Sunday, December 30, 2012

Tournament Report 12/29/12

So, I went to locals for the last time this year.  I have been wanting to post stuff other than tournament reports, but there hasn't been much to discuss, at least on the TCG side.  I haven't been keeping up with Fire Fists, Sacred (Constellar), and Verz (lswarm), but they're all doing stuff in the OCG, apparently.  I just haven't had the motivation to keep up with them anymore.  Part of that is because I've been playing Pokemon Colosseum (that really old game for the Gamecube with the Shadow Pokemon) and Assassin's Creed (both Revelations and 3).

But yeah, I went to the usual card shop for their Vanguard tournament yesterday.  There were actually like 16 players there.  Half of them were newbs who just started out, so yeah.  I was using my Blau-series Nova Grappler deck, since I actually wanted to win extra promo packs and try to pull No Life King, Death Anchor for Riku's Dark Irregulars deck.

In the first round, I played against a newbie with a Narukami Trial Deck who got gradestuck on Grade 2, so I won.  In the second round, I played against a newbie (Spectral Duke) Gold Paladin player, but I got gradestuck on Grade 0 for the whole game and lost, which is ridiculous since I play 16 Grade 1's.  For the third round, I played a mirror-match against one of the regulars who switches decks every week or something and won because he drew a bunch of Triggers.  In the last round, I played against a newbie (Spectral Duke) Gold Paladin player and won because I kept killing his rear-guards so he couldn't effectively put pressure on me.  However, I was paired down in that last round, which ruined my tiebreakers, so I didn't get any additional packs.  My friend (who still needs a name) got 2nd place with his Snogal Royal Paladins, but none of us pulled Death Anchors.

However, my friend brought all of his extra Dark Irregulars stuff for Riku, so we fixed his deck so he doesn't have to rely on Reijy and the Demon Bike things anymore.  Now it focuses on Demon Eater (until he gets Death Anchors) and Doreen to make 21k lines.

But yeah, after that was the other Vanguard tournament.  There were almost 30 players there or something.

Round 1: vs Shadow Paladin

Last week, I saw that this guy timed his Phantom Blaster Dragon very badly, so I wasn't too worried.  He didn't make any such mistakes this time, but it wasn't too difficult for me to win 2-1.  What was ridiculous is that he pulled his Critical Triggers as often as I did; he only has four, and I have twelve, so that shouldn't happen.

Round 2: vs Gold Paladin

This was the same Gold Paladin player that I played against in Round 1 of this Vanguard tournament.  I don't know what his deal is, since he always sighs before he does anything (including guarding, attacking, and even speaking...).  I asked why, and he responded with "Why do you hate me for guarding for so low?"  I told him that guarding one-to-pass on the Vanguard is wrong (in most situations), but he insisted that it was correct.  Well, I won 2-0, since he kept guarding one-to-pass on my Stern Blaukluger.  On the final turn of the second game, I did five damage, four of which was from Stern because he guarded one-to-pass (10k worth of shield) even though he had another 5k in his hand.  If he had guarded correctly, he would've taken two damage from the Critical Trigger, which would've gone to my rear-guard.  But instead, he tried to prove me wrong and lost because of it.  You can get lucky guarding one-to-pass against a Vanguard, but it's mathematically stupid.

Round 3: vs Dimensional Police

This was my Round 4 opponent from last weekend's Vanguard tournament.  For some reason, he likes to keep all of his cards in his hand instead of calling rear-guards.  So, although he had a bunch of cards to defend with, he couldn't force more than three cards out of my hand during each of his turns, meaning that my card advantage was keeping constant throughout the game.  Anyways, in the first game, he had like eleven cards in hand when my Vanguard Stern Blaukluger attacked his Enigman Storm.  He guarded two-to-pass and my first Drive Check was a Critical Trigger.  He was at four damage, and he had so many cards in hand, so he would've been able to guard even if I gave the Trigger to my rear-guard.  So, I gave it to my Vanguard and pulled a Heal Trigger to push through his guard and win.  Trigger-sacking at its finest.  I won the second game because I was able to whittle down his card advantage, but he didn't form any real rear-guard columns to pressure me with.

At this point, there were four undefeated players left, and the tournament organizer was in a bad mood and wanted to close early or something, so he cut to Top 4.  I made it, since I was undefeated.  The total prize pool was 22 packs, so we decided to split five packs each, then play our Top 4 pairing for the last two packs.  The winners of the two games would each get an extra pack, if that makes any sense.

Top 4: vs Gold Paladin

His starting Vanguard was Kyrph.  The other two Top 4 were both Spectral Duke Gold Paladin players.  Anyways, my opponent opened with two Gigantech Destroyers, so I was able to pressure him early.  He also used Kyrph's superior ride effect on his third turn (the turn where he could've normal ridden one of his Gigantech Destroyers) and used Ezel's Limit Break twice to call out a Speeder Hound and a Halo Shield, Mark.  He didn't trigger-sack me, so all of the early pressure I put on him helped me win the turn after that, since he didn't have much to guard with.

So, I won six packs of Set 4.  The only notable card I pulled was Blaster Dark, which I traded to the shop for a pack of sleeves for Aki.  I didn't even get any holos, and I already have all of the Commons and Rares that I would want from Set 4, so that sucked.

Either way, I was able to trade my Battle Sister Chocolat for a damaged Twin Blader and an Epitome of Knowledge, Silvest.  Now I have three Twin Bladers, so that's cool.  I'm going to add it to my deck and change it around a little bit.  Asura Kaiser has been pretty useless, so I might take it out for a third Moai the Great, which has been the opposite of useless.  Dancing Wolf has also been kind of useless; if my opponent can't guard Stern Blaukluger the first time, they probably won't be able to guard it the second time, especially if I get a Trigger.  Dancing Wolf pushes out another 5k guard on the second attack due to its +3k effect, but it seems like overkill.  So, I'll probably drop one for the third Twin Blader, and I'll drop the other Dancing Wolf for something else.  And, I'm considering using some Draw Triggers again, we'll see...

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought I made it clear in my "The Current State of Yu-Gi-Oh" post that I'm taking a break from tournaments until either the format gets better or Hidden Arsenal 7 is released.

      If I don't have fun playing in Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments and I don't gain anything from it, then I don't see the point in playing. I still play Yu-Gi-Oh with my friends for fun, though.

      Now that I think about it, Vanguard tournaments aren't much fun either. The vast majority of all Vanguard players I've met are pretty bad, but I guess that's to be expected in a game that takes very little skill. It's not fun playing against bad players, regardless of whether I win or lose, but that's basically all that happens in Vanguard tournaments.

      I still play in Vanguard tournaments, though, because they're free. I lose nothing from entering them, I get to hang out with my friends, and I can win free stuff if I'm lucky.

      But, I don't want to rely on getting lucky to win. That's why I'm hoping that Yu-Gi-Oh will get better. If it doesn't, then there's always free Vanguard tournaments, along with the upcoming announcement of Organized Play for Kaijudo.

      Delete
    2. The format gets better?

      If there'd be more broken themes which CAN actually beat Mermails and Wind-Ups, do you think the format will be better? I don't.

      It's exactly 3 months ahead until the new format and I see no point of waiting for it. Broken themes get banned and more broken themes will be released.

      Delete
    3. Your response is ambiguous. Do you mean that there's no point in waiting for the format to get better, so I should just quit altogether? Or that there's no point in waiting, so I might as well suffer through the current format?

      Well, I'm not going to throw away my money if I'm not going to have any fun playing. If the game never gets better, then I guess I'm just waiting for Hidden Arsenal 7.

      Delete
  2. Are the Kaijudo players over there bad too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some of them are little kids who just started, so yeah...

