Thursday, January 3, 2013

Random Stuff #52

I've been wanting to post stuff, but there's really nothing to discuss anymore.  As you know, I haven't been playing Yu-Gi-Oh competitively, so there's really nothing to discuss with regards to that.  I'm waiting for more updates for Kaijudo (organized play and such), and there's never anything to talk about for Vanguard.

But yeah, recently, I've just been playing through some video games.  I finished Pokemon Colosseum without wasting a bunch of time power-leveling all of my Pokemon.  I got everyone on my team up to Level 48 then went for the final boss.  It was kind of difficult, but the fact that he used a Slaking that basically lost half of its turns due to its ability made it pretty simple, since I could just gang up on the other Pokemon he had out.  Yeah, Double Battles were a large part of why I really liked Pokemon Colosseum; they're more exciting than Single Battles.

I also liked how the game was about making a balanced team as best as you could with a bunch of random Pokemon.  There were no wild Pokemon to catch; you had to steal ("Snag") Shadow Pokemon from other Trainers to make your team.  My final team ended up being Typhlosion, Jumpluff, Quagsire, Ampharos, Flygon, and Altaria.  I already decided from when I started the game that Jumpluff and Quagsire would be on my team, so I caught Quilava (over Bayleef and Croconaw) to balance out the team.  I also wanted to use Gligar, but then I realized that Flygon is just better than Gligar in every way possible, since Gligar can't evolve in Generation III.

But yeah, in previous playthroughs of the game, I used the three Legendary Beasts (Entei, Suicune, and Raikou), but I decided against it this time to make it more of a challenge.  So yeah, Ampharos just filled in the spot for the Electric-Type (and its Special Attack is ridiculously good), and I wanted another Flying-Type so that I could use Quagsire's and Flygon's Earthquakes more effectively, so I used Altaria.  There were no other good Flying-Types that could use Ice Beam (you get Delibird too late in the game for it to be effective, even though it would have STAB on Ice Beam).

So yeah, I was able to beat the final boss and all of his Level 60 Pokemon even though none of my Pokemon were above Level 50 by the time I faced him.  That was pretty fun.  And, I had so much fun playing Pokemon that I went back on Pokemon Battle Revolution and started playing some of the Colosseum Battles.  I chose the one where you use a team of rental Pokemon, but you can trade one of your Pokemon for one of your opponent's at the end of each battle.  You start with two "Rental Passes", and I chose the one that conveniently had a Rotom on it.  It was the better team anyways, but having the Rotom made it an easy choice.

And playing all of these Pokemon games reminded me why I liked playing Pokemon competitively.  Even though luck can play a large role during battles, you ultimately have all of your options available to you.  That is, opposed to a card game where you can only work with what you draw.  In Pokemon, you have your whole team of six Pokemon at the start of the battle, and you have to choose how to use those Pokemon to the greatest effect.  Sure, there are stupid things like critical hits (6.75% chance), getting frozen by Ice Beam (10% chance), and missing with moves like Charge Beam (95% accuracy), but skill plays a large role.

Unfortunately, I dislike Generation V to a great degree, so I refuse to play Pokemon Black/White anymore.  Not to mention that competitive Pokemon takes up a huge amount of time.  I mean, when I did play Pokemon competitively, that was basically all I did.  There was just so much to do: EV Training, breeding, testing IV's, getting TM's, balancing your team, studying every Pokemon people would conceivably use, and other such things.  I left power-leveling off the list because you only need to do that to evolve Pokemon or learn certain moves, and that could be accomplished by leaving your Pokemon in the Day Care and banding/clamping your DS.  But yeah, I don't regret wasting my summer all those years ago like that.  It was fun.

Anyways, before playing Colosseum and PBR, I was playing Assassin's Creed Revelations and Assassin's Creed III.  I can't really talk about these because there are too many spoilers and such.  But yeah, the AC: Revelations disc I had access to had the first Assassin's Creed on it, which I had skipped over (I started at AC2).  So, I tried playing it, but when I got to the first real mission, which was to travel over 1 kilometer to Damascus to talk to some guy, I quit.  All of the walking in AC3 before you get your Fast Travel points was irritating enough, so I definitely wasn't going to waste all of my time traveling in a game whose story I already knew.  Not only that, but you somehow lose your ability to counter kill at the beginning of the game.  You can't expect me to believe that Altair just magically forgot how to counter kill just because he was demoted.

But yeah, since I'm done with all of that, I decided to make a competitive Kaijudo deck so that when organized play is announced, I'll be ready.  Not only that, but Aki and I are going to record videos tomorrow and I wanted to use a new deck.  We tried to think of new Yu-Gi-Oh decks to use, but there's really nothing to try.  We haven't really gotten any new cards since I bought those two manga with Number 50: Blackship of Corn, neither of which I have opened...

Yeah, same old, same old.  Yu-Gi-Oh is stale, I'm waiting for Kaijudo tournaments (which hopefully won't be on Sundays...), and Vanguard is as skill-less as ever.  There's really nothing to talk about.  Now you can see why this post was dominated by my discussion of Pokemon.  But, I did find out that there will be a Yu-Gi-Oh Regional in my area in March, so if the ban list cleans up the game and the tournament organizer realizes that he needs to book a space that can hold up to 1000 players, then I'll be going to that.  But that's still months away, so yeah.

