Friday, February 19, 2010

Tournament Report 2/19/10

I was finally able to go to my locals for a tournament with a couple friends. I was running Cyclone Monarchs, even though the deck is designed more for the next format.

In anticipation for the next format, I went and bought a second Swallow Flip. I wanted to buy the Battle Fader that was sitting there, taunting me, but it cost too much ($35). I'll wait for the price to go down, since I need at least one to replace the Necro Gardna I'm going to lose to the ban list.

Round 1: vs Six Samurai

I was paired against one of my friends, and won the first two duels.

Round 2: vs Blackwings

This guy wasn't using Vayu, but he still ran Royal Oppression and such.

-Duel 1: I won.
-Duel 2: He got double Black Whirlwind, which means I lost.
-Duel 3: I double Dust Tornadoed his set cards so I could drop Dark Armed Dragon for game.

Round 3: vs D-Hero Monarchs

-Duel 1: He didn't really get to use his Destiny Draw engine, and I won.
-Duel 2: He got me down to low LP, but I turned it around with Brain Control.

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beasts

-Duel 1: He made some odd choices with tagging, usually going for Laquari despite being able to get advantage off of other Gladiator Beasts. So, I won.
-Duel 2: I sided into Oppressions, got lucky, and won.

Round 5: vs D-Hero Zombies

This was like the fourth time I played against this same guy, but I knew his deck, so it helped me.

-Duel 1: I forced him to waste all of his cards. I proceeded to Synchro for Junk Warrior and beat face.
-Duel 2: He got all three of his Destiny Draws for free off of Diamond Dude. Obviously, I lost.
-Duel 3: I didn't draw many Monsters, and the ones I did draw got removed from play by Bottomless Trap Hole or Dimensional Prison. My Traps didn't help against all of his floaters, and I lost.

So, I went 4-1, getting 3rd place, which was good. I spent the store credit I won on a Core Transport Unit! I just need two more, and I'll be able to make a good Koa'ki Meiru deck!

Cyclone Monarchs did well, considering it wasn't designed for this format. If I faced a Lightsworn deck, I probably would have lost. Surprisingly, there were no Lightsworn decks; probably because the deck got killed by the ban list, and people don't want to play a deck they won't be able to use in two weeks.

A side note: I got to play a little more on the Duel Terminals. Aki lent me a couple Japanese Duel Terminal cards from the second Japanese Duel Terminal, and they actually worked! It was pretty cool, using a Japanese X-Saber Palomlo (Palomuro in the TCG; darn Konami and their romaji...) and Michizure (Destiny Bond in Pokemon). Too bad winning doesn't get you anything, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.