Thursday, September 2, 2010

What to play this format...?

I can't figure out what deck I want to play this format.

I think about using Quickdraw, but then I realize that it's a meta deck now. Even though I started using it in February, it's now expected to be a top tier deck, so I'm adverse to playing it. Moreover, it's not as great as people hype it up to be. The deck's inconsistent, and it has very little offensive power.

I also consider some sort of Black Salvo-centered deck. But, it's not all that great, seeing as how you need to draw Dekoichi before Black Salvo. I mean, you could use Armageddon Knight to send Dekoichi (or Cannon Soldier) to the Graveyard, but that would ruin the whole point of using Dekoichi. Regardless, a well-timed D.D. Crow can mess up your plans entirely. Even though people play Dimensional Alchemist to help with that, the deck is still exceedingly slow.

I've been thinking about using Scraps, but they're kinda meh. You need to draw the Tuners before the non-Tuners, and the deck is extremely vulnerable to remove from play cards. When the deck works, it's awesome, but it doesn't work nearly often enough.

I want to find a way to use my Mist Valley Falcons (and Dark Simorghs, by extension), but they're not all that amazing by themselves. In some sort of super-controlling deck, the 2000 ATK is really nice, but it's not always worth it. I suppose that it could fit in Blackwings, being a Winged Beast. Gale would also give access to Mist Valley Thunder Lord, which is amazing.

I've also got an interesting concept, using The Immortal Bushi as a pseudo-Gadget. Instead of drawing into more Gadgets, you just keep using the same Immortal Bushi after it dies, allowing you to fill your deck with Monster removal cards. It's just an idea, though. I'm probably not going to use it.

Most likely, I'm going to be using my Vayu Turbo deck. It's proven to be pretty decent, having both speed and control elements. Main Decked Skill Drains should also do a good job as messing with the new (unestablished) meta. Basically every deck that people are planning on using rely on Monster Effects, so Skill Drain would wreck. The problem I'm seeing with Vayu Turbo, though, is that its outs to big Monsters tend to be Synchro Monsters, and Synchro Monsters can be easily shut down now that people can just Set whatever back rows they want. As opposed to having to decide between a Dimensional Prison and a Bottomless Trap Hole, they could just Set both, meaning that your Synchro Monster will die no matter what you choose. I do Main Deck a bunch of Trap-hate, but it might not be nearly enough.

Lastly, I was thinking about making a new Monarch variant. I'm not sure about exactly how I'd do that, but I'll figure out something. I'd probably have to wait for either the meta to become established or Starstrike Blast to be released. Monarch builds aren't really all that effective unless they have some sort of anti-meta spin on them, usually.

4 comments:

  1. The format changed completely with the removal of Heavy. I'd suggest getting whatever you feel comfortable playing and find ways to make the deck unique to your own play style. I have personally been a Plant player for about 3-4 formats now, and every time I find ways on changing the deck to strengthen it to match the format, and throw my own twists in the deck.

    There is nothing better then winning a Local or placing top 16 with a unique deck you yourself structured, or placing high in a big tournament such as an SJC or Nats with something you birthed yourself. Cookie cutters and unoriginal decks are the ones I personally hate the most. I can't stand it when someone beats you with a Quickdraw deck, or with a Machina deck, and they copied the decklist from online somewhere. I am all about Rogue decks. Find something that nobody will expect coming, make it work against everything this format is structured on, and watch people jaw-drop when you hand them their ###.

    My best advice. ^^

    I have a few deck ideas that do such a thing, and with the right tuning, can probably be very good this format. Pro tip: Find stuff that nukes backfield easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man.
    Been following your channel and your Vayu Turbo is insane imo. It's pretty consistent and powerful.

    I was wondering if there was any chance I can have the decklist, if not that's cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Boden Young

    Well, I'm not giving out my Vayu Turbo deck list at the moment, but it's pretty basic. The only things that may be odd about it are that I play only two Siroccos and two Dark Grephers. I also Main Deck Skill Drains now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ LightGrunty

    Haha, no worries

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.