Saturday, May 7, 2011

Regionals Report 5/7/11

As discussed, I went to Regionals with my Scrap Worms deck. There weren't that many people, and almost none of my friends were able to make it. How sad.

The upside was that I bought three Maxx "C"s for $8 each. That's an amazingly good price. I was also able to trade an Ultra Rare Reborn Tengu for a Super Rare version. The guy didn't care, and I was fine with that.

So yeah, in all, there were 311 people.

Round 1: vs Gravekeeper's

This guy apparently sat next to me at the YCS, so he knew what I was playing.

-Duel 1: Lots of draw-pass-draw-pass in the beginning, so we wouldn't reveal our decks to each other. I made a push with Scraps, then he dropped Necrovalley to make a play. I was in control of the duel, but after a while, I kept drawing Monsters. He used Compulsory Evacuation Device on my Worm Xex, then used Royal Tribute on my hand of four Monsters... Yeah, that's fair. I lost because I had no cards and was locked down by Necrovalley.
-Duel 2: I locked him down with Closed Forest, or something. I won fairly easily.
-Duel 3: I dropped Thought Ruler Archfiend to gain some LP, but then it got bounced by Gravekeeper's Guard; gotta watch out for that now... Anyway, we went into time, and neither of us could do damage to each other. And, our LP were tied at 6500 each, so it ended in a draw. I didn't mind, since I could tell that he was a really good player.

Round 2: vs Debris Hero

-Duel 1: He drew badly, and I capitalized with Scrap stuff.
-Duel 2: I dropped Scrap Twin Dragon and negated his Black Rose explosion with Forbidden Chalice. Catastor ripped through the E-Hero Gaia he then Fusion Summoned, and Brionac won me the game from there. Synchros are broken.

Round 3: vs Hero Beat

-Duel 1: Royal Oppression locked me down, and I couldn't make a play until it was too late.
-Duel 2: Malevolent Catastrophe and Ally Salvo cleared five of the seven cards he had left. I made a push with Scrap Chimera next turn and won from there.
-Duel 3: I lost to double Solemn Warning and Royal Oppression...

Round 4: vs Gravekeeper's

This guy took forever to make even the most simple moves, it was really annoying.

-Duels 1 and 2: I don't remember either of these duels very well, but I won one of them and lost the other.
-Duel 3: Friggin' Royal Tribute. It was okay, though, since I drew into Closed Forest and Scrap Chimera, in that order, allowing me to make a comeback.

Round 5: vs Gravekeeper's

-Duel 1: He couldn't get to his Necrovalley, so I actually had a chance. The pivotal moment, however, was when I read that his last back row was a Bottomless Trap Hole or a Dimensional Prison, causing me to not Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon right away, instead deciding to attack with Scrap Beast and Chimera. I ran into a Mirror Force and lost next turn.
-Duel 2: Closed Forest, yay!
-Duel 3: He went first, summoned Descendant, Set three back rows, activated Commandant to activate Necrovalley, then played Royal Tribute. My hand was two Scrapyards, Nobleman of Crossout, Cyber Dragon, and Scrap Chimera. I lost.

So, with my record being X-2-1, I knew that I couldn't Top. The draw would've been great if I were X-1-1, but X-2-1 is basically equivalent to X-3 at that point. How sad.

Anyway, I dropped to join a Win-a-Mat event.

Round 1: vs Gravekeeper's

What's with all the Gravekeeper's...?

-Duel 1: I forget how I lost. I think it was to Royal Oppression.
-Duel 2: He drew badly, so I beat him down with Scrap Chimera.
-Duel 3: Yay, Closed Forest! I really hate the Gravekeeper's match-up, but that's where Closed Forest proves its worth.

Round 2: vs Chaos Junk Doppel

This kid was really annoying. He wasn't actually a kid; he was older than me, but he acted so immature and hyperactive.

