Sunday, September 29, 2013

Tournament Report 9/28/13 & 9/29/13

So, this is my last weekend of children's card games before I have to concentrate on school.  It started with the morning Vanguard tournament at the usual card shop.  Ray and his friend were there.  There were five other players, four of whom were bad.  I was running Arboros Dragon Neo Nectar, and Ray was running my Beast Deity Nova Grappler deck.

In the first round, I played against one of the bad players whom I always beat.  Apparently, he hates our team (Team Snogal) because we always assume that we're going to win.  I told him that if he wants us to stop thinking like that, then he should play better.  He made terrible misplays, like calling Grade 2 or 3's to the back row and leaving them there just so that Tron would give his Blond Ezel the extra 4k, which didn't matter since Sephirot was at 11k.  He also cheered when I didn't get triggers and cursed when he didn't get triggers.  He was just immature in general.  But, I won, so whatever.

I got paired against Ray in the second round and we just played Kaijudo for fun.  He gave me the win because he had better tie-breakers.  In the third round, I played against one the the little kids whom I always beat.  He was playing Narukami; he had Vermillion and The Blood, but I don't know how many of each he had.  He still had garbage like Vasuki and Gyras in his deck, so yeah.  Anyways, he tried to break through my two-to-pass when he pulled a Critical Trigger after he used his Ultimate Break while I was at 4 damage.  I didn't have enough to guard if he had put it on a rear-guard like a sensible person, but he failed and I lived because of it.  I was able to win on the following turn.  He even misplayed on that turn, too, guarding until he ran out of cards, even though we both knew that he didn't have enough to guard everything.

So yeah, I went undefeated and won additional booster packs.  Ray and I got EB01 in an attempt to pull Machining Stag Beetle (I only have three), but we failed.  I got a Machining Armor Beetle from the other player there who wasn't bad ("There were five other players, four of whom were bad."), so that was cool.  I just need three more, not that I'd play Megacolony in tournaments anyways...

After that, we also decided to play in the evening Vanguard tournament.  I wasn't going to, but they started giving out promo packs, and I wanted more Armor Beetles, so I entered.  Neither Ray nor I pulled an Armor Beetle, though, so that was sad.  There was a total of 12 players there.

Round 1: vs Bermuda Triangle

She was playing a really random Bermuda Triangle build.  It had the Riviere ride chain, but also Vert and that Grade 3 that gains 10k when you ride a Grade 3 while it's a rear-guard, which is silly.  She was a really nice person, though.  Anyway, I won the first game easily, then lost the second game because I only pulled one trigger all game, and she got a bunch.  I got gradestuck on Grade 0 in the third game, so I lost.

OXX

Round 2: vs Oracle Think Tank (Soulless)

His deck was incomplete, and he didn't even ride Scarlet Witch, Coco, so I won easily.  He also attacked my rear-guards unnecessarily, otherwise he may have been able to win.

OO

Round 3: Aqua Force (Maelstrom)

He was playing a crummy Aqua Dork deck, so I didn't really worry too much.  I won the first game because his Basil and Seagull (he called a Stand Trigger just to get four attacks in) couldn't hit anything, and he didn't even get me to 4 damage.  I lost the second game because I kept drawing triggers and didn't have anything to put down as rear-guards.  I won the third game because he got gradestuck on Grade 0.

OXO

With that, they cut to Top 4.  I didn't make it, but Ray did.  He had to play against my Round 1 opponent, but he ended up losing due to getting trigger-sacked in the second game and gradestuck on Grade 1 in the third.

And that's why we play Kaijudo.  We went to the usual card shop this morning for the Kaijudo tournament.  Aki was also able to make it, since he wanted to test his new deck before the KMC.  He was using WDF Dragon Rush, now featuring Var-rakka and Squillace Scourge.  Ray was using a WDN Mid-range deck that used Borran and various Scaradorables.  I was using a LWF Aggro deck; I almost wasn't able to use it, because the fourth Snogal, who hasn't showed up in two weeks, still has my General Finbarrs and hasn't returned them, but I was able to borrow some from Fwazalaza, so that was cool.

There were a total of 10 players there.

Round 1: vs LWDF Dragons

I was playing against Stephen L.

-Duel 1: I had a good start with Cyber Scamp, and he had no early plays, so I basically just killed him before he could play anything.
-Duel 2: I had a good progression of Cyber Scamp and Aqua Seneschal, and his early plays were Piercing Judgment (to bounce the Seneschal and give me another Cyber Scamp) and Bottle of Wishes (to hit nothing of significance), so I won.

OO

Round 2: vs LWDF Dragons

This was my Round 1 opponent from this Kaijudo tournament.

-Duel 1: I rushed in at him with Cyber Scamp, Aqua Seneschal, and Gilaflame the Assaulter.  He had a Bottle of Wishes in the shields, which gave him Infernus the Awakened.  That killed everything I had except Gilaflame, which won me the game.  He started complaining that he didn't have a Shield Blast to deal with Gilaflame, so I told him that since he hit the Awakened off of Bottle, he lost the right to complain about not having enough Shield Blasts.
-Duel 2: He opened up with Nix and Herald of Infernus, which is difficult for me to deal with.  I opened with Seneschal, then Blade Barrier on the Herald so that I could safely attack.  I killed the Herald with Tornado Flame, but his Nix gave him too many free cards and too much momentum, so I lost.
-Duel 3: He opened up with Lux, Nix, then Lyra, so he was able to drop all of his Dragons too early.  I didn't have any cards that let me gain advantage, so I lost once he dropped two Andromedas.  I could deal with one, but not two.

OXX

Round 3: vs 5-Civ Dragons

-Duel 1: I rushed in at his shields with Cyber Scamp and hit a Bottle, which hit a Stormspark Blast.  That let me take the two Scamps in my deck and put them on the field for free.  He couldn't deal with that, so I won.
-Duel 2: I had a slow start (which will only happen 12% of the time for this deck), but so did he, so I was able to drop a Plasma Pincer and Cyber Scamp on turn 5 and win with those.

OO

That ended up being the last round, so I went 2-1 and got 3rd place.  Aki went 1-2, and Ray went 0-2, drop.  How sad.  Anyways, we got a total of 5 packs, and the only noteworthy cards we pulled were Serpens, Calamity Bell, and Cyber Scamp.  I was able to trade the Cyber Scamp to Fwazalaza since he only needed one more (which is ironic, since he traded me my third on one Friday) for a Razorkinder Puppet, so that was cool.

That's about it for this weekend.  The KMC is on Saturday, so that will be exciting.  I think that my new deck did well enough for me to consider using it at the KMC, but I still have other options.  We'll see what happens, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you MUST win the KMC no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the 4th snogal returns you the Finbarrs cards yet?

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.