Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tournament Report 3/13/10

I went to locals with a Koa'ki Meiru deck. It's not so much Core Control as it is just straight Koa'ki Meiru. It didn't work too well, so I'm probably going to go with something else next time.

I was thankfully able to buy the third Urnight before the tournament. I got two from JC, since I lent him a bunch of money for Regionals and I wanted his Urnights. Also, I bought three of the red Yusei Tins for the Starlight Roads. I pulled a Junk Archer, which is kind of pointless, since I already have one and don't need a second...

I tested my deck out against the guy I dueled in Round 1 of this tournament. I lost the match, but it was pretty interesting. He was playing Gladiator Beasts, and neither of us sided, which contributed to his win, but I didn't mind.

Round 1: vs Gladiator Beasts

This is the same guy who I beat twice before (when I was using Junk and Debris against his Blackwings and when I was using Zombie Monarchs against his French Twilight). Again, we both had new decks.

-Duel 1: I drew badly and lost. Don't exactly remember how, though.
-Duel 2: I drew two Royal Oppressions and a bunch of random Monsters. He had everything he needed to counter my cards. He apologized for drawing so well.

Round 2: vs Newbie Deck

I won. I really do hate playing against newbs...

Round 3: vs Plants

-Duel 1: I swarmed with Urnight and won.
-Duel 2: Basically the same thing, except that it took longer.

Round 4: vs Flamvell Synchro

-Duel 1: I couldn't do anything against Stardust. I really need to do something about that, like play Monarchs...
-Duel 2: I only drew a few Monsters and ran out of Monster removal. Unfortunately, I lost.

Round 5: vs Newbie Blackwings

My real opponent dropped, so I dueled against someone whose opponent also dropped.

-Duel 1: She opened up Black Whirlwind and wasted a Kalut to deal extra damage. I was able to take control, swarm with Urnight, and win.
-Duel 2: We both were just sitting there for a long time. I got her down to top-decking and won with Urnight.

So I went 3-2, which is decent. This Koa'ki Meiru deck, though cool, is far too inconsistent. Urnight was amazing, turning the deck into a great toolbox, but it's not good enough to warrant a deck around it.

I randomly got some store credit and spent it on a play-set of Gravekeeper's Spys. I saw Dale Bellido's Flamvell Monarch deck, which was using an innovating new "engine," for lack of a better word. Three Spys and a Descendant. I think it's a pretty neat idea, and I didn't really need to buy anything else with the store credit...

I want to go back to a Monarch variant, but they have a bad match-up against Gladiator Beasts and Blackwings. Same with Junk and Debris. I could win sometimes, but more often than not, I would lose. That's why I've been trying out new decks, but, unfortunately, nothing has been working...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.