Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tournament Report 2/23/13

So, yesterday was the Vanguard Team Tournament that we had been waiting for.  Aki and I met up with my friend who plays Vanguard at the usual card shop.  We were all wearing our lanyards that we got from the team tournament at the Vanguard Regional last year, but we each put a copy of Snogal on our lanyards, as we were Team Snogal.  My friend was our first player, and he was using Soulless Oracle Think Tank.  I was second with my Dark Irregulars, and Aki was third with his Narukami deck.

There were a total of eight teams there.  Three of the teams just consisted of random newbs who joined together at the tournament so they could play.  We scouted out the teams beforehand, and we determined that only one of the other teams would be a threat to our team.  Basically, we expected to win easily.  By the way, instead of best-of-one for each player, each match was best-of-three.  So, that was good.

Round 1: vs Narukami

We were paired against one of the random teams, and I was up against my Round 1 opponent from this morning Vanguard tournament.  He hasn't really gotten any better.  Either way, I won 2-0 without having to Death Brace him.

My friend played against a The End Kagero deck and won 2-0, and Aki played against a Soulless OTT deck and won 2-0.  Apparently, Aki has had a lot of experience against Oracle Think Tank decks, which I did not know, so that's good.

OOO

Round 2: vs Royal Paladin (Majesty Lord)

This time, we were paired against the one team that we deemed to be a threat to us.  I was up against my Round 3 opponent from this morning Vanguard tournament.  I got gradestuck on Grade 1 in the first game, and he got his Blaster Blade and Blaster Dark out to crit me both games, so I lost 0-2.  The main problem in this match-up is that I don't have a 10k vanilla Grade 2 so that I can effectively stop their Wingal Brave when I go first, but I'm not going to give up the easy crossride-hating 18k columns that Dark Irregulars provide just to play 10k vanillas, so yeah.

My friend played against a The End Kagero deck again and won 2-1, and Aki played against a Tsukuyomi OTT deck and won 2-0.

OXO

Round 3: vs Murakumo

This was the last round, so we were playing against the only other undefeated team for first place.  This team wasn't a threat to us because they had just beaten two bad teams in the previous rounds, so we didn't care.  Their first player was spondo, and he had just learned how to play.  Their second player was playing a bad Murakumo deck, so we assumed that we'd get those two matches easily.  And we were right.  I won 2-0 against their Murakumo player because he got gradestuck on the first game after riding Midnight Crow (despite having Bloody Mist), so I could beat him up with 18k columns.  I won the second game because even though he rode Mandala Lord, he just wasted all of his "ninja bunshin" skills and made terrible rear-guard columns.

My friend played against a The End Kagero deck... again... and won 2-1.  Aki played against a Soulless OTT deck and lost 1-2 (double Critical Triggers at 3 damage are too powerful).

OOX

It was almost too easy for us to go undefeated and win 1st place.  Best-of-three team matches mitigate the effect of sack so much more than just single matches, so getting sacked a few times (like how I lost in Round 2 and Aki lost in Round 3) wouldn't lose us the round. This is honestly the way Vanguard should be played, since it adds a little more strategy and reduces the impact of luck.  And to be honest, except for the second player on the team we faced in Round 2 and the third player on the team we faced in Round 3, everyone there had no idea of what they were doing, which is why we were so confident that we'd win the tournament.

And of course, winning got us a total of 18 packs, not including entry packs.  My friend and I each got six packs of Set 5, while Aki got six packs of Set 4.  My friend pulled Wingal Brave and Street Bouncer, and I pulled Glass Beads Dragon and Miracle Beauty.  Aki pulled nothing.  I traded my Miracle Beauty for my friend's Wingal Brave, since I've always liked Wingal Brave (I'll probably use it as a Token in Yu-Gi-Oh).  I also pulled another Masquerade from my entry pack and sold it, along with all of my Shadow Paladin stuff (including Phantom Blaster Overlord and the first Masquerade) to Aki.

After that, we found out that the third player on the team we played against in Round 3 had bought a case (as in, 12 boxes) of Set 5.  He had the Commons and Rares with him, and he just gave them to us.  So, I was able to get all of the non-holo Murakumo stuff I needed, while my friend was able to get all of the non-holo Neo Nectar stuff he needed.  We're going to be making the decks when Set 8 (Musketeers) and Set 9 (Magatsu ride chain) come out, so we decided to pick up the vanillas and stuff now.  The guy also had a few boxes of Set 10 (Japanese, of course) with him, so we mooched some Commons and Rares off of him.  I got some Nova Grappler stuff, like the new Beast Deities.  All three of us got Eradicator, Strike Dagger Dragons, because they're ferocious and adorable at the same time.  Yeah, this is how we get our cards; we mooch them off of the crazy people who spend all of their money on Vanguard.  And I now have more The Gongs, Hysteric Shirleys, and Dark Soul Conductors than I know what to do with, so I'll probably give them to Riku.

