Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tournament Report 9/4/10

This was the first locals with the new ban list. As a result it was a very interesting day, with almost everyone playing different decks from each other. I did see two people playing similar Chaos Control decks and at least two people playing (Chaos) Blackwings, though.

I went with my Vayu Turbo deck, and Aki came along with my Scrapkeeper deck. There were about 32 people in the tournament today.

Round 1: vs Chaos Control

-Duel 1: I drew too many dead cards, which is the worst thing that could happen against a Stun deck like this.
-Duel 2: Same as Duel 1...

Aki won Round 1 against Newbie Amazoness.

Round 2: vs Newbie Deck

I won...

Aki won Round 2 against Machina Gadgets (my Round 3 opponent from last week).

Round 3: vs Lightsworn

-Duel 1: I got killed by Celestia and Royal Decree.
-Duel 2: I forgot how I won. I'm pretty sure that I just kept control of the duel for the whole time.
-Duel 3: He drew really badly, allowing me to set up an optimal Morphing Jar play. I controlled the game with Spells/Traps for the rest of the time, swarming with a bunch of Synchros near the end of the duel to claim victory.

Aki won Round 3 against Chaos Blackwings (my Round 2 opponent from this tournament).

Round 4: vs Chaos Control

I just had to play against both Chaos Control decks... My deck has such a bad match-up against control decks like that...

-Duel 1: I got him down to 3300 LP, but Breaker and Chaos Sorcerer rushed in to kill me.
-Duel 2: We simplified the game down to only having a couple cards each. He Monster Reborned my Effect Veiler (which I had used earlier to kill his Doomcaliber Knight) and Normal Summoned Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo. He tried to Synchro Summon with the two Monsters, but Pachycephalo prevented him from doing so. I was able to take control from there with Sirocco.
-Duel 3: He didn't draw many Monsters, so Armageddon Knight and Armed Wing were able to take him out after a while.

Aki won Round 4 against Salvo Chaos.

Round 5: vs (Chaos) Blackwings

I'm not sure if he used Chaos Sorcerer or not, but I did see D.D. Warrior Lady.

-Duel 1: Kalut is freaking annoying...
-Duel 2: Too many dead draws...

Aki won Round 5 against Chaos Control (my Round 1 opponent).

So, Aki ended up going undefeated with Scrapkeepers! I went 3-2 and got 8th place, which is meh. Our Turbo Pack 3's weren't all that great.

But, Aki did get a bunch of store credit, which he used on a Bottomless Trap Hole (he only had access to one English copy), a Cyberdark Horn (Dragunities should be arriving soon...), an Ultimate Rare Effect Veiler, a pack of sleeves, and two Duelist Revolution booster packs. The DREV packs were meh, since the only holo he pulled was Voltic Bicorn, which he already got from the Japanese DREV booster box.

So yeah, the tournament today was pretty good. I got valuable experience with the new format, and Aki got his first locals win with a deck no one was expecting. It was odd that there were no Gladiator Beast or Quickdraw Plant decks there, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.