Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tournament Report 8/26/12

So, as stated in my previous post, I decided to go to locals today with my Nordic Diva deck.  I changed a few cards since the last version, basically just adding in Tour Guides to see how they would work out.  They did alright, I suppose.

Anyways, since school is starting back up for a lot of people tomorrow, many of the younger regulars (the high school and college students) weren't there.  As such, my friend who plays Vanguard wasn't there, so I wasn't able to get the cards for my deck.  I was able to go because my school doesn't start up for another month.

So yeah, there were about 30 players there today, with about half of them regulars.

Round 1: vs Fusion Gate HEROes

-Duel 1: I opened with a Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster.  He opened with Destiny Draw discarding Diamond Dude.  He then played E - Emergency Call to grab Stratos, which got him Voltic.  He attacked, letting me get Tanngnjostr (black goat).  From there, I was able to just keep Special Summoning stuff to keep killing his Monsters.  I drew all three Mystical Space Typhoons to deal with his two Fusion Gates and such, so he couldn't really do much to retaliate.
-Duel 2: As I expected, he sided into a more Stun-ish build, and I had sided accordingly.  He was able to get out a The Shining backed by Skill Drain, but then I Set Ryko and Dust Tornado, and since he had no other back rows, he couldn't do anything as I completely cleared his field and proceeded to swarm for game.

OO

Round 2: vs Blackwings

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.  I knew what deck he was running, but he wasn't sure what deck I was running.

-Duel 1: He went first with Black Whirlwind and Shura, searching Blizzard.  Yeah, he already had Kalut.  He Set a back row and ended.  I Normal Summoned Deep Sea Diva and Special Summoned Lost Blue Breaker.  He used Book of Moon on my Blue Breaker, so then I Set two back rows.  He attacked with Shura, then got Kochi and attacked with that.  On that attack, I dropped Tanngnjostr (black goat).  He overlaid for Utopia, then Normal Summoned Bora.  I Chained MST to destroy his Black Whirlwind.  He ended there.  I used Tanngnjostr's effect to Special Summon Guldfaxe from my deck, then Normal Summoned a Tanngrisnir (white goat).  With my three Nordic Beasts, I Synchro Summoned Thor.  Thor negated Utopia's effect, then ran over Bora.  He then summoned Blizzard and used it and Bora to Synchro Summon Brionac.  He discarded Sirocco to bounce Thor, then attacked directly with both of his Monsters.  On my turn, I Special Summoned Guldfaxe and Normal Summoned Reborn Tengu.  That let me make Scrap Dragon, which destroyed the second Tengu and Utopia so that I could attack over his Brionac.  He summoned Armageddon Knight to dump a Vayu, then banished it and Sirocco using its effect for Armed Wing.  He attacked with Armed Wing and dropped Kalut to get over my Scrap Dragon.  That dropped me to 700 LP, but I dropped Tanngnjostr (black goat) from my hand to keep myself from dying.  He attacked it with Armageddon Knight, then played Creeping Darkness to grab Bora and Special Summon it.  On that summon, I flipped the Torrential Tribute I had had Set all game.  He was down to one card in hand, but I was top-decking.  I topped Effect Veiler and Set it.  From there, we played the draw-pass-draw-pass game for a while.  Using that Set Veiler and a Hamster I Flip Summoned that turn, which got me a Ryko, to Synchro Summon T.G. Hyper Librarian.  It ran over his Gravekeeper's Spy, which he had accidentally shown me earlier, and he got his second Spy.  He passed his next turn, and I Flip Summoned Ryko to destroy his Set Icarus Attack.  I attacked with my two Monsters, then ended.  He played Dark Hole, I flipped Solemn Judgment, and then he flipped Solemn Judgment.  He didn't have any follow-up, though.  So, I was able to resolve my last Tanngnjostr's (black goat) effect to finish him off with Scrap Archfiend.
-Duel 2: He opened with Black Whirlwind again and got several searches off of it.  He still had it by the end of the duel, and those of us who played in the Blackwing format(s) know that that means that the Blackwing player wins.
-Duel 3: He opened with Black Whirlwind AGAIN, but I had a Dust Tornado this time to destroy it when he Normal Summoned his Shura.  He attacked my Hamster and didn't have Kalut, so I was able to grab Tanngnjostr (black goat) and start making my plays from there.  By the end of my next turn, I had twice as many cards as him and had baited out all of his back rows.  Without Black Whirlwind, he wouldn't be able to keep up a constant stream of Blackwings, so I was able to win fairly easily.