Anyways, we also went to the evening Vanguard tournament at the other card shop.  They were just having the usual Vanguard tournament, so yeah.  We all used the same decks as in the team tournament, of course.  There were 30 players there, and a few people were using The End (half of them were little kids, for some reason) and a few people were using Majesty Lord Blaster.  Otherwise, it was the usual spread of random decks.

Round 1: vs Gold Paladin

This was my Round 2 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament.  He wasn't nearly as emo as he was the last two times I played against him, so I was nicer to him and such.  He even guarded two-to-pass against my Vanguard's attack when necessary, so he has gotten better.  I still won, though, since I just made 20k columns across the board to bully his 10k Vanguard.

OO

Round 2: vs Dimension Police

This was my Round 4 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament.  He said that he's going to use Great Daiyusha once Set 8 is released.  Anyways, he missed his ride chain both games and had to ride Miracle Beauty in the first game, so I won easily.

OO

Round 3: vs Royal Paladin (Majesty Lord)

This was my Round 3 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament.  He said that he wouldn't feel bad losing to me since then I'd carry him into the Top 8 due to tie-breakers, and he also acted as though he expected to lose to me.  Well, he used to play Dark Irregulars, so he knows the power of Death Anchor.  But, in the first game, I tried Death Bracing him three times, but he had three perfect guards, so I decked out.  I won the second game by rushing him when I rode to Grade 2 and holding a perfect guard for when he did the Majesty Lord Blaster thing where both Blasters move to the soul.  I was able to win the third game by Death Bracing him twice when he didn't have any perfect guards, not to mention that I pushed through his two-to-pass guard when he was at 4 damage with a Heal Trigger and a Critical Trigger to do three damage, making his sixth-damage Heal Trigger useless.

XOO

With that, they decided to cut to Top 8.  Aki had lost the first two rounds, so he didn't make it, but my friend and I were both undefeated, so we made Top 8.

Top 8: vs Kagero (The End)

I was up against one of the little kids with a The End deck.  It was poorly built (there were multiple Flame of Promise, Aermo) and he didn't really know how to use it, but it is a powerful deck nonetheless.  I won the first game with my ridiculous columns.  13k doesn't really matter when my rear-guard columns are at 26k and 29k and my Vanguard column is a 33k Death Brace (I was holding three Dark Knight of Nightmare Land, so I just went for a final turn).  I lost the second game because even though I was able to make ridiculous columns again, he got a sixth-damage Heal Trigger on my last attack.  He even guarded my first rear-guard attack before just taking the last one at 5 damage, which shows that he's a bad player.  But then he got a Critical Trigger and a Draw Trigger on his Twin Drive on the following turn to win, so I guess I deserved to lose that one.  In the third game, I drew six of my seven Grade 3's over the course of the game.  Once I had ridden to Grade 2, my hand was literally four Grade 3's and nothing else, so I couldn't guard at all for the next two turns and lost because of it.

OXX

And this is why Vanguard takes no skill.  Yes, my sodium chloride levels were quite high after that.  At least my friend won his Top 8 match, so he made Top 4 and was guaranteed prizes.  However, he lost to my Round 3 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament and his new Spectral Duke Gold Paladin deck.  Then, he proceeded to lose to my Top 8 opponent in the fight for 3rd place because he got gradestuck at Grade 2.  At least he got a couple packs of Set 5, which unfortunately had no holos.

Oh well, at least we won a total of 20 packs today as a team, so that was something.  I don't know what my friend is going to do for next weekend, since he said that he got really bored of playing Soulless OTT since it takes less skill than the average Vanguard deck.  I'm going to keep my Dark Irregulars deck the way it is, since I liked having four Hysteric Shirleys and some random Stand Triggers to mess with people.  But yeah, that's about it for this weekend.

