Monday, August 26, 2013

Tournament Report 8/24/13 & 8/25/13

As usual, I went to locals this past weekend.  I was busy Saturday morning, so I just went to the evening Vanguard tournament with Aki.  However, I did have enough time to make a Yu-Gi-Oh deck for the new format.  Everyone on Team Snogal was excited for the new format, since we expected it to be a lot better than this one.  But, whether or not that'll actually be the case has yet to be seen.

Anyways, there were about 28 players there for the evening Vanguard tournament.  I was running my Arboros Dragon Neo Nectar deck, Aki was running his Vermillion Narukami deck, my friend who plays Vanguard was running my Dark Irregulars deck, and the fourth Snogal was running my Pale Moon deck.

In the first round, I was paired against my friend.  So, we just played Yu-Gi-Oh.  We only had enough time to play one game, since we both had to sleeve our new decks.  I was running a Nordic Beast deck that also uses X-Sabers.  I figured that XX-Saber Hyunlei would be pretty good in a format with no Heavy Storm.  My friend was using Blackwings, so that was boring.  I was able to win the first game, and that's all we had time for.  We decided that I'd get the win because my deck had a better chance of winning.

Round 2: vs Dark Irregulars

I played against a new player with a somewhat random Dark Irregulars deck.  I lost the first game because he healed four times, but I was able to win the other two games fairly easily.

XOO

Round 3: vs Kagero (The End)

This was my Round 3 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament.  He was just as bad as ever.  I won the first game because I got the ride chain, I lost the second game because he got double Critical Triggers, and I lost the third game because he got twice as many triggers as me.

OXX

With that, they cut to Top 8.  Aki and I made it, but my friend and the fourth Snogal did not.

Top 8: vs Narukami (Vermillion)

This was my Round 1 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament.  He was very upset to have to play against me.  I completely missed the ride chain in the first game, but I put Ratoon in the front to bully him.  He didn't want to get beaten up by Ratoon again, so he used Vermillion's Limit Break to kill it.  He was also able to crossride afterwards, but I made 18k columns and kept pulling triggers to win.  He got gradestuck on Grade 0 on the second game, so when I had to ride a perfect guard, I could move Ratoon out and it could hit his Vanguard Spark Kid Dragoon.  It should be pretty obvious that I won that game.

OO

Aki won his Top 8 match, and we were in the same bracket, so he just gave me the win and we played Duel Masters.  My Round 3 opponent ended up losing in to Top 4, so I decided to just split with the other finalist.  We each got half a box of Set 2, so that was alright.  I pulled a Spirit Exceed, a Ruin Shade, a Kirara, and a Young Pegasus Knight.  The fourth Snogal kept the former two, and my friend kept the latter two.

That's it for Saturday.  I went back to locals yesterday for the Kaijudo tournament.  There were 10 players there in total.  I was using my LFN Megabug deck, and my friend was using his WDFN Dragon Rush deck.

Round 1: vs Mono-Light Rush

This was my Round 2 opponent from last weekend's Kaijudo tournament.

-Duel 1: I had two Heat Seekers and an Ambush Scorpion to wreck his progression.  I was able to drop Andromeda, and he scooped.
-Duel 2: He had a good progression, and I had no early plays, so I lost.
-Duel 3: He had a good progression, I only had a Manapod Beetle to play on turn 2.  I was able to live longer than I probably should've because I had two Stormspark Blasts in shields, but I didn't have anything relevant in my hand.

OXX

I was paired against my friend in the second round, and he gave me the win.

Round 3: vs WD Mid-Range

I was paired up against Stephen L.

-Duel 1: I got him down to zero shields and I would've been able to win if two of my Gilaflames weren't in my shields.  I tried to search it with Gigahorn Charger after my first one died, and it wasn't in my deck, so he had the opportunity to drop Squillace Scourge and win.
-Duel 2: I rushed him with two Manapod Beetles to win.
-Duel 3: He opened with three Grudge Weavers, so I basically couldn't attack him.  So, I lost.

Round 4: vs LWDF Dragons

-Duel 1: He opened up with a Lux and two Nix, and I didn't have any removal, so I lost.
-Duel 2: I was able to rush him with Manapod Beetle, Ambush Scorpion, and Mana Tick to win before he could do anything.
-Duel 3: I was able to go in and break shields with The Hive Queen, Lyra, and Keeper of Laws.  I got Steamtank Kryon off of The Hive Queen, so I was able to attack with Keeper of Laws to break his last shield even though he had a Herald of Infernus on the field.  He used its effect to drop Infernus the Awakened, but he had no shields or Blockers, so it didn't matter.

XOO

That was the last round, so I ended up going 2-2, which isn't that great.  I've been wanting to make a new deck, but with a new set coming out in three weeks, I feel as though there's no point.  I know that I would want to use Darkness, though...

After that, I was able to play a match against a new format Prophecy deck using my Nordic Saber deck.  It was very discouraging because I just sat there while he got numerous free cards and destroyed my field, so I'll probably continue to stay away from competitive Yu-Gi-Oh for now...  But yeah, that's about it.

10 comments:

  1. Try your T.G. Zombie deck (no Brionac? no worries)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deck doesn't work without Brionac and Trishula. Those two cards were the main win conditions, not to mention that Creature Swap hasn't been effective for over a year.

      Delete
  2. Could drop the t.g. side of the deck n try malicious or pure zombies - whatever u do it would be cool 2 c u play and win with a rogue deck like u used too - ban list is pretty amazing this format

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ban list is great, but as usual, it's too late. Power creep has already escalated out of control. Rouge decks still won't stand much of a chance against the top decks this format.

      Delete
    2. A shame your deck can't compete against prophecy deck, even though judgment is banned. It is still as strong as ever.

      Delete
  3. Hey what happened to your infernities plan. the XYZ build is definitely a delicious deck to pla with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have most of the cards for the deck, the Xyz Monsters that I still need like Lavalval Chain and Diamond Dire Wolf cost quite a bit. I don't think it's worth the price.

      Delete
  4. http://www.konami.com/yugioh/blog/?p=15288

    Even with sept 2013 list, dragon ruler variant(dragon plant) still tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm aware of this. Sadly, the ban list didn't do enough to fix the game. But, with the ridiculous amount of power creep that has been seen in the past year, I don't think that Yu-Gi-Oh will ever become a balanced game again.

      Delete
    2. This is the top 16 YCS Toronto

      Top 16
      7 dragon ruler varients
      3 mermails
      2 spellbooks
      1 dragunity
      1 infernity
      1 blackwing
      1 fire fist

      Top 4
      Blackwings
      Dragunity/Dragons
      Mermail
      Dragons

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.