Sunday, September 22, 2013

Tournament Report 9/21/13 & 9/22/13

I went to locals as usual.  Aki and I went to the usual card shop on Saturday and met up with Ray.  We decided against playing in the morning Vanguard tournament, though apparently the new promo packs, the ones with Red Pulse Dracokid and Machining Armor Beetle, are out.  So, starting next weekend, I will start participating in the morning Vanguard tournaments to get promo packs.

Either way, we went to the evening Vanguard tournament at the other card shop.  Aki was playing WeiB Schwarz with one of his friends, and Ray wanted to play in the Vanguard tournament.  I didn't want to just sit there, so I decided to enter as well.  I was using my Arboros Dragon Neo Nectar deck, and he was using my Beast Deity Nova Grappler deck.  There were a total of 14 players there.

In the first round, I played against my Round 3 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament.  He was playing Arboros Dragon Neo Nectar as well, got the ride chain all three games, and kept getting triggers on all of his drive checks, so I lost.

I proceeded to play against two little kids in the following two rounds and beat them both because they didn't even know how their own decks worked.  I had to play against Ray in the final round and ended up giving him the win because he had better tie-breakers than me.  He ended up getting into the Top 4, but got gradestuck on Grade 0, then got trigger-sacked in the following game to lose.

That was rather unsuccessful, so yeah.  On the following day (today), Ray and I went to the Kaijudo tournament at the usual card shop.  He was using his usual WDFN Dragon Rush deck, now with Deep Mind Probe, and I was using a LDN Mid-range deck.  It was kind of focused around Gigahorn Charger and Enforcers.  It's really difficult to describe...

Round 1: vs WFN Aggro

I was playing against Eman of TCGWise.

-Duel 1: He opened up with a really good progression of Weaponized Razorcat, Aqua Seneschal, then Bronze-Arm Sabertooth.  I couldn't do anything against such an early Double Breaker, so I lost pretty quickly.
-Duel 2: He opened up with the same progression as last time, except that I was able to deal with it this time.  Unfortunately, he had a Gilaflame the Assaulter, which I was unable to deal with.  I didn't draw any of my discard in time, and I didn't get any Shield Blasts, so I lost.

XX

I got a bye in the second round, so I recorded the match between Fwazalaza and Stephen L.  That was a mistake, since it took them an hour to finish because it was a Control mirror match...

Round 3: vs LWDN Control

Fwazalaza ended up losing against Stephen in the previous round, so I was paired against him.

-Duel 1: Gregoria's Fortress threatened his Eternal Haven and Death Liger, the Justicar, but I wasn't able to destroy them before he was able to destroy the Fortress.
-Duel 2: I just rushed him with stuff like Sword Horned, then ripped apart his hand with Skull Shatter to take control.  I was able to win using Noble Rumbling Terrasaur.
-Duel 3: I don't really remember what happened in this duel.  He basically just dropped Eternal Haven after using Root Trap on my Gregoria's Fortress, and I lost.

XOX

So both Ray and I ended up going 0-2, basically.  That was sad, but oh well.  I was just testing out this deck, since I'm kind of bored of playing Megabugs.  I'm just surprised that there were no Dragon decks today aside from Ray's.

Either way, because there was only five people in the tournament, everyone got a Necrose, Nightmare Bloom.  Since I paid for Ray's entry fee, I got his Necrose and entry pack.  He ended up pulling a Queen Kalima for me, so now I have three of those and four Necroses.

I was able to trade with Fwazalaza to get some cards for both Aki and I.  I traded an Eternal Haven and Twilight Archon for a Var-rakka, Khordia, Kivu, Ra-Vu the Indomitable, Waterspout Gargoyle, Sparkblade Protector, and a Duel Day Magris.  Now I have three each of the latter two, so I could make Mono-Light Rush if I wanted to.  It's a thing, especially with Blinder Beetle Prime, so I like having the option.

I did want to keep the Eternal Haven, but I figured that it would be really difficult to get any more of them, so I might as well just trade it for cards that I will use instead of letting it sit in my binder.  Fwazalaza also wanted a Queen Kalima, but since I have three now, I decided to make a deck around it.  I don't have high hopes, but at least it counters Eternal Haven decks (non-targetting removal is like the only way to kill Eternal Haven) and decks that try to dump a bunch of Dragons on the board in the late game (mass removal just deals with that).  I will build the deck later this week.

I do feel uneasy about having to try out new decks right now, though, because there is an upcoming Kaijudo Master Challenge at the usual card shop on October 5.  That means that I won't really have much time to test my deck.  I guess that didn't stop me from topping at the KMC in Las Vegas with LFN Megabugs, but still.

Lastly, my classes start on Thursday, so I won't be able to go to locals on Sundays starting in October.  I don't really care about October, since the Duel Day promo is bad, but I do want to be able to go in November.  I've pestered the shopkeeper about it, and he may move the Kaijudo tournaments to Saturdays, so there is still hope.  We'll see, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.