Sunday, November 18, 2012

Tournament Report 11/17/12

As usual, here's a triple tournament report, which technically took place yesterday, since it's after midnight.

First was the small Vanguard tournament, and I lost the first two rounds by getting gradestuck on Grade 0 and Grade 2, respectively.  Yeah, that's it.

Next was the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.  I had made a new deck last Sunday that I wanted to try out, and it was a remade version of my T.G. Zombies.  Of course, I had to drop two T.G. Strikers, but Unknown Synchron and Tour Guide kind of made up for them.  But yeah, there were 13 players there.

Round 1: vs Machina Gadgets

I was paired up against Riku.

-Duel 1: He got two Gearframes to search his Fortresses, and since he didn't draw any back row, he was able to keep dropping Machines to revive his Fortresses.  I lost because I can't efficiently get rid of Machina Fortress.
-Duel 2: Same as the first duel.  And now that I think about it, I had a bad match-up against Machina Gadgets before Striker was Limited, too...

XX

Round 2: vs Newbie Gravekeeper's

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.  I kept destroying her Necrovalleys with T.G. Wonder Magician, Mystical Space Typhoon, and Dust Tornado, so I didn't have any problem winning 2-0.

Round 3: vs Stun

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: His Thunder King Rai-Oh and Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo killed me when all I had was a Goblin Zombie.
-Duel 2: He played Heavy Storm and Dark Hole while he had a Reborn Tengu out to clear out my field and kill me when I was low on LP.

XX

So with that, I decided to drop.  I got a Vanguard booster pack (Set 2) with nothing relevant.  I also bought a box of Kaijudo Evo Fury for Aki and me to split.  We'll be opening that tomorrow (really today, since it's after midnight) when we meet up.  So yeah, we'll finally be able to make some new videos after not being able to for like a month.

But yeah, my friend who plays Vanguard, Riku, and I went to the other card shop for their Vanguard tournament.  I let Riku use my Invincible Overlord deck while I used my Beast Deity Nova Grapplers.

Round 1: vs Royal Paladin

This was my Round 2 opponent from this Vanguard tournament.  He had a better understanding of the rules this time, but I still won 2-0.

Round 2: vs Gold Paladin (Spectral Duke)

-Fight 1: I got gradestuck on Battleraizer and lost.
-Fight 2: He tried to use his Grade 2 Vortimer's skill when the Grade 1 Vortimer wasn't in the soul.  I don't know if he was trying to cheat or if he really didn't know that he couldn't do that, but my friend told me he tried doing that again later.  Either way, I lost because I couldn't guard early because I didn't have any 10k shields at all.

XX

Round 3: vs Royal Paladin

This was my Round 3 opponent from this Vanguard tournament.  He abandoned his Gold Paladins, I guess, but his Royal Paladin deck isn't complete (like, it uses Wingal...).

-Fight 1: I rushed him and was able to win pretty quickly.
-Fight 2: He rushed me since I was gradestuck on Grade 2.  Honestly, I don't know if I should feel like being stuck at 2 is my fault since I only play five Grade 3's, but I'd rather not get a bunch of useless Grade 3's late-game.
-Fight 3: I won in a close game since I was able to rush in for early damage and he wasn't able to stabilize until it was too late.

OXO

Round 4: vs Kagero (Lawkeeper)

This was my opponent in the finals of this Vanguard tournament.  He was undefeated and I was 2-1, so I needed this win to make it to Top 4.

-Fight 1: He got gradestuck at Grade 1 and I rushed him.  By the time he got his Lawkeeper and Dual-Axe Archdragon out, it was too late; I had like ten cards in hand and a full field to his three cards total.
-Fight 2: Same thing as the first game, sadly.  It's a really terrible way to lose, getting gradestuck, but that's part of why Vanguard is a stupid game.

OO

So I made it into the Top 4, getting 3rd place.  Riku was 3-1, but all of his tie-breakers were little kids, so he didn't make it.  My friend got 4th after going 3-0 for the first three rounds, then losing to my Round 2 opponent, who got 1st.  They had to play against each other in the semi-finals.

Semi-Finals: vs Oracle Think Tank (Soulless)

This was my opponent from the semi-finals of last week's Vanguard tournament.

-Fight 1: He had to ride up to Oracle Guardian, Apollon, but he got a Scarlet Witch, Coco soon afterwards, so he was able to gain his crazy pluses.  He had too many cards for me to be able to rush him, so I lost.
-Fight 2: He got gradestuck at Grade 2 for a couple turns, so he basically gave up at that point.  I slowly killed all of his rear-guards so he wouldn't be able to make a comeback once he got a Grade 3, so I won.
-Fight 3: This game was really close, but he really should've won a lot faster that he did.  Basically, all of his Triggers were at the bottom of his deck, so he didn't have any 10k shields.  But, I didn't have much to guard with, so I kept having to minimum guard against his Vanguard.  So, since he had no Triggers at all, that would be enough for me to survive.  However, he got a lot of free cards off of Coco and such, so he was able to win once he finally got some Triggers.

XOX

My friend won his revenge match, keeping in line with the whole "we never play each other in the Top 4" thing.  But, we all just decided to split at that point since we didn't care enough to play it out.  I got three packs of Set 2 and my friend got eight packs of Set 1.  I pulled another Kirara, so now I have four.  Eh, it could've been worse, I guess.  My friend pulled a Battle Sister, Chocolat and a Maiden of Libra, and he'll be using those in his Oracle Think Tank deck once he gets around to making it.

He also gave me a bunch of the Commons and Rares that I wanted.  So now I have a full set of Elaines from Set 1, which matters because it has a better flavor text than the one from the Trial Deck.  The Elaines from the booster pack literally promise to save you (not that they keep that promise very often).

But yeah, that's about it.  Aki and I will be meeting up tomorrow (really today, since it's after midnight) to make videos, so yeah.

4 comments:

  1. Again...

    I feel sorry for you but...

    And you want to try Mermails?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to try Mermails if their price-tag weren't so high.

      Like I said, nowadays, going X-2 at locals hardly means anything. I don't think I'll be using my T.G. Zombies next week, since the problems I had before Striker got Limited (not drawing enough Monsters/drawing too many Monsters) are magnified now. But, I'm not going to throw down a bunch of money just to marginally increase my chances of winning at a children's card game.

      Delete
  2. I have been trying to use nordics with chain dog to abuse of diawolf (new xyz monster) and disorderly march.

    check the build in my blog, you may like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your post. I don't really like the high Monster-count, though.

      Either way, I wouldn't be able to make the deck until next year, and the March ban list would practically be out by then.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.