OXO

Round 3: vs Inzektors

This was my Round 4 opponent from yesterday's tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with Dragonfly and Hornet and I didn't have Effect Veiler, so I lost.  Oh well, that's why I side nine cards for this match-up.
-Duel 2: He drew his Dragonflies and Centipedes without Hornet and Ladybug, so he couldn't really do much.  I was able to take control of the game pretty easily, and once he finally did get his Hornet, I banished it with Crevice Into the Different Dimension.
-Duel 3: We both opened pretty passively.  After a few turns, his field consisted of three Set back rows, two Set Monsters, and a face-up Defense Position Sangan that he had gotten with Tour Guide.  I had a Lost Blue Breaker (which had run over the Tour Guide earlier), and two Set Monsters with five back rows.  I flipped Dust Tornado to destroy one of his back rows (Mirror of Oaths), then Flip Summoned Super-Nimble Mega Hamster.  That got me a Ryko, which he destroyed with Mirror of Oaths.  I then Flip Summoned Tanngnjostr (black goat) to grab Guldfaxe.  I used it and Hamster to Synchro Summon Stardust Dragon.  He flipped Solemn Judgment, and I negated with my own Solemn Judgment.  I summoned Tour Guide, and he used Effect Veiler.  Apparently, he had forgotten to use it on Tanngnjostr.  Anyways, I attacked his Set Ladybug with Stardust Dragon, then his Set Hornet with Lost Blue Breaker, then his Sangan with Tanngnjostr.  Of course, he searched Dragonfly.  I attacked directly with Tour Guide, then overlaid Tour Guide and Tanngnjostr for Wind-Up Zenmaines.  He played Dark Hole, which I negated with Stardust Dragon.  Then, he played Heavy Storm.  Well, he had the Limited cards he needed to break up my field, which ruined my plans.  He made his Dragonfly/Hornet play, knocking both Xyz Materials off of my Zenmaines.  He then overlaid Dragonfly and Centipede for Acid Golem and attacked my Zenmaines to destroy it.  He Set a back row and ended.  I revived Stardust Dragon, then Normal Summoned the Reborn Tengu I drew before ending.  He attacked Stardust Dragon with Acid Golem, then Set a Monster.  I topped Pot of Avarice and played it.  I drew Guldfaxe and Deep Sea Diva.  I summoned Diva to Special Summon another Diva from my deck.  I then used Lost Blue Breaker's effect to destroy his Set Bottomless Trap Hole.  I Synchro Summoned Brionac using Tengu and Diva, Special Summoning the other Tengu.  I pitched Guldfaxe from my hand to bounce his Acid Golem.  I then Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon using Diva and Brionac.  Scrap Dragon's effect destroyed my Tengu and his Set Monster, then attacked directly for exactly game.

XOO

Round 4: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  He knew what I was playing (but still voiced his discomfort at having to play against me and my crazy deck), but I didn't know what he was playing.

-Duel 1: He opened with Rescue Rabbit into Evolzar Laggia and three back rows.  One of those back rows was Skill Drain, which he flipped after using up Laggia's negation effect.  I didn't draw any Spell/Trap destruction at all, so I lost pretty quickly.
-Duel 2: He opened with Heavy Storm into Rescue Rabbit, then summoned Tour Guide on the following turn.  That left him with Dolkka and Laggia, so I lost pretty quickly... again...

XX

Skill Drain isn't a bad choice for the deck, I suppose.  Anyways, I was considering dropping at this point, since I don't really need any of the Hobby League cards.  But, Fwazalaza, who had already dropped after losing two rounds, still wanted Crystal Beacon.  I offered to trade it to him for a Lightray Sorcerer if I were to win my next match (and therefore get the Hobby League card), and he accepted.

