Sunday, November 25, 2012

Tournament Report 11/24/12

So, as usual, I went to locals yesterday.  I took Aki with me, and my friend who plays Vanguard and Riku were there, so that was cool.  And as usual, first was the small Vanguard tournament.  I was using my Beast Deity Nova Grapplers, Riku was using my Invincible Overlord deck, Aki was using his recently-completed Narukami deck (now with four Vermillions), and my friend decided to use a Gold Paladin deck with eight Draw Triggers...

I was paired up against Riku in the first round and lost because I got gradestuck at Grade 2.  I won the second round against a Tsukuyomi Oracle Think Tank player because apparently he drew poorly, despite getting his ride chain and six cards in the Soul.  I won the third round against my Round 2 opponent from this small Vanguard tournament.  He changes decks like every day, so I don't remember what he was using.  And I lost the fourth round because I got gradestuck at Grade 1.

After that was the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.  Aki was using his Debris HERO deck that has been featured in recent videos.  I decided to make a Debris HERO deck of my own, since I've had all of the cards and such.  Instead of stuff like Neos, Necroshade, and Voltic, I used stuff like Woodsman, Tour Guide, and Cloudian - Poison Cloud.  Yes, Cloudian - Poison Cloud.

Round 1: vs Dark Worlds

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I got rid of her back row and she wasn't able to spam Grapha, so I was able to win pretty easily.
-Duel 2: She resolved Morphing Jar, so she won.
-Duel 3: I used Super Polymerization with my Bubbleman (my only Monster) and her Trance Archfiend for Escuridao.  I then read and destroyed her Dimensional Prison with Mystical Space Typhoon.  That was her only out to Escuridao, so I won.

OXO

Round 2: vs Stun

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  It would be revenge time, if it weren't for the fact that he traded me a Twin Blader and an Asura Kaiser before the tournament.  I just need two more of each, now...

-Duel 1: He opened with Thunder King Rai-Oh.  My hand was all search cards, so I Set Debris Dragon.  He summoned Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo, then attacked.  Apparently his deck has no outs to 2000 DEF walls, so we just played the draw-pass-draw-pass game for like ten minutes.  After a while, I tried to use Heavy Storm, but he used Solemn Judgment.  Then, a couple turns later, he used Heavy Storm, destroying my four Set Spells and his four Traps.  He Chained Compulsory Evacuation Device to bounce his Fossil Dyna so that he could overlay for Utopia to run over my Debris Dragon.  I then made Black Rose Dragon using my other Debris Dragon to destroy his field.  At this point, card advantage was pretty even, but he he wasted a lot of his back row, so what he had left was mostly Monsters.  So, I was able to make some big plays, like with Miracle Fusion, to win.
-Duel 2: He beat me down with King Tiger Wanghu, then Doomcalibur Knight, and Rai-Oh until I was at 400 LP.  I was able to make a comeback with Miracle Fusion after getting rid of his back row to win, though.

OO

Round 3: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I opened with a Set Woodsman and two back rows.  He played MST on my Set Polymerization, then attacked into my Woodsman with D.D. Assailant.  That let me get back my Polymerization on my turn.  I steadily gained advantage on him over the next few turns, then I beat him down with one of my Fusions.
-Duel 2: I was able to stall him out using Woodsman again, and after a while, I went for an OTK using Polymerization, Tour Guide (into Leviair) and two Miracle Fusions.

OO

Round 4: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.  We were the last two undefeated players, and we decided not to split.

