Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tournament Report 8/18/12

So, as usual, I went to locals today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight).  What was unusual was that there was the Return of the Duelist Sneak Preview going on before the tournament.  I guess I didn't really discuss REDU at all, but that's because it was covered so well by other bloggers.  In summary, REDU is a pretty horrible pack on the TCG side, since all of the good cards are Supers, Ultras, or Secrets.  Yeah, there's no point in buying packs to pull bad Commons and Rares.

Anyways, I got there early to play Kaijudo and such, so I played Kaijudo and Yu-Gi-Oh against spondo, then used my new Duel Masters deck against vadangchoinga using my Kaijudo deck.  It's pretty unfair, but after the tournament, I let vadangchoinga use my Duel Masters deck against me using my Kaijudo deck and I won 2-0.  Skill plays a big role in Duel Masters/Kaijudo.  Oh, and Saint Ave Maria is pretty cool, too.

But yeah, Fwazalaza and Shien were there, but Shien's Gusto deck wasn't ready or something, so he used his Six Samurai, and Fwazalaza used his Ice Barriers.  I was using my Gem-Knights, but since we weren't all using our DT-themed decks, we did not enact our wager.

As expected, quite a few random people stayed after the REDU Sneak Preview to participate in the tournament.  There were about 26 players there with about half of them being regulars.

Round 1: vs Dark Worlds

This guy was off drinking or smoking or something (some activity that kills your brain cells) and showed up late the the duel.  This was quite irritating, since there's no way of giving out game losses for showing up late at the local level, since there are no judges.  Either way, he wasn't very good.

-Duel 1: He drew all three of his Graphas and ways to discard them, so he won.
-Duel 2: I used Prohibition on "Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World" and he couldn't summon anything bigger than a Gem-Armadillo or a Gem-Knight Garnet, so I won.
-Duel 3: I beat him down with Gem-Armadillo for a while until he played three Reckless Greed and summoned a Tour Guide to make Leviathan Dragon (I had banished two of his Graphas).  With all of his back rows gone, I had the opening I needed to declare "Final Turn".  I made Gem-Knight Prismaura and Citrine using Gem-Knight Fusion, Amber, Obsidian, and Garnet.  Prismaura cleared out his Leviathan Dragon, and Citrine prevented him from dropping Gorz, letting me go for game unhindered.

XOO

That was the first time I was able to actually declare "Final Turn" in a Yu-Gi-Oh duel, since there are so many variables that you can't account for.  Also, I was really frustrated and just wanted to beat him so that I wouldn't have to keep smelling his horrible breath.

Round 2: vs Wind-Ups

I was playing against spondo.  I assumed that he was playing Evols, since he stated that he didn't want to play Wind-Ups today or something like that.

-Duel 1: I summoned Gem-Armadillo and searched Gem-Knight Amber.  He Wind-Up looped three of my cards, but he hit Garnet and Gem-Knight Fusion as two of those cards, which effectively nullified one of the discards.  He didn't Set any back rows, so I was able to swarm with Gem-Knight Fusion and such, destroying his whole field.  Unfortunately, he played Magician and Shark, and I had to use Bottomless Trap Hole on the first Shark, forcing him to get another Shark and use Instant Fusion to make Tiras, Keeper of Genesis.  Tiras cleared out my field and he ended.  I topped Gem-Turtle with nothing in hand and Set it.  He attacked with Tiras to kill my Gem-Turtle, letting me search another Gem-Knight Fusion, then considered attacking with Wind-Up Magician.  He was at 1800 LP or something like that, and he figured that with only Gem-Knight Fusion in hand, I wouldn't be able to attack over the Magician for game on my next turn.  So, he attacked with Magician.  Unfortunately for him, he was wrong.  I top-decked Summoner Monk, letting me make Utopia and run over his Magician for game.
-Duel 2: He went first and looped me.  My hand was all Spells/Traps, so I couldn't retaliate afterwards.
-Duel 3: I opened with Rai-Oh and a couple back rows.  I was doing pretty well at beating him down with the Rai-Oh, but then he was able to get rid of it somehow before looping for an OTK.  He didn't have Hunter, but going for game is the next best thing.

