Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tournament Report 7/13/13 & 7/14/13

Aki and I went to locals yesterday.  We couldn't make it to the morning Vanguard tournament, but we met up with my friend who plays Vanguard, who won the morning Vanguard tournament with a terrible Bison Great Nature deck...  Apparently, all he had to do was beat a bunch of Magatsu Murakumo decks, since that was what the majority of the players there were using.

So, before going to the other card shop, Aki and I got three Triple Strike decks for Kaijudo.  He foiled out a bunch of the cards in the new WDF Dragon Aggro deck we put together, and I just foiled out my Tornado Flames.

We ended up going to the evening Vanguard tournament.  I was using my Arboros Dragon Neo Nectar deck, Aki was using his Narukami deck (now featuring The Blood), and my friend was using my Pale Moon deck.  There were 13 players there.

Round 1: vs Gold Paladin

This was my Round 4 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament.  I won the first game because I got the ride chain and beat up his 10k Vanguard with my 25k Vanguard column and 20+k rear-guard columns.  I won the second game despite missing the ride chain because of Maiden of Trailing Rose's Persona Blast and because I killed his rear-guards.

OO

Round 2: vs Narukami

This was my opponent from last weekend's evening Vanguard team tournament.  He discarded his good Arboros Dragon deck for a crummy Narukami deck with Plasmabite Dragon and Thunder Break Dragon...  He took a bunch of damage really early so he could use Vermillion's Limit Break in the first game when he rode to Grade 3.  I then replaced my retired rear-guards with the ones I actually wanted to keep and won because I got the ride chain.  I won the second game despite missing the ride chain because I trigger-sacked him.

OO

Round 3: vs Narukami

I was paired up against Aki, who was also undefeated.  I had worse tie-breakers than him, so he gave me the win and we just played Kaijudo instead.

Aki and I ended up making Top 4.  My friend lost the first round to a bad The End Kagero player (he was using Flame Edge Dragon and the Especial Intercept...) because his opponent got double Critical Triggers.  It didn't matter too much, though.  Everyone in the Top 4 just decided to split, so we got four packs each.

Aki pulled a Magatsu Storm, but that's about it.  We didn't really get what we were looking for, which was Platina Ezel for the fourth Snogal's Gold Paladin deck.

Next was today's Kaijudo tournament, which we were all able to attend.  I was using my LFN Megabug deck, which I changed a little bit since last weekend.  Aki was using the WDF Dragon Aggro deck I mentioned earlier, and my friend was using his usual WFN Aggro deck.

There were 9 players there today.

Round 1: vs WDