Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tournament Report 8/10/13

As usual, I went to locals.  Aki couldn't make it this weekend, so I was able to go to the morning Vanguard tournament.

The fourth Snogal, my friend who plays Vanguard, and one of his friends were there.  There were four other players, all of whom had no idea what they were doing, so it was going to be pretty easy.  So easy, in fact, that I decided to use my Rumble Gun/Dungaree Narukami deck for the tournament.  The fourth Snogal decided to use my Dark Irregulars deck, and my friend used my Pale Moon deck.

In the first round, I had to play against the fourth Snogal.  I was able to retire a bunch of his units using Dragonic Deathscythe, Rumble Gun Dragon, and Sealed Demon Dragon, Dungaree, but I ended up having to depend on a sixth-damage Heal Trigger to save me.  I was then lucky enough to get a Critical Trigger when he was at four damage when I only had two left in the deck to win.

In the second round, I had to play against my friend.  I rode Dungaree so that his 20k Tamer column wouldn't do anything, and my Lizard Soldier, Yowsh was able to bully his Grade 2's.  I just kept retiring his rear-guards and won.  Then, in the third round, I had to play against his friend, so I ended up playing against the only other good players there yesterday...

Anyway, he was playing an Angel Feather deck my friend helped him build.  I retired the only Thousand Ray Pegasus he played with Dragonic Deathscythe, then I was able to retire the only Million Ray Pegasus he played with Dungaree's Limit Break.  The thing is that I didn't open up with any Grade 3's, then I drew three and damage checked two, so Rumble Gun would be useless for the rest of the game.  I also got a total of zero triggers, but all of the retiring I did was good enough to allow me to win.

So, I was able to win the tournament with a fun deck, so that was cool.  My friend ended up going 2-1 and getting 3rd place, while the Angel Feather player got 2nd place.  We got a total of 8 packs of Set 3, and all we got was an Edel Rose...

After that, we went to the evening Vanguard tournament.  What was odd was that there were a bunch of people there.  A group of like five little kids who used to go to the morning Vanguard tournament at the usual card shop decided to stop going there and go to this other card shop instead.  I don't know why, but it meant that more packs would be going into the prize pool, so we were fine with that.

There was a total of 24 players there yesterday.  I was running my Arboros Dragon Neo Nectar deck, my friend was running his Shadow Paladin deck, and the fourth Snogal was running his Ezel Gold Paladin deck.

So in the first two rounds, I played against little kids who used to go to the morning Vanguard tournaments and won 2-0.  In the third round, I got sacked really badly by a Nova Grappler player who didn't really know what he was doing.  But, you don't need to know what you're doing if you keep getting double triggers and Heal Triggers.  I also missed the ride chain, but at least I got double Critical Triggers in the second game to win.

So yeah, I ended up going 2-1 after the three rounds of Swiss.  My friend also went 2-1, and the fourth Snogal went 3-0.  They cut to Top 8 and we all made it.  None of us were paired up against each other, so that was good.

I played against a little kid who was using Spike Brothers and was able to win the first game because he got gradestuck on Grade 2.  I got gradestuck on Grade 2 for a few turns in the second game, but I got my triggers and he didn't, so I still won the match.

The fourth Snogal got paired up against a kid who used to go to the morning Vanguard tournaments who used Royal Paladins and won easily.  My friend played against an Ezel Gold Paladin player and won using Phantom Blaster Overlord's Persona Blast.  And just like that, we took up three spots in the Top 4.  The other player was the Nova Grappler player I had to play against earlier.

The prize for 1st place was a box of Set 6.  We all agreed to a four-way split, meaning that he would get 8 packs, and we would get the rest.  So, we got 22 packs of Set 6, and ended up pulling all of the RRR's.  We got a Desert Gunner, Shiden; Battle Cupid, Nociel; and Blond Ezel.  We also got another Cosmo Healer, Ergodiel; a Love Machine Gun; Nociel, and a Pure Keeper, Requiel.  It was like the same stuff as last time, except that we pulled an Ezel.

So that's about it.  The fourth Snogal is planning on making a Kaijudo deck, so that's cool.  And my friend also wants to make a new Kaijudo deck, so we're going to figure that out this week.  I'll probably try to make a new deck, too, since I don't just want to run Megabugs forever, especially since Dragons are popular at my locals.  But yeah, we'll see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know much about kaijudo, but if there are other species other than bugs or dragons, then run those instead, just to be on the unique side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course there's more than just Megabugs and Dragons, but not all of the races have that much support. I also don't want to run something that's ineffective just for the sake of being unique. I want to make a new deck that actually works.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.