Monday, May 10, 2010

Rock Stun

Well, I'm not going to be playing my Quickdraw deck anymore. Even though mine is an obscure variant, the deck is too predictable and too slow. Random rush OTK's aren't always reliable, since the amount of Traps people are playing nowadays is really high.

So I'm thinking about going to an Infernity or Frog FTK deck! Just kidding. I'm thinking about using Rock Stun, since Koa'ki Meiru Guardian and Sandman are awesome.

I don't have the money for three Doomcaliber Knights, though. And, Thunder King Rai-Oh and Legendary Jujitsu Master aren't very good this format. Ryko can kill them too easily, and no one attacks randomly into set Monsters anymore, except maybe Gadgets, Blackwings, and Flamvell variants, but those aren't widely played anymore.

So what Rocks would I use? Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo seems like a good choice to mess with "Quickdraw Dandywarrior" and other decks. Morphing Jar and Neo-Spacian Grand Mole are practically staples in Rock Stun, so those are in. But what else?

Maybe stuff like King Tiger Wanghu? It stops Frogs and Infernities, and it can help a little against "Quickdraw Dandywarrior." Cyber Dragon is good, too.

And the Spell line-up? If I run Wanghu, then I'd run Burden of the Mighty. I don't really like the whole 3 Smashing Ground/3 Fissure thing, since it seems like overkill to me. Especially since no one summons anything anymore. Book of Moon and Enemy Controller might be nice, though.

Traps should be self-explanatory. Mirror Force, Dimensional Prison, Bottomless Trap Hole, Solemn Judgment, Dark Bribe, Starlight Road, Royal Oppression. All I'm worried about is the conflict between Starlight Road and Royal Oppression. It should be okay, though.

Wait a second... How does Rock Stun even work, anyway? Everything nowadays is a 1-for-1 card, so how does a Rock Stun deck gain advantage? Battle? Pfft. Practically all Monsters that are widely played are floaters. Gadgets, Ryko, Blackwings, everything. The only way I can see Rock Stun winning is by just making all of the opponent's cards dead. That would probably be pretty difficult.

So, what's some way that I could innovate a Rock Stun deck to improve it? Ryko might help the deck, but milling wouldn't be very good most of the time... Some sort of draw/search engine would allow easier access to the key Monsters. Reusing Guardian and Sandman would also help, but that's only truly possible in a Koa'ki Meiru deck.

Eh, even Guardian and Sandman can't save Rock Stun in this format...

2 comments:

  1. How about using Spiritual Earth Art - Kurogane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that, but it loses you card advantage in most casts. Usually, the Earths I want to reuse (Guardian and Sandman) have to be tributed for their effects, which means I would have to use Kurogane preemptively.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.