OXX

Round 3: vs Wind-Ups (September 2012 Format)

-Duel 1: He just Set one Monster, and I didn't know what he was playing, so I wasn't sure of what to do.  I summoned Gem-Armadillo to search Gem-Knight Obsidian, then fused it and Amber into Prismaura using Gem-Knight Fusion.  Obsidian revived Amber and I overlaid Amber and Armadillo for Evigishki Merrowgeist.  I had no idea of what his Set Monster was, but I had a feeling that Merrowgeist would be a good choice.  It attacked and kicked his Set Sangan back to his deck.  Prismaura attacked directly and I ended.  He had no Monsters, so he scooped, showing me the two Wind-Up Factories in his hand.  So, instead of keeping that information from me and preventing me from siding correctly, he told me he was playing Wind-Ups so that I could side for them.  Alright then.
-Duel 2: He opened Magician/Shark, and when I put my hand down for him to start looping, he said something along the lines of, "Don't even trip.  I don't play Hunter."  Alright then.  However, he could still swarm the field and kill me, as my hand had nothing much in it.  Well, it had some Traps, but he had Heavy Storm, so yeah...
-Duel 3: I opened with Thunder King Rai-Oh and one back row.  He summoned Genex Ally Birdman.  Then, he activated Wind-Up Factory, Set a card, and played Mage Power on his Birdman.  Alright then...  He ran over my Rai-Oh and ended.  I summoned Snipe Hunter and used its effect to destroy his Birdman by discarding a Gem-Knight Garnet.  After that, I was able to summon another Rai-Oh on my next turn, and he scooped.

OXO

Round 4: vs Chaos Dragons

-Duel 1: The only boss Monsters he drew were Darkflare Dragon and Dark Armed Dragon.  Once I killed them both, he had nothing else with which to beat me with.  So, I just beat him down from there.
-Duel 2: He didn't mill any Dark Monsters, so I was able to beat him down pretty easily.  Without access to their boss Monsters, well, Chaos Dragons stop functioning as a deck.  It's basically just an all boss Monster deck...

OO

Round 5: vs Lightsworn

I was up against vadangchoinga.  Again, he was not happy to be paired up against me, but I don't see why, especially today.  I mean, I'm running Gem-Knights, and he's running Lightsworn, so his luck could easily carry him through this.

-Duel 1: He dropped Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning quite early to kill my Gem-Armadillo and attack again directly.  Unfortunately for him, I played Dark Hole and Monster Reborn to steal it and kill him with it.  BLS is broken, yo.
-Duel 2: He had too many Judgment Dragons, and I couldn't deal with all of them.  Judgment Dragon is broken, yo.
-Duel 3: I was in control of the duel with Steelswarm Roach and Gem-Knight Prismaura out, but then he played Monster Reincarnation on his Gorz.  I couldn't kill the Gorz and its Token (he had Necro Garnda in grave), so I didn't want to attack.  Unfortunately, that gave him the time he needed to draw his Ryko and kill my Roach.  That let him drop his BLS and kill me.  Gorz and BLS are broken, yo.

OXX

So yeah, I ended up going 3-2, but I forgot to check what exactly my ranking was.  I'm pretty sure that I did better than both Shien and Fwazalaza, though.  vadangchoinga ended up getting 2nd, and spondo got 1st, so that was good.  I'm not sure what spondo spent his store credit on, perhaps Kaijudo; I can ask him tomorrow (really today, since it's after midnight) if I remember.

Actually, I may or may not be able to make it to locals tomorrow (really today).  I will probably be able to go, but there is a chance that I won't be able to.  We'll see, I suppose...

1 comment:

  1. "Don't trip, I don't even play Hunter" coolest duelist ever.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.