Sunday, October 7, 2012

Tournament Report 10/7/12

Aki and I went to the first Kaijudo tournament my locals hosted this morning.  There were only three other players, so it was a short tournament.

I was using my Everything Except Nature (EEN) Control deck.  I was able to get a Skull Shatter from Fwazalaza before the tournament to replace the tech Death Smoke I was using.  Overall, I'm not impressed with Skull Shatter.  It warps the game in the sense that people won't keep a bunch of cards in their hand once you're near 8 mana because of it, but it was never really devastating when I played it.  I'd definitely prefer a Razorkinder Puppet to Skull Shatter.

But yeah, on to the short tournament report:

Round 1: vs Light/Water/Darkness

-Duel 1: I got to check my shields with Crystal Memory and saw that I had four Shield Blasts down.  That's cool.  But, I wasn't really able to generate much card advantage, so he was able to slowly beat me down after devastating my field with a Stormspark Blast.
-Duel 2: I got to check my shields with Crystal Memory and saw that I had three Shield Blasts down.  Also cool.  I drew into a lot of my Water cards and was able to generate card advantage to take control of the duel.  In the end, I just rushed to break all of his shields and he had no Shield Blasts to protect himself.
-Duel 3: I summoned two Moorna, Gatling Dragon to control the board.  He couldn't deal with Moorna, so I was able to win.

XOO
Round 2: vs Water/Darkness/Fire

I was paired down, while Aki (who had gotten a bye in the first round) and Fwazalaza were paired up against each other at the top table.

-Duel 1: He discarded a bunch of my cards with Fumes, Specter Claw, Razorkinder Puppet, and finally Skull Shatter.  However, I just kept drawing powerful cards that he couldn't deal with to rush and break all of his shields.  I got pretty lucky, to be honest.
-Duel 2: He locked down my Moorna with Waterspout Gargoyle, much like Neo-Spacian Grand Mole.  So, we just sat there for a while charging a bunch of mana.  Unfortunately for me, I didn't have any more relevant threats once he drew into Crystal Memory to search his Terror Pit to destroy my Moorna.
-Duel 3: I drew very few Water cards towards the beginning of the game, so I couldn't generate much advantage.  He got to rip apart my hand with Razorkinder Puppet, and then I started drawing my Water cards.  It was a bit late, since he had his boss Creatures like Moorna out already to render all of my cards useless.

OXX

Fwazalaza ended up beating Aki 2-1, so since he was the last undefeated player, he won the tournament and the glorious prize of $5 in store credit.  Yeah...

So yeah, I'll see what I can do to improve my Kaijudo deck for next time.  Not that I'll be going to next week's Kaijudo tournament if there is one, since I'll probably be busy next Sunday.  But, I'm just hoping that once Evolutions come out, Water won't be the only Civilization with draw power.  We'll see, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.