that, I decided to drop.  After that, I played a few duels against Shien's improved Gusto deck.  Thankfully, I decided to use Evigishki Merrowgeist over Maestroke in my Extra Deck for my Scrap Worms, so I was able to easily deal with his annoying recruiters.  I actually like Gusto Gulldo and Gusto Egul, though; they're cool.  Not cool enough for me to waste a bunch of money on Gusto cards, though.

But yeah, I'm planning on going to the flea market on Wednesday to get some of the new tins, some (probably four) copies of Elemental HERO Escuridao, maybe Tour Guides, and some other random stuff for next format.  I should probably make a list or something.

Also, I am planning on making a blog post discussing the new format.  It's honestly very difficult to determine exactly how the format will play out, since the very worst parts of this format (Wind-Up loop and Inzektors) were hit by the ban list, and everyone's just trying out random things.  I'd rather not get into it right now, so I'll save that discussion for a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.