12 comments:

  1. Please top your Nordic Diva deck at the regional. Even the judges are anticipating :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll try, but if Yu-Gi-Oh is just going to keep getting more luck-based, then it'll be difficult to get through an 11-round Regional regardless of what deck I use.

      Hopefully the ban list will clean everything up. And if Hidden Arsenal 7 is released by March (which is very doubtful), then I'll have no choice but to use Gem-Knights, ha ha.

      Delete
  2. You can fight all the past gym leaders, elite four and champions in the pokemon world tournament in black/white 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That still doesn't make it a good game. Black and White were disappointing, and the Generation V Pokemon are terribly uncreative and some are unbalanced.

      Delete
  3. With all the archetype-based imbalances in the game, I doubt that we have a lot of cards to "clean up"

    What in your opinion is a "cleaned up banlist?"
    put BLS back to banned?
    bump some staples down a copy?
    Abyssmegalo?
    Magician and/or Shark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of things that need to be done for this game to become balanced. I go over a "Hopes for the Ban List" thing every six months, so the most recent one would be a good place to start, in addition to all of the new cards that would have to be added.

      Delete
    2. LightGrunty, what is your desired Yugioh banlist? Care to share?

      Delete
    3. It'd be too long to list here. Every six months, I do a "Hopes for the Ban List" post, so that'll be up sometime in the next five weeks. It'll probably be mostly the same as my previous one, except with the addition of newer cards.

      Delete
  4. You can always play on online sims such as Pokemon Online or the previously famous Shoddy Battle without wasting 10 hours breeding a perfect pokemon. I agree that some Pokes in B/W are terribly overpowered which is why I play UU. The power creep is so bad that this gen's UU is almost comparable to gen 4 OU. Of course this is all moot if you feel you must play on the cartridge and not on sims, but I feel like you should give it a shot.

    Funny how both the franchises of YGO and Pokemon have experienced significant power creep lately. It's not uncommon for fully evolved Pokemon to break 130 in offensive stats, and the new Kyurem forms have the highest attack/SpA in the game. I guess when the developers start running out of ideas they just ramp up the power and call it a day? The only question is how much longer can they sustain the upward trend? A blogger brought up a good point recently, that if Konami continues making cards and archtypes more powerful and consistent, they will either have to increase life points or else everyone will be OTK in 2 or 3 turns. What do you think about that, and power creep in general?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if you don't raise the Pokemon yourself, then playing Pokemon loses a lot of its meaning. If I were a super hardcore competitive Pokemon player, I wouldn't mind using Shoddy Battle, but it does take some of the fun out of the game. And either way, it still takes a lot of time to create a good team, and I don't want to get sucked into Pokemon again. I was just playing my console games because I was on winter break for the past few weeks.

      I don't know what I can say about power creep that I haven't said already. I suppose that making the game faster isn't inherently bad, but it usually is. That's because when players get access to less cards because the game is shorter in duration, that means that which cards they do get start to mean more than their ability to use those cards.

      I doubt that Konami will increase the starting amount for Life Points. If anything, they'll make more cards like Gorz to counter OTK's, however unhealthy.

      Delete
  5. I don't think my previous comment was published so I guess I have to type this up all over again...

    If you want to play competitive pokemon you should try an online sim, such as Pokemon Online, that way you don't have to waste time breeding Pokes and hoping for good IVs. If you dislike the recent power creep of the latest pokemon then you can always play in UU, which has a meta comparable to 4th gen OU (except with less dragons).

    It seems strange how when a franchise (such as YGO or Pokemon) starts to run out of ideas, it just ramps up the power creep and calls it a day. For example, it is not uncommon for fully evolved Pokemon to have more than 130 base attack/SpA (Chandelure, Haxorus, Darmanitan, that psychic blob thing) and have access to superior movepools and abilities. A yugioh blogger brought up the following point: if Konami continues this upward trend and makes archetypes more powerful/consistent, they will either have to make a drastic change to game rules, or everyone will be OTK'd by turn 2 or 3. Do you think it is possible that the game pace will accelerate so much that something like this will occur? Or do you think Konami will slow down the game, but still keep the game primarily luck-based so that "anyone can win"?

    It seems sad how official tournaments are seeing such high turnouts, even though the format is horrible. It's even more depressing seeing novice/bad players win tournaments because they opened Card Destruction or Gateway every match. I'm fine with newer themes having a higher chance of winning, since Konami has to move product after all, but it seems silly of them to put T.G. Striker to 1 for "balance" and then make things like Inzektors. At this rate I might as well jump on the Goat-Control bandwagon, since this recent format has proven to be out of control and no fun.

    If my previous comment actually went through, then I guess publish whichever comment you like best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears that you finished making this comment a few minutes after I published and responded to your previous one. So yeah, I just published both.

      But yeah, it's apparent that Konami doesn't care about its players and just wants to make a game where everyone can win.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.