Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Breaker in Scraps

Seems so underwhelming...

I tried it last weekend, and it didn't do all that much. When I drew it, I would have much rather summoned another Monster.

For instance, against Gladiator Beasts, I can't summon it against an on-field Gladiator because I could get hit by a Chariot. And, if it lives, it can easily be run over by Laquari or Darius. Maybe it's because I drew all-Monsters, but it still seems as though something else would've been better.

It's just that the Normal Summon is so important in Scraps. Barring Monster Reborn, it's how the Synchros occur. Breaker doesn't keep field presence, which is why playing Worm Xex and Yagan was okay, but playing Breaker or Rai-Oh didn't work as well.

I still like Breaker, since it's still really good, but the cost of a Normal Summon is a little too steep in my opinion. I've been playing two, so I'd probably drop it to one. It's just more suited to decks that don't Normal Summon half the time, like T.G.'s.

But what do I replace it with? Maybe Cyber Dragon; it essentially has the same job, which is to bait out Traps, and it also works against decks that don't use many Traps. Or, I could just use Dust Tornado or another Decree. I'm not to fond of those options, though.

I could promote a card from my Side Deck, opening room for another card in there. Perhaps Malevolent Catastrophe or some control-based Monster. I could even just switch Breaker with a card in my Side Deck, in case I decide that I need it later.

Hmm, everyone's suddenly thinking that Chain Whirlwind is a good Side Deck card. I see what they're seeing, but I don't really agree. Or do I...? It can actually be activated in response to a Counter Trap (like Seven Tools of the Bandit) destroying a Trap that was activated as Chain Link 1. And of course, it could be flipped when a Royal Decree is destroyed by Mystical Space Typhoon, so it seems like it can be worth using.

But, I also saw Xing Zhen Hu being used to great effect recently. It also seems like it's worth using. Of course, Xing Zhen Hu Replica seems slightly better, since it can be activated in response to your own summon with priority to prevent Bottomless Trap Hole or Torrential Tribute. Or, it could be activated in response to your own attack declaration with priority to prevent Mirror Force or Dimensional Prison. It seems as though I would just rather Dust Tornado the card, though...

Eh, I'll decide eventually...

1 comment:

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.