-Duel 1: He drew horrible, and I drew amazingly. So many Scrap shenanigans...
-Duel 2: Opposite of last game.
-Duel 3: I whittled down his resources, using Bottomless Trap Hole on Frozen Fitzgerald when he only had one card in hand. That card was Pot of Avarice, letting him draw into Chaos Sorcerer and Call of the Haunted while he had a full Graveyard. I didn't even have a Scrap Beast in the Graveyard (the only Monsters I had drawn were Worms, Cyber Dragons, and Scrap Chimera), so a topped Scrap Chimera couldn't even save me. What's sad is that I never drew a Maxx "C" or a D.D. Crow...

So yeah, I basically scrubbed out at Regionals, failing to Top with Scrap Worms. Oh well.

What's worse is that I'll have to switch to the Reborn Tengu variant; Worms are too slow against Chaos Plants/Junk Doppel, Fish FTK (and I guess OTK), and Karakuri. The meta is basically forcing me to make my deck faster, which is sad, but doable, since we now have Reborn Tengu and Scrap Orthros. So, I'll see how that goes...

12 comments:

  1. Royal Tributed three times.....ouch!>.<

    That card needs to be banned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great article on the regional. This gives me something to look out for atleast for now about "our area" meta. But it could change later. Sorry you didn't do so well, but the article was informative and "entertaining". I always wait for your reports on tournaments. Yeah, I'm contemplating on so many decks, karakuri, fish, heros, monster beats, any plant variant... But anyway, cool that you got great deals on Maxx "c".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be nice 3/5 Gravekeeper in regionals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @MaX

    Seriously. It is basically an auto-win.

    @Yugilo

    I don't think that the meta will be the same as it was at the Regional, since Extreme Victory will be legal on Tuesday. Starting next weekend, I'll even be running a changed up Scrap deck using cards from the new set.

    @Michael Bonacini

    I can't really tell if you're joking, but it would be nice if I didn't get Royal Tributed every round. At least it proves that what I'm siding for them works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I that 3/5 of your match ups were Gravekeeper, and that really sucks. I could understand that in the top tables, but it seems pretty unheard of to play against that much Gravekeeper at lower tables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Michael Bonacini

    It is pretty odd, since I asked some of my friends, and they didn't play against Gravekeeper's all day. It was just Six Samurai, X-Sabers, and Frog Monarchs for them.

    Anyway, like I said, what I've been siding for them works, so it's not completely horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't give up on scraps grunty! A guy in the ocg recently topped! http://shriek.twoday.net/stories/16607921

    If only you can get over gravekeepers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good attempt with the Scrap Worms at least LG. I've been trying out your build for a while now, and I've been impressed with it for a bit.

    How do you intend to deal with Fabled decks though? I have been losing to Wyvern too many times now :\

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anonymous

    That deck is basically a Scrap Stun deck, and I don't have the Pots of Duality needed for that type of deck. Also, it loses horribly to Six Samurai if it goes second.

    And, I can get over Gravekeeper's. I just can't do anything more about Royal Tribute.

    @MonarchVV

    Fabled decks are pretty inconsistent and lose to a well-timed Trap. You could also use Effect Veiler and Maxx "C", which are going to be awesome against Junk Doppel as well.

    @DZH501st

    Siding for Junk Doppel and Fish FTK often isn't enough. I'm just going to make my deck a lot faster so that I can hopefully outspeed at least Junk Doppel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People are still using Reign-Beaux, Overlord of Dark World as a side deck choice and even though we don't see x-sabers looping as much gravekeeper's everywhere are running rampant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous

    Siding Reign-Beaux for Royal Tribute is worse than not siding it. Good Gravekeeper's players often side out Royal Tribute to make room for Effect Veilers, Mystical Space Typhoons, and whatnot.

    Besides, if they don't Royal Tribute me, then I'll have a dead card and be in almost as bad a position as if they had Royal Tributed me. It's just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ever since Recruiter was introduced, that card ALONE made Gravekeepers' look like they're the shit in an auto-second. Royal Tribute to me is a card that helped the archetype put itself on a pedestal and faced against 'em at least of couple of times for the last few months, makes me rage and watch it burn. Since then, I've been coming up with formulas to counter them but no matter what, I've been lucky enough to get around 'em.

    Anyway, can't wait to play with my secret deck lol. You already know what it is :P

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.