Sunday, October 7, 2012

Tournament Report 10/6/12

So, as usual, I went to locals today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight...).

First was the Vanguard tournament, which was best-of-1 single-elimination.  I won the first round against one of the regulars playing Royal Paladins; she's still kind of new to the game, so it wasn't too difficult.  I won against a competent Oracle Think Tank player by decking him out; he didn't summon more than two rear-guards at a time, and one of them was just supporting his Vanguard CEO Amaterasu, so I could guard really easily.  I lost the third round to the Narukami player that I played against in the semi-finals of this Vanguard tournament; I got gradestuck on Grade 0 for a turn, but got all four Heal Triggers over the course of the game to make up for it.  Unfortunately, though, I only drew one Grade 3 (Dragonic Overlord), so I couldn't really put any pressure on him.

After that was the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.  I was playing my Nordic Diva deck, same as it was last week, except I switched out Fiendish Chain for Solemn Warning.  There were like 28 players participating in the tournament.

Round 1: vs Newbie Jurrac

He was pretty nice, but he didn't really understand competitive play.  He played stuff like Fighting Spirit, Mage Power, and United We Stand.  So yeah, Scrap Dragon wrecked him.

Round 2: vs Frog Monarchs

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  We're friends, and he expected to lose to me, so we just had fun while playing.

-Duel 1: He didn't draw any Frog cards, so I just rushed him.
-Duel 2: He actually drew his Swap Frog, so he was able to get his Frog engine going.  But, I banished one of his Treeborn Frogs with D.D. Crow and the other with Dimensional Fissure followed up by Dark Hole.  He had nothing left to use as tribute fodder without his Frogs, so I won from there.

OO

Round 3: vs Inzektors

I knew that Billy Brake did well with Inzektors at a recent YCS, but I didn't expect people to actually play the deck.

-Duel 1: He didn't draw any Inzektors except Centipede, so I just beat him down.  I didn't have the cards needed to swarm, but he didn't have his Hornet, so it didn't matter.
-Duel 2: I had Cyber Dragon and Bottomless Trap Hole.  He had Heavy Storm and Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning.  Yeah...
-Duel 3: He drew both his Inzektor Dragonfly and Hornet, and the only Trap I had was Dust Tornado.  I didn't have Effect Veiler either, so I lost to the Dragonfly.

To be honest, I thought that this guy was a good player, since although I had never played against him before, I knew that he did pretty well in tournaments.  But he made so many noticeable misplays, didn't have a very good grasp on game mechanics, and took way too long to make simple decisions.  I don't mean to sound salty, but I honestly don't think that he deserved to win.  He's still a decent player, but he's not nearly as good as I thought he was.

OXX

Round 4: vs "Plant" Synchro

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He really couldn't get anything going, so I just out-advantaged him.  Not to mention once he was finally able to do damage to me with a Scrap Dragon (after having used its effect to destroy my lone Set Monster), I just dropped Gorz.  He scooped at that, since he had no other cards left.
-Duel 2: Again, he couldn't really do anything significant.  He was able to make a Scrap Dragon with Debris Dragon, Dandylion, and a Fluff Token against my Scrap Dragon and Set Tanngnjostr (black goat) (from Super-Nimble Mega Hamster).  He knew that I had another Tanngnjostr in my hand from a Gleipnir, so he used his Scrap Dragon's effect to destroy my Set Tanngnjostr, then crashed Scrap Dragons.  Uh, I Special Summon Tanngnjostr.  He overlooked the fact that I could Special Summon the black goat from my hand regardless of what play he made.  From there, I beat him down with Scrap Archfiend for a bit, then he used Dark Hole and made a One for One/Dandylion play (after Pot of Avarice, shuffling back the Dandylion, of course).  He Special Summoned Spore with One for One, then tuned it to a Token for Formula Synchron.  He Set two back rows and ended there.  I Special Summoned Guldfaxe from my hand, but he had Bottomless Trap Hole, so I just Set a Monster.  He Tribute Summoned Cyber Dragon using the other Fluff Token.  "You don't play Chimeratech," he said.  He ran over my Set Ryko, which destroyed his other Set back row.  He ended with just Cyber Dragon and Formula Synchron.  I entered my Main Phase and Special Summoned Chimeratech Fortress Dragon.  Yeah, I do play it, and have been for like a month now.  He was at 1400 LP, so he scooped.

OO

Round 5: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened up with Dimensional Fissure and Thunder King Rai-Oh.  So, half of my hand was ruined (Sangan, Tanngnjostr, Gleipnir).  Yeah, I had a Bottomless Trap Hole, but he went first, so yeah... He was able to win off of that Rai-Oh.
-Duel 2: He searched Rescue Rabbit off of a Sangan, and I negated the Rabbit's effect using Solemn Warning.  He then made Leviair with Tour Guide, and I lost from there.  I wanted to negate the Xyz Monster with my Warning, but there was no guarantee that he would overlay before attacking.  My Set Monster was a Tanngnjostr (I couldn't Special Summon it since Dimensional Fissure was up), so I had to protect it.  Perhaps I should've risked it, but he still had a bunch of cards that I didn't get to see, so there's no way of knowing whether or not that would've changed the outcome of the duel.  I'm guessing no.

Either way, he saw my Morphing Jar #2 when I was siding out after the match, and he offered to give me a Super Rare Morphing Jar #2 that he pulled from the new Legendary Collection.  So that was cool.

XX

So yeah, I went 3-2 and didn't win anything, sadly.  I decided to get a Vanguard booster pack instead of a Turbo Pack.  I got a pack of Set 2 since I still need some Kagero stuff from there, and I ended up pulling a Silent Tom.  So that was cool.  I should probably sell it, since it's apparently like a $20 card.  We'll see what happens, I suppose.

And, the shopkeeper decided to run a Kaijudo tournament tomorrow morning (really today, since it's after midnight).  So, I'm going to go with Aki, and we're going to meet up with my friend who plays Vanguard (who couldn't make it today) so that we can get Aki's Royal Paladin deck.  We won't be staying for the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament, though, since I still have homework to do.  But, I want to support Kaijudo at locals, so it's worth spending the extra time to make sure that Kaijudo events will continue to occur at my locals.  So yeah, expect a short Kaijudo tournament report tomorrow (really today, since it's after midnight)...

1 comment:

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.