And just in case anyone was expecting me to play Yu-Gi-Oh next weekend due to the new ban list, I'm still going to stay away from competitive Yu-Gi-Oh for now.  I mean, all the ban list really did was ban Sangan, Limit Wind-Up Magician, and Limit Solemn Warning.  Everything else was largely irrelevant, so nothing really changed.  If the game shows signs of getting better by the time Hidden Arsenal 7 is released, then I will reconsider.  Otherwise, I don't see any point in playing Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments anymore, since Kaijudo tournaments will start around that time.  Sorry if this is disappointing, but I played in this terrible format and never had any fun, and it only looks like it'll get worse, so I don't think it'll be much fun to continue playing Yu-Gi-Oh.

Hopefully Kaijudo takes off so I can start focusing on that instead of Vanguard.

27 comments:

  1. Can you post the list of those team names as many as you can remember?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tournament organizer didn't use team names for some reason. We were just Team Snogal because we were Team Snogal at the previous team tournament at the Regional.

      Delete
    2. Oh, then did anyone laugh at your lanyard with the card "snogal" slot in?

      Delete
    3. No one laughed at it, but some people asked about it.

      Delete
    4. Care to share with us what they ask about? Another question, do you tend to get alittle arrogant from winning those newbies often?

      Delete
    5. People either asked why we were wearing Snogals or what they were.

      Well, it's hard not to be confident when 19 of 21 potential opponents are bad players. It's not hard to be competent at Vanguard, but most Vanguard players just don't have any idea of what they're doing. Not only that, but a team tournament mitigates the sack factor, so even if we were to get sacked a few times, we still expected to win.

      Delete
    6. Last question, can I ask of a small favor from you? Can you please please cosplay as no life king during your next vanguard match? Please?

      Delete
  2. im bored so care to list any of your favorite formats in YGO? could i hear some of the specifics, i like to hear about past formats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've been playing for years, so there's a lot for me to consider.

      I guess one of my favorites were the two months after the March 2010 ban list before The Shining Darkness. Absolute Powerforce had just been released, and I came up with several different decks around Drill Warrior. First, I used it to loop Monarchs with Treeborn Frog and Level Eater. Later on, I made a deck with 30 Monsters to take advantage of Quickdraw Synchron to perform random rush OTK's. The reason why I liked this format is because nothing was broken at the time. Of course, The Shining Darkness ruined that, so yeah...

      I also enjoyed the Six Samurai/Gravekeeper format. There were some obvious problems with the game at that time, like Gateway of the Six and Royal Tribute, but duels didn't end in an instant as often as they have been recently. The format was slow enough so that most decks could be used with some success.

      I can't really think of any other formats that I really liked, since the power creep started ramping up with the release of Xyz Monsters, so there's no recent format that was that great.

      Delete
    2. Oh yea I remember the Six Sam/GK format (weren't X-Sabers still a bit popular during then?), it was pretty fun except when you lost to Royal Tribute/Gateway. I think it was during this format when I played you with my horrible Chaos build with Genex Ally Crusher and Dark Creator.

      Those Drill Warrior decks sound fun, I'll have to check out your older vids

      Delete
  3. Mermail, inverz, six sam, rescue dino will continue to dominate, with fire king soon to catch up. Nothing much has changed.

    Besides, peoples already find a new way for wind up otk, so nothing much will change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lightgrunty, you seem pretty well known, but why are all your videos had low view count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm that well-known. In fact, I don't really advertise my YouTube channel or blog to anyone; the only people that have found them are the people who have stumbled upon them and people whom I know in real life.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha, finally!!! Someone actually use Murakumo!!! Too bad, no Neo Nectar deck XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Murakumo is pretty bad right now. Neo Nectar is a little better, to the point of being somewhat playable, but it's still not that good. They'll get better when their new support comes out.

      Delete
  6. Care to share your Dark Irregulars list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, it's nothing special. It just has Death Anchor, Dark Lord, Evil Eye Basilisk, Blue Dust, Flirtatious Succubus, Grade 1 and 2 Amons, Doreen, Alluring Succubus, Yellow Bolt, perfect guards, Devil in Shadow, and triggers.

      I don't want to give away exact numbers of any of the cards because people at my locals may read this blog, and that would give them the ability to take advantage of this knowledge. But, since it's Vanguard, it shouldn't be hard to figure out how many of each card to use. Just try out different ratios to see what works for you.

      Delete
    2. In my opinion on this matter, I think Greedy Hand would be a far superior starting Vanguard for your deck. My main though on this is that with the ever present relevance of crossrides, having a moving 5k booster vanguard works better then a 4k booster who is most obviously just going to get called over, in the fact that if you have a line of No Life King and Greedy Hand in the VC, with your Death Brace it hits for 28k, even though the ideal line being No Life King with Doreen, makes no total difference in the number as unless you have another means to soul charge (excluding the mandatory SC at the beginning of your main phase), your line with Doreen is still on 32k, which works effectively against MLB decks, the other Cross rides still only need 20k for a 1-pass, or 25 for 2. So in my opinion, having the Doreen sitting behind a 9k RG, for the 18k columns, is better then having it behind the Vanguard.