Round 5: vs Dark Worlds

My opponent this round was a little kid.  I've been seeing him at locals pretty often recently, and he has been doing okay.  He's can't really keep his composure during a duel, though, and I suppose that's to be expected of a little kid.  At least he kind of knew what he was doing.

-Duel 1: He went first and did some Dark World stunts.  He ended up with Gates and Grapha with a couple back rows.  I made Thor after a couple turns, and since he had wasted his Grapha's discard already, he had nothing to deal with Thor, so I won.
-Duel 2: He swarmed with two Graphas, but then I cleared his field with Black Rose Dragon, followed up with a Guldfaxe and a Set Bottomless Trap Hole.  Bottomless dealt with his Normal Summon, and he didn't have any back rows to prevent me from going for game on the following turn.

OO

So, I ended up going 4-1 and getting 4th place.  I got the Lightray Sorcerer from Fwazalaza and gave him the Hobby League Crystal Beacon I won.  If you're wondering, I decided to get Lightray Sorcerers because of Michael Bonacini's video showing his Chaos deck.  It's quite interesting.

In my Turbo Pack 8, which Fwazalaza advised me to get because he wants Super Rare Gadgets, I pulled an Ultra Rare Skill Drain.  That's the third one I've gotten, so that's cool.  Like the other two, I'll probably trade this one away.  We'll see what happens, I suppose.

So yeah, next Saturday marks the start of the next format.  I may or may not play in a tournament next Saturday, though.  I probably will, and then if I scrub out early, I'd go and play in that Vanguard tournament my friend who plays Vanguard told me about.  That probably won't be the case, though, since it's generally very easy for me to win at the start of new formats.  I guess we'll have to wait and see...

7 comments:

  1. Its brian here and I might want the skill drain. Do u need anything? Also what do u think about etele with krebons and commander in nordics because u can go barkion and krebons being dark would help with bls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you actually read my blog, huh? Well, I'm not sure what I would want for the Skill Drain. If you have some extra Wind-Up Rats and an Ultra Rare Zenmaity, then I might want those.

      As for Emergency Teleport in Nordics, that's not a bad idea. Even if you draw the Psychics, then you can just Normal Summon them alongside a triggered Tanngnjostr (black goat) or a Flip Summoned Hamster.

      But, the fact that drawing the Psychic Tuners isn't bad means that you don't really need the Emergency Teleports for Special Summons. You might as well just play good Tuners like Deep Sea Diva or Junk Synchron.

      Delete
  2. Yes I do read your blog and no I don't have any extra rats or zenmaighty sorry do u want anything else. Also a rough deck list would b. 3 guldfaxe and 3 black and 1 white. 3 hamster 2 ryko. 2 krebons 1 commander. 3 divas 1 breaker. 1 sangan 1 bls. 21 monsters. 3 Mst 2 etele 1 dark hole,reborn,heavy,book,mind control, and avarice 11 magic. 2 warning and judgement. 1 bottomless. 2 torrential. 2 glepnir. 8 traps. The reasons veilers are not in there is the only 2 decks I c being good next format are heroes and dw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, is this the Brian who is spondo, or is it a different Brian?

      That deck looks like a good start. You can see how it works and fix it from there. And I'm pretty sure that people will play decks other than HEROes and Dark Worlds next format. Just because they aren't good doesn't mean they can't beat you if you don't play Effect Veilers.

      Delete
  3. Yes its brian Ramm. Spondo. And I want to hang on to the zenmaighties for now. And well I guess I'd have to find room I realy wouldn't no what to take out and I also don't no what's going to b good or decent n all I can think of that is good or decent doesn't get hurt by veiler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, I'll try to figure out other cards that I might want.

      Anyways, people are still going to run Lightsworn, Chaos Dragons, Six Samurai, Wind-Ups, and other such decks that can be hurt by Effect Veiler. Besides, HEROes now have Heroic Champion Excalibur, which gets completely wrecked by Veiler.

      Delete
  4. Good point ill try and figure space out

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.