Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tournament Report 12/1/12

My weekend was really busy, which is why this week's tournament report is coming out so late.  But yeah, I went to locals yesterday for the usual three tournaments.

First was the small Vanguard tournament.  I decided to use my Nubatama deck (which features the Galahad ride chain and Hell Spiders) since I didn't want to get gradestuck on Grade 2 for like two games and lose because of it.  Well, I did get stuck on Grade 2 in the first round against a newbie Bermuda Triangle player who got double triggers each Twin Drive, so I lost.  I won the next three rounds against a Kagero player who decided not to play Heal Triggers, my Round 1 opponent from last weekend's Yu-Gi-Oh tournament and her Gold Paladin deck, and a Kagero player who played Lizard Runner, Undeux (not as his starting Vanguard, like, he used it to guard an attack...).

After that was the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament with my Debris HERO build.  There were 18 players.

Round 1: vs Newbie Lightraysworn

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.  He's a very annoying person, so I was quite frustrated when I lost 1-2.  He just drew everything each game, and I drew nothing.  That's part of why I put off playing HEROes for so long; if you don't draw Miracle Fusion, you can't do much.

Round 2: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.  He sided into Monarchs, which was interesting.  I don't think that he really thought it through; I just think that he really likes Caius and Zaborg.

-Duel 1: He didn't draw many Monsters, so he was stuck stalling behind a Spirit Reaper.  So, I summoned E-HERO Ocean and used its effect to keep gaining cards.  There wasn't much he could do, but that's what happens when you don't draw Rescue Rabbit.
-Duel 2: He beat me down with a Caius after banishing my Snowman Eater, so I couldn't use my Debris Dragon.
-Duel 3: He drew a few Monarchs with not much to tribute for them.  After seeing the Monarchs in the previous duel, I made sure to kill all of his Monsters so he couldn't set up for a Tribute Summon, so I won.

OXO

Round 3: vs Newbie Six Samurai

"Newbie" because he was playing Great Shogun Shien and Tragoedia... Oh, and he was somehow undefeated, so I was paired up.

-Duel 1: I random rush OTK'd him with a Miracle Fusion/Leviair play.
-Duel 2: He rushed me with a Shi En equipped with Spirit of the Six Samurai.
-Duel 3: I random rush OTK'd him with Miracle Fusion, Leviair, and Monster Reborn, pushing 3800 damage through his Kageki so that he couldn't drop Gorz.  By the way, he had a Tragoedia on the field and didn't know that he could discard his own Gorz to steal my Gorz, so he wasted his previous turn using Zanji to crash into my Gorz...

OXO

Round 4: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 4 opponent from last weekend's Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.

-Duel 1: He went first and was able to keep me from doing anything with Neo-Spacian Grand Mole.  I was able to draw two cards off of Bubbleman's effect, but that didn't do much when he could clear my field with Grand Mole and attack for game.
-Duel 2: I was able to OTK him with Polymerization into Miracle Fusion and such.
-Duel 3: He beat me down with his 1900 beaters and I couldn't do much to stop him.

XOX

So I ended up going 2-2, oh well.  I did get a Gates of Dark World from the Astral Pack, and I traded it to my Round 1 opponent from last weekend's Yu-Gi-Oh tournament for two packs of Kaijudo Evo Fury.  But yeah, I'll probably change decks for next weekend.  I should have some free time later in the week (basically every day except tomorrow) to think of a new deck to use.  I may even go back to Nordic Diva, since I let my friend who plays Vanguard use it for the tournament, and we played a few games for fun, and it made me remember how good the deck was, how fun and challenging it was to play, and how difficult it could be to play against.

With that, my friend and I went to the other card shop for their Vanguard tournament, and Riku met us there.  I forgot to mention it last time, but Riku had made a Bermuda Triangle deck with two boxes of the Banquet of Divas Extra Booster, so I don't have to lend him a Vanguard deck anymore.  I was using my Beast Deity Nova Grapplers, and my friend decided to be serious and use his Royal Paladins.

Round 1: vs Newbie Kagero

I was up against a little kid using a modified Kagero Trail Deck, so I won 2-0.

Round 2: vs Newbie Royal Paladin

I was up against a little kid using a modified Royal Paladin Trail Deck, so I won 2-1 (I lost the first game to multiple Critical Triggers...).

Round 3: vs Lawkeeper Kagero

This was my Round 4 opponent from this Vanguard tournament.  For some reason, he got gradestuck both games again and lost because of it.  I asked him about his grade ratios after the match, and he said he played 13-12-8.  Well, let's just say that that's not a grade ratio I would ever use...

Round 4: vs Bermuda Triangle

He was using the Riviere ride chain, but also didn't seem to know that much about the game.  By that, I mean, he took a long time figuring out how to guard each attack and forgot some of his card's effects.

-Fight 1: He got gradestuck on the Grade 2 Riviere after failing to get either the Grade 2 or 3 when he rode the Grade 1.  So, I just beat him down with my Azure Dragon.
-Fight 2: He got his whole ride chain off, and I wasn't drawing Grade 2's for some reason, so I had to make columns of Grade 1's that could only reach 15k.  So, I just beat up his rear-guards until I could make some real columns.  It was enough to whittle down his resources though, and he didn't check many triggers, so I was able to win.

OO

So that was the last round and I was undefeated.  My friend was also undefeated.  I got to see him get double Critical Triggers against a Spike Brothers player in the third round for game, and he also had an interesting field in the fourth round against a Narukami player; he put the Grade 3 Galahad behind his Vanguard, King of Knights, Alfred, so that his Toypugals would get their bonus and so that not all of his Grade 3's would get destroyed by a Vermillion Thunderbolt.  It was pretty funny, having a Grade 3 behind the Vanguard, like when Aichi called a Gancelot behind his Alfred.

But yeah, so they cut to Top 4 after that.  I was supposed to play against my friend's Round 3 opponent, and my friend was supposed to play against my Round 3 opponent, but we all just decided to split the prize evenly between the four of us.  We each got five packs, but neither of us pulled anything notable.  But yeah, they were free, so that was nice.

After that we went out to eat, and Riku ended up trading his Bermuda Triangle deck for my friend's Dark Irregulars deck.  So yeah...

On the following day (today), I went to the Kaijudo league since it was the last day and I wanted the Sparkblade Protectors.  My friend also showed up, so he played using a mono-Darkness deck I made.  There were only nine people there, so everyone got Sparkblade Protectors, and I also got enough points to get the other two promos.  My friend got the Mother Virus and gave it and the Sparkblade to me.  So, now I have two Sparkblades for my deck, which will probably be changed to support more Enforcer Evolutions.

Right now, it's Light/Darkness/Nature, a weird combination, I know.  It's been working alright, but I'm going to change it up; maybe I'll drop the Darkness stuff, since the Darkness section is just a bunch of good cards that have very little synergy with the deck.  I'll see what I can do, but there's no rush, since I probably won't be able to play Kaijudo for another couple weeks.

Other notable moments include yesterday when Elaine actually kept her promise to save me when I was about to lose, and earlier today when I actually got to reach the stack that Drangal and the Galahads created at the bottom of my deck and won the game because of it.  But yeah, that was my busy weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Lol those debris hero's doesn't it seem kind of slow for this format? or wind-ups,DW, and Alantean-mermail aren't showing up at our locals anymore? ALso I'll be there next weekend probably saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of slow, but I was just using it for fun. I'll probably change decks for next weekend.

      Dark Worlds, Wind-Ups, and Mermails have like one player each at locals. A few people play Six Samurai, Chaos Dragons, and Dino Rabbit. Everyone else plays random stuff, as usual.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.