      But most of the other Kaijudo players are either people who used to play Duel Masters or some of the better Yu-Gi-Oh players who wanted to try out a more skill-based game. Some of less adept Kaijudo players quit the game for Vanguard because Kaijudo was too difficult for them.

      In fact, the only two people who play both Kaijudo and Vanguard, besides myself, that I know are Aki and Riku.

      Kaijudo is a really skill-intensive game. Sure, you can be bailed out by luck sometimes (like having Stormspark Blast as your last shield), but if you don't know what you're doing, you're going to lose more often than not.

      Delete
    2. I'm kind of interested in Kaijudo. Is Kaijudo the expensive game? I hope not. The reason why I quit YGO is because most cards are expensive, especially the synchro or Xyz monsters, even effect monsters like Effect Veilers are costly too.

      Delete
    3. Kaijudo is a fairly inexpensive game. It's easy to start with a starter deck or two, and all of what people would consider "staple" cards for each Civilization are non-holo, like Terror Pit or Stormspark Blast. They can also be found in starter decks, making them easy to get.

      Delete
  3. LightGrunty, can you post the deck for No Life King that you are building for your friend? Also, are your friends, Riku and Aki japanese? Cuz their name is very japanish,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aki and Riku are not their real names. We prefer not to use our real names due to privacy reasons. Anyways, here's Riku's current deck list:

      Grade 3: (7)

      3 Demon Eater
      2 Dark Lord of Abyss
      2 Evil Eye Basilisk

      Grade 2: (12)

      4 Blue Dust
      4 Demon of Aspiration, Amon
      2 Flirtatious Succubus
      2 Decadent Succubus

      Grade 1: (14)

      4 Doreen the Thruster
      4 Alluring Succubus
      4 Poet of Darkness, Amon
      2 Yellow Bolt

      Grade 0: (17)

      1 Devil in Shadow

      4 Blitz Ritter
      4 Dark Knight of Nightmareland
      4 Mad Hatter of Nightmareland
      4 Cursed Doctor

      He plans to get perfect guards, as well as replace the Demon Eaters with Death Anchors when he gets them.

      Delete
  4. LightGrunty, I have a question to ask. In my locals, alot of Vanguard players are fast players and they drive check fast and put it to their hands before I even get to see it. Sometime, they're so fast that they already perform drive check without even asking me if I want to guard or not, making me feel so angry that I want to punch them in their face. How do you deal with those players?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just ask them to slow down. Tell them to place the drive checked cards completely on the table to let you see them before adding them to your hand. Technically, there is a "Trigger Zone" where checked cards are supposed to be placed, so the rules are on your side. Also, when you decide not to guard their Vanguard's attack, make it clear. If you simply do nothing, then they may mistakenly assume that you have decided not to guard if you take too long to think about it. Just be clear in your intentions, and ask them to wait if necessary.

      Both drive checking before giving you a chance to guard and doing it so quickly that you cannot confirm the cards are considered cheating. If they continue to do so, despite you asking them not to, inform the judge or tournament organizer. You shouldn't suffer because they try to break the rules. Hopefully it doesn't have to come to that, though.

      Delete
  5. Do peoples in your region play japanese vanguard? Cuz I see quite a couple of americans play japanese vanguard too. Also, do you ever heard of Weis schwarz trading card game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone who plays Vanguard with Japanese cards, although Aki told me that some of his friends do.

      I know about WeiB Schwarz. Aki has a couple decks and we play sometimes.

      Delete
    2. Cool, can you help me make a good Weis Schwarz deck and also explain to me how to win with it? Thank.

      Delete
    3. Uh, I've never made a WeiB Schwarz deck before. I don't have any cards; Aki made the decks we use.

      Just start with a Trial Deck.

      Delete
    4. Can you tell me a good trial deck to use?

      Delete
    5. I know nothing about the Trial Decks. Like I said, I've only played with Aki using the decks he builds. All I know about the game is the rules and such.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.