      Delete
    3. I don't mean to sound crude here, but it seems like you think I didn't already know all of that.

      I have considered Greedy Hand for the reasons you've described, but the fact that it has no other use at all is what I don't like. I don't need to put a Grade 2 or lower card from my deck into the soul, like ever. Sure, it can boost Doreen's power for a turn, but so does Devil in Shadow, even if it's just a difference of 3k.

      I've even considered using Vermillion Gatekeeper because I don't want to use Counter Blasts if I ride Death Anchor. It also provides extra soul for if I have to ride Dark Lord. But it's a minus, so I doubt I'd ever use it.

      The reason why I use Devil in Shadow despite how weak it is is because I want to be able to use its effect. Sometimes I don't open with a Grade 3, or I only open with Evil Eye Basilisk, which I'd really rather not ride. So, if by my Grade 2 ride, I don't have a good Grade 3 to ride, I use Devil in Shadow's effect in an attempt to grab one. If I grab Dark Lord of Abyss, then that's great. If I grab Death Anchor, that's good too; I may not be able to use the Death Brace unless I get a Heal Trigger, but at least I can Soul Charge, gain 2k on my turn, and have 11k defense after a while.

      I know how to use Devil in Shadow effectively. If I open with Death Anchor, I put Devil in Shadow to the side, and maybe even in the front. If I have my main Grade 3, then I won't care if it dies, especially if I would have to call over it anyways. If I'm playing against a Majesty Lord deck, then I consider leaving it behind the Vanguard; if I don't have a Doreen or an Amon to boost Death Anchor, then Devil in Shadow is good enough. Otherwise, I leave it in the front to die, like usual. It's a good way of having a somewhat decent attacking column (at least for killing rear-guards) if I don't have any attackers. This works especially well against Narukami players, who hesitate to use their Vermillion Thunderbolt on a Grade 0 like that.

      I also have to ask, what would you do with your Greedy Hand if your opponent isn't playing a crossride? You wouldn't put it behind the Vanguard, since that spot is reserved for Amon or Doreen when your opponent's Vanguard is 11k or 12k. So, it would be almost as useless as Devil in Shadow in a rear-guard column. That extra 1k might make a small difference, but having a Devil in Shadow floating around on my field hasn't ever bothered me enough so that I'd take it out of my deck.

      And just so you know, I almost never put Doreen behind my Vanguard. My Vanguard can almost always hit ridiculous numbers by itself, so it usually doesn't need Doreen's help with that. I usually put my Doreens in the rear-guard columns, as you said, so I can make ridiculous numbers across the board.

      Anyways, you obviously know what you're talking about, and I understand your reasoning behind why you would use Greedy Hand instead of Devil in Shadow. It's nice to see that there are some good Dark Irregulars players, since all of the other Dark Irregulars players at my locals have absolutely no idea of how to build or use the deck properly.

      Delete
  7. So I guess your friends took your advice this time and manage to shuffle opponent deck while playing intelligently, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't say for sure, but I did remind them to shuffle well before the tournament. And we also discussed making 18k columns against crossrides, though Aki never had to play against any crossride decks. But, in a game like Vanguard, sufficiently randomizing the decks and making all of the right plays isn't going to win you all of your games. The chance to get ruined by getting gradestuck or getting trigger-sacked, however small it may be, still exists, and shuffling well doesn't prevent it from happening.

      Delete
  8. Have you ever face the rule sharking players and how do you deal with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you're asking about Yu-Gi-Oh, since there's really no such thing as rule-sharking in Kaijudo or Vanguard...

      I can't really think of any times I've gotten rule-sharked. But that's because I play correctly. I declare when I change phases, ask to enter the Damage Step even though I don't plan on doing anything specifically during the Damage Step, and stuff like that.

      Basically, if you abide by all of the rules (and I mean all of them, including trivial things like declaring your Standby Phase), then you won't get rule-sharked.

      Delete
    2. Then did you ever caught player cheating in yugioh before? Example: getting effect wrong, skip phase, secretly draw 2 instead of 1, swap card without you noticing, while using searching effect, secretly swap card with existing hand...

      Delete
    3. I've played against players who try to lie about their cards' effects, but I haven't caught anyone doing any of those other things.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.