Sunday, May 30, 2010

Regionals Report 5/29/10

As I said in the last post, I went to Regionals yesterday.

I brought my Genex Heroes deck, but I was missing one Genex Undine. My plan was to pull one from The Shining Darkness, since we got five upon entering. I didn't pull any, so I had to TRADE for one. Yes, seriously. It was part of a bigger trade involving Dark Grepher and Cards for Black Feathers, so they just threw it in. I mean, it IS a Common.

Okay, so I did a bunch of stuff throughout the event, so I'm debating on whether or not I should put that here or at the end of the post. I suppose that I can put some here and some at the end.

Like last time, I met with
DarkZeroHour501st, and we actually talked a little more than last time. Mostly, it was about the game itself, and how only very few people can win tournaments. Also, we talked a little bit about how the game is played and how the way to play well can't be taught, only learned. Cliche, but true.

So, it was ten rounds long, since there were over 600 people participating. As with my first Regionals Report, I'll just state the deck that I played against, the result, and a small note.

Round 1: vs Blackwings - XX
-Royal Oppression is evil. This guy was running two Breeze, by the way. He said that it's not as dead of a card as people think if you draw it. It's like drawing a Vayu, except not as bad, actually...

Round 2: vs Fortune Ladies - OO
-Um, no contest.

Round 3: vs Ojamas - OO
-In the second game, he stole my Rai-Oh with Symbols of Duty. I left it on his field for most of the game, since it prevented him from searching with Ojamagic and Ojama Blue.

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beasts - XOO
-I had a bad hand the first game. He had bad hands the next two games.

Round 5: vs X-Sabers - OO
-In the first game, he barely got any X-Sabers. I was confused as to what deck he was running, since he had Giant Rats and Rykos. I guess it was just a budget build.

Round 6: vs Lightsworn - XOX
-Judgment Dragon is evil. But seriously, this guy's build was very good and actually consistent. From what I heard, I'm pretty sure that he topped yesterday.

Round 7: vs Infernities - OXO
-I had Gorz all three games. In the first game, I used it to make a reversal and killed him. In the second game, I had to block an OTK and he Mist Wurmed it away. In the third game, I didn't draw it until I already had control, since I had drawn five Traps in my starting hand.

Round 8: vs Macro Monarchs - XX
-Remove from play decks are too good this format. And, he just happened to draw multiple copies of Macro Cosmos/Dimensional Fissure, even after I kept destroying them.

Round 9: vs Skill Drain - OO
-This guy was playing Blackwings, Cyber Valley, and some other stuff, along with Skill Drain, of course. Skill Drain doesn't hurt my deck much, since Absolute Zero activates off the field and Genex Undine's effect to send a Water to the Graveyard is a cost.

Round 10: vs Machina Gadgets - XOX
-Gadgets gain too much advantage... And, this guy played very well; he didn't randomly dump his Gadgets just to drop Fortress.

After the last round, I noted that my Genex Heroes deck doesn't really win through E-Hero Fusion beatdown. In fact, I didn't draw Miracle Fusion as often as I had hoped. I usually had to win off of poking with Genex Undine and Genex Controller (which is a better card than you think...) for small amounts of damage.

I generally got positive responses from my opponents about my deck, but I still need to refine the deck a lot more. I might take it to locals next weekend, but there are two things standing in my way. One would be the fact that Junk Destroyer is coming out in two days, and that makes my Quickdraw deck(s) viable again.

The second is that I did a bunch of trading throughout the event. I picked up everything I need for an Infernity deck except Infernity Barrier. So, I might want to play Infernities at locals. The problem I'm trying to overcome is how it's extremely easy to Side Deck against Infernities...

While trading, I also picked up a Breeze the Gentle Wind, three Cards for Black Feathers, and a set of the "manga E-Hero" Fusions (three Absolute Zero and one Gaia). And, I got some Synchros, including Infernity Doom Dragon, Black-Winged Dragon, and two Splendid Roses.

Overall, this Regional was better than the last two I went to. I had a lot of fun, played an innovative deck to confuse people (I often played game one without revealing either the E-Heroes or the Genex engine), and placed well. Out of over 600 people, I got 97th. Yay, double-digits!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent job on using something different.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.