Sunday, December 23, 2012

Tournament Report 12/22/12

So, since the world didn't end on Friday, I went to locals.  This will be a fairly short post since I didn't enter the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.

First was the small Vanguard tournament with nine players.  I was using a Megacolony deck I made entirely out of Commons and Rares that I got for free from people who didn't want them.  I got a bye, then beat my friend who plays Vanguard and his new Pale Moon deck, then lost to a Megacolony deck since he got a sixth damage Heal Trigger... twice...  I got 2nd place and two of the new promo packs, but didn't pull anything good.

So, while the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament was in progress, my friend and I went to Panda Express to have lunch.  Riku ended up going 1-2 and dropping.  The tournament was won by a little kid who apparently had no idea of what he was doing (or so I'm told) and his Six Samurai deck.  I think that this pretty much sums up what I was talking about in the previous post: this game doesn't take skill anymore; it has basically just degenerated into Vanguard where luck decides everything.  If skill somehow returns to Yu-Gi-Oh, I'll play in tournaments again, but otherwise, it's not worth it.  At least Vanguard tournaments are free, yo.

After that was the other Vanguard tournament at the other card shop.  I was using my new Nova Grappler build that uses the Blau- ride chain.  I had gone to the flea market on Wednesday and gotten two Blauklugers and a third Stern Blaukluger for $18.  But, I sold a random holo for $2, so that brought up my net spending on Vanguard to $70.  So yeah, I could finally stop running White Tiger.  I have nothing against it, but 5k boosters suck against crossrides.  The reason why this matters is because someone there runs the Grade 4 Great Nature card with 13k Power, so I'm basically playing right now as if crossrides exist so I won't auto-lose to him.  Yeah, that also means that I traded in my Stands for Crits, sadly.  And as usual, my friend was using his Royal Paladins (now with 12 Critical Triggers) and Riku was using Dark Irregulars.  We're going to try and get some Death Anchors so he doesn't have to run Reijy anymore.

But yeah, I won the first round against an Oracle Think Tank player that normally uses Tsukuyomi, but was trying out a Soulless build.  He misplayed by putting down front-row rear-guards for me to attack, so I didn't have to give him two damage by the time he rode Scarlet Witch, Coco.  So, I was able to win easily.  I won the second round against a Dark Irregulars player who really had no idea what he was doing.  I won the third round against a Spectral Duke Gold Paladin player since he didn't realize that Moai the Great boosted by Tough Boy is a 20k column, so he guarded incorrectly.  I lost the fourth round against a Dimension Police player who got his Enigman Ripple every game.

So, my friend, Riku, and I all went 3-1.  My friend and I made it into the Top 4, but Riku's tiebreakers weren't good enough, apparently.  The other two players in the Top 4 were my Round 3 opponent and my friend's Round 4 opponent (whom he lost to).  We all decided to split and get six packs each.  I got Set 4 and pulled an Enigman Wave, which I gave to my friend since he wants to build Dimension Police, and a fourth Stern Blaukluger for my deck.  I just hope I don't pull any more, ha ha.  And I don't even know what I want to take out for it.  I'll figure it out later.

But yeah, so I got a bunch of free Vanguard cards today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight).  Not bad, I suppose.  I also got custom play mats printed up for Aki and myself.  I just used my Rotom picture again, except without the rectangles for the zones.  I also made the picture a little brighter, but it ended up being printed a lot brighter, so I don't know how I feel about that.  Aki chose to use a picture of Valkyrie Windbreaker Dragon for his mat.  We'll probably use the mats in the next set of duel videos, which we'll be recording on Wednesday, so you'll get to see them then.

8 comments:

  1. Post your megacolony deck, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it is:

      Grade 3: (7)

      3 Death Warden Antlion
      2 Master Fraude
      2 Bewitching Officer, Lady Butterfly

      Grade 2: (11)

      3 Tail Joe
      2 Water Gang
      4 Bloody Hercules
      2 Toxic Trooper

      Grade 1: (15)

      4 Phantom Black
      3 Megacolony Battler B
      2 Gloom Flyman
      4 Machining Mosquito
      2 Stealth Millipede

      Grade 0: (17)

      1 Megacolony Battler C

      4 Sharp Nail Scorpio
      3 Sonic Cicada
      2 Awakening Dragonfly
      3 Raider Mantis
      4 Medical Battler, Ranpli

      Like I said, it's really budget, since I made it solely from Commons and Rares I got for free from other people. But, it's Vanguard, so you can win with anything if you're lucky enough.

      Delete
    2. Antlion megablast deck!!! A budget deck indeed. Have you ever succeed in using its megablast? You say you can win with anything? Even beating Garmore toolbox deck or even Full Moon deck before? They are very powerful decks, you know.


















      Delete
    3. I've used the megablast once, but that's not the deck's main goal. The Soulcharging helps me fuel Master Fraude's effect more than anything, so I can draw cards while taking out rear-guards.

      It's Vanguard. If you get lucky enough, you can win with anything, against anything.

      Delete
    4. Luck? Luck? Not so with perfect raizer deck. I lost to that deck easily with its immense attack of up to 32k with 2 critical, non-boost.

      It's almost impossible to guard that, unless I perfect guard.

      Delete
    5. It's not almost impossible to guard that. If they couldn't ride a Raizer card for each ride and then add one more to the Soul with Perfect Raizer's on-ride effect, then they'd have to minus like crazy, meaning that their rear-guard columns would be terrible.

      And you're not taking into account Trigger-sacking or misriding. If your opponent never gets a Grade 1, you'll win, more often than not. That's all luck. Player skill is minimized in a game like Vanguard where overwhelming luck on one side can make it impossible for the other side to win.

      Delete
  2. Hey, you cheat, Grunty. Don't all players announce their rearguard ATK power before they attack? You didn't declare 20k when you use Moai boosted by tough boy, causing that player to misguard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I declared it when I attacked with it. He didn't realize it was 20k until I attacked with Moai the Great, and by that point, he had already misplayed.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.