Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tournament Report 5/14/11

So, I went to locals today with Scraps Reborn. Yeah...

I helped Yugilo with his Beast deck. Other than that, I didn't do much.

Round 1: vs Newbie Water Deck

I thought that he was playing Newbie Spellcasters at first, since his first Monster was Gemini Elf, but then he summoned some Water stuff and played A Legendary Ocean. Either way, 2-0.

Round 2: vs Gladiator Beasts

-Duel 1: Reborn Tengu is amazing. It held me in the game for a while, since I couldn't draw a Scrap Tuner for some reason. Forbidden Lance/Chalice made sure that I could get over his Laquari, and Reborn Tengu did the rest by itself.
-Duel 2: Swarming with Scraps. Orthros is much better than I thought at first.

Round 3: vs Chaos Synchro

-Duel 1: I drew no Scrap cards in my starting hand, again... It's okay, though, since his deck couldn't mount an offensive that quickly, and my starting hand contained two Effect Veilers. When I did finally draw into my Scrap cards, I was able to swarm and stuff. I shut down his Locomotion R-Genex and Black Rose Dragon with my Veilers, and he couldn't do much else.
-Duel 2: He didn't have Effect Veilers to stop my swarm. Orthros was very helpful.

Round 4: vs Gravekeeper's

My opponent this round was 3zinferno of YouTube.

-Duel 1: I drew Scrap Orthros, two Scrapstorms, Reborn Tengu, and some incoherent cards. I didn't have enough to push through his back row, and couldn't do anything.
-Duel 2: Royal Decree/Closed Forest beatdown and Scrap Chimera swarms.
-Duel 3: He Set two back rows and summoned Rai-Oh. I Set Reborn Tengu and Malevolent Catastrophe. He attacked, Catastrophe destroyed Solemn Warning and Royal Oppression (yay!), and Reborn Tengu was destroyed. He argued that it wouldn't activate since it was face-down, comparing it to Catastor. I knew that that was completely wrong (Catastor activates sub-step 1, Tengu sub-step 7, and by that time, Tengu is already face-up, having been flipped in sub-step 2). After a little while of arguing, he let me Special Summon my Tengu. It didn't help me much, though, since he killed the next two with the Rai-Oh over the next two turns. I just couldn't draw a Scrap Tuner for some reason... After that, when my LP were already low, I proceeded to draw into two Solemn Warnings and three Closed Forests. All I needed was a Monster, but no. I couldn't even use my Warnings, since I was at 3200 LP, and if I Warned and he negated it with Seven Tools, I would've lost immediately. So, I lost when he got a Commandant on the field to kill me in two turns.

Round 5: vs Six Samurai

-Duel 1: He activated Gateway and United, summoned Mizuho, and Set two back rows. Phew... What's even better was that I drew a great hand to counter his set-up. I summoned Scrap Chimera, then Special Summoned Scrap Orthros, targeting itself for its destruction effect. Chain Scrapstorm to get a second Chimera into the Graveyard, then to my hand. Chimera got killed by Mirror Force. Mystical Space Typhoon destroyed his face-down Magatama, and a second destroyed the Gateway on his turn after he summoned Kagemusha. Synchro for Shi En after drawing for United, I take 2500 damage, and he Set a back row. I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon, trying to bait out that back row. He didn't respond, so I summoned Scrap Goblin to Synchro for Thought Ruler Archfiend. He dropped Effect Veiler, telling me his back row is Dimensional Prison. I ended my turn. He activated another United, summoned Kamon, then sent United for one draw, looking for an answer to Thought Ruler. After that, he ended. I summoned Scrap Chimera, reviving Orthros (so awesome). I attacked Kamon with Chimera, then Shi En with Thought Ruler, bringing me back to 8000 LP. I didn't attack with Orthros, instead Synchro Summoning Scrap Dragon to destroy my Giant Trunade and his Dimensional Prison. He Set a Monster and a back row, and it was over. Scrap Dragon cleared his back row, and Thought Ruler killed his Monster. He couldn't retaliate.
-Duel 2: He Set a bunch of back rows. I Set three back rows and Scrap Beast. He used Giant Trunade, then summoned Kageki into Mizuho. Mizuho's effect destroyed Scrap Beast, he attacked directly, and re-Set his back rows. I topped Giant Trunade and played it to clear the way for Scrap Chimera. I attacked with Chimera and Beast, then re-Set my back rows, forgetting to Synchro. It was the right play, though, since my back rows were Forbidden Chalice, Bottomless Trap Hole, and Royal Decree. He searched for Shinai with Shien's Smoke Signal, then summoned Mizuho. Bottomless dealt with that, and Decree locked down his Traps in the End Phase. I Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon, then searched for Scrap Orthros with Scrapyard. Special Summon and destroy itself to get back Scrap Chimera (so good!). I then summoned Scrap Chimera and pushed for a bunch of damage. He couldn't get around the Decree, so I won.

So yeah, I went 4-1 and got 3rd place, which won me some store credit; not bad. I used the store credit on some sleeves and some packs of Extreme Victory. I pulled T.G. Recipro Dragonfly, but nothing else was noteworthy.

I don't know what the deal with not drawing Scrap Tuners was. I play ten ways to get them, seriously. In four of the eleven duels, I didn't draw a Scrap Tuner in my starting hand, despite the fact that there's about an 80% chance that I would. Seriously... I don't know what I'm supposed to do about such bad luck. It does seem that I can survive without them for long enough to wait to draw into them, though, so I might not have to deal with it.

By the way, I dueled a match against Yugilo with the T.G. Control deck that will probably be featured in videos starting Monday. You might be able to see it on his channel before then, if he uploads it soon.

9 comments:

  1. Do you shuffle your deck good enough?

    Every time we play, scrap tuners tend to stick together due to the way the deck works!

    So, before I shuffle, I split my deck into 8 stacks of cards to avoid that happening!(of course sometimes it still happens.....like yesterday in one my duels I drew full scraps in my starting hand except one card was scrapyard which basically is like having a scrap tuner and one other was a seven tools of the bandit -.-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MaX

    I would assume that I shuffle the deck well enough. I try to use a usual shuffle at least seven times, and I pile shuffle if my opponent pile shuffles or takes a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. come by and watch me take Lightgrunty down with flawless victory... lol. Any way the video is up. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous

    I'm not wasting my money to try and get a (play-set of) Pot of Duality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you're making Scraps look really good :) and I didn't know you knew Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Michael Bonacini

    Yeah, the Scrap Orthros and Reborn Tengu give Scraps a bigger boost than I thought. I just put the deck together, so there's a lot of room for improvement, though.

    And I don't really know Wilson. He comes to my locals sometimes, so I just know of him. He seems pretty cool, and if it weren't for the argument over Reborn Tengu's effect, our match would've been completely enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy playing these games with you. I always have fun dueling you win or loose, but more the latter... lol. Anyway, down let no one get you down. You do an excellent job my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, let the Tengu thing slide. He's a really good person and a great friend to have

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.