-Duel 1: He opened with a vanilla Dinosaur and two back rows.  I used King of the Swamp to grab Polymerization, then Debris Dragon to go into Black Rose Dragon and destroy his field.  I made Absolute Zero using Polymerization, Ocean, and Woodsman, then attacked directly.  He dropped Gorz.  "Absolute Zero does not care if you have Gorz," I declared.  He had no choice but just to attack Zero with Gorz and lose his field again.  I then used Monster Reborn on his Gorz to bait out his back row, then made a Miracle Fusion/Tour Guide play to swarm the field and win.
-Duel 2: He was able to beat me down with Thunder King Rai-Oh and such, and he had just enough back row to deal with all of my plays.
-Duel 3: He opened Rescue Rabbit into Laggia with two back row, while my only Set cards were Woodsman and Fiendish Chain.  I was able to destroy his back row with Heavy Storm, as I Chained the Chain to negate his Laggia's effect.  From there, I made a Tour Guide play and took his banished Rescue Rabbit.  That put the Tour Guide in my Graveyard, letting me use Miracle Fusion for Escuridao to run over his Laggia.  I was wary of Gorz, so I didn't attack with Leviair.  He killed it with Rai-Oh on the following turn, then I summoned Neos Alius.  He flipped Torrential Tribute, and I ended there.  He topped Monster Reborn for his Rescue Rabbit and made another Laggia.  All I had left was Cyber Dragon, Neos Alius, and Bubbleman.  I tried to bait out his Laggia's negation with Cyber Dragon or Neos Alius, and he did think about it for a while, but he didn't fall for it.  So I was unable to do anything against his Laggia.

OXX

So, I ended up going 3-1 and got 4th place.  Despite the fact that I only played against regulars today, my first three opponents went X-2, which hurt my tiebreakers.  Only the Top 3 got prizes today, so I got nothing...  It was quite disappointing.  Oh well, I'll just try again next weekend.

So after that, Aki, Riku, my friend, and I went to the other card shop for the Vanguard tournament.

Round 1: vs Gold Paladin

-Fight 1: He didn't guard until he was at four or five damage.  I have no idea of what he was doing, since he didn't call many rear-guards, but he also declined to guard when he had plenty of cards in hand.  One of his rear-guard columns was completely empty for the entire game...
-Fight 2: I got gradestuck at Grade 2.
-Fight 3: All of his damage was Draw or Heal Triggers, and he won with double Criticals.  I was really annoyed that I lost, since he really had no idea of what he was doing.  I even asked if it was his first time playing Gold Paladins, and he didn't answer.

OXX

Round 2: vs Pale Moon

I was up against one of my friend's friends.  I knew that he was a bad player, so I wasn't too happy to play against him.  He basically misplayed a lot throughout the match and I won 2-1.  I lost the second game because all of his damage was Draw or Heal Triggers...

Round 3: vs Invincible Overlord

I was paired up against Riku, so it was time for revenge for earlier.  I won 2-0.

So, Aki and I went 2-1 (Aki lost to my friend in the third round), Riku went 1-2, and my friend made it into the Top 4 with a 3-0 record.  He ended up getting 2nd place and getting five packs of Set 1.  He didn't pull any Asura Kaisers, sadly, but he got me some Common Granblue stuff.

But yeah, that's about it.  I'll be going to locals next Saturday, and possibly Sunday as well.  It's the last day for the Kaijudo league, and I want those Enforcer Evolutions...

6 comments:

  1. What are your Debris targets?

    Congrats for the improved results btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two King of the Swamp and one Cloudian - Poison Cloud. I use Poison Cloud since I can grab it with Tour Guide and it still allows access to Gungnir, unlike Night Assailant. Aki uses Spirit Reaper and Snowman Eater instead, since he doesn't have Tour Guides.

      Delete
  2. Hi can you do more tourney reports on cardfight vanguard? I do enjoy reading them. Do add us on your blog list thx. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, you do know that I don't think that Vanguard is a game worth discussing, right? The reason my tournament reports for Vanguard are so short is because the game ultimately comes down to who gets luckier, assuming both players are at least fairly competent, and it's not hard to be competent at Vanguard.

      Basically, Vanguard is such a simple game that I don't care enough to blog about it. The only Vanguard content on my blog will be the short tournament reports and that one post where I wrote about how all of the skill in Vanguard is just knowing how to use basic math.

      Delete
  3. Infernity Barrier is going to get reprinted...Looking forward to your magic with infernities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I heard about that. However, we still have to wait for Hidden Arsenal 7 for Infernities to be at their full power. Lavalval Chain stacking Infernity Archfiend is too good.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.