Friday, May 14, 2010

Flip Effects

They're way too slow!

I've stopped playing Quickdraw Synchron, since it's too inconsistent and predictable. So, I tried making a Dark Simorgh deck that uses Flip Effects. In testing, I found myself wanting to make plays that I was unable to make because I had to wait for a turn for the Flip Effects.

Just because Ryko is awesome doesn't mean that you can use it in a fast-paced deck. When Lightsworn decks weren't dead, they didn't play Ryko regularly, because it's too slow.

Maybe it was okay to play Ryko last week, because the format was still slow. But now, Infernities and Frogs will be killing everyone. If you live through their attempt for game, Ryko won't help you next turn.

Ryko will still be played, since it's the best answer to Flamvell Firedog and Shura, but it's not going to be as helpful now.

So, thanks to The Shining Darkness, people won't play Ryko as much. But, the moral of the story is to play a faster deck; one that can outspeed the slow decks of last format, but is also consistent enough to deal with Infernities, Frogs, and other OTK decks.

Why did I have Ryko represent all Flip Effect Monsters in this post? Because it's the most widely-played one, as well as one of the best. Regardless, now that I've bashed on Ryko, I'll need to make a new deck to locals...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.