Saturday, April 3, 2010

Tournament Report 4/3/10

I got to go to locals with Katana. I decided to run Cyclone Monarchs, but it was a changed up version using Dandylions.

Speaking of which, I needed to buy a couple Absolute Powerforce Special Editions to get a second Dandylion. Both of the promos I got were Dandylion; I guess that's okay...

Round 1: vs Monarchs

This guy was running an interesting Monarch variant that uses Substitoad to search Treeborn Frog. He also used Spirital Water Art - Aoi to make full use of his Water Monsters.

-Duel 1: We were both at low LP, so I finished him off before he could kill me.
-Duel 2: He was at 1400 LP, so I summoned Gale to halve his Raiza's ATK, then dropped Dark Simorgh to attack over it for 1500 damage.

Round 2: vs Synchro Deck (?)

My opponent was running stuff like Mist Valley Soldier, Summoner Monk, and Ryko, so I wasn't really sure what he was running.

-Duel 1: I think that I OTK'd him with Dark Armed Dragon, Goyo Guardian, and Turbo Warrior.
-Duel 2: I got him to low LP, and he had one set Monster. I was scared that it was Ryko, so when I got back Drill Warrior with its effect, I returned Quickdraw Synchron to my hand. I used it to Synchro Summon Junk Archer to remove his set Monster so I could attack for game.

Round 3: vs Synchro Cat

-Duel 1: I OTK'd him with Dark Armed Dragon, Dark Simorgh, and Nitro Warrior.
-Duel 2: I forced his Solemn Judgment with Black Rose Dragon. Then, we were basically doing nothing for a while. I was able to finish him with an attack from Krebons and an attack from Catastor on the next turn.

Round 4: vs Zombies

-Duel 1: I didn't draw Monarchs while I was waiting on my Fluff Tokens. He was able to mess up my set-up and win.
-Duel 2: I had a Fluff Token, Stardust Dragon, a set Royal Oppression, and a Mirror Force. He had a Krebons on the field, and used Brain Control on my Stardust. He then proceeded to drop Heavy Storm and Synchro for Goyo Guardian. I didn't have anything to get rid of his Goyo.

Round 5: vs Gladiator Beasts

-Duel 1: His Gorz ruined me.
-Duel 2: I finished his last 1600 LP with attacks from Plaguespreader Zombie and Gale.
-Duel 3: I Tribute Summoned Gorz after he killed my Dandylion. I was able to win from there.

So, I went 4-1 and got 3rd place, which is pretty nice. With the store credit I got, I bought a second Battle Fader! Unfortunately it's Ultimate Rare and doesn't match the Ultra Rare one I pulled. Regardless, it's still a Battle Fader.

I really had no idea that Cyclone Monarchs could OTK so easily. I was losing faith in the deck because if I drew dead, it would be terrible. Today helped to restore confidence in my deck, so I'll probably continue to play it.

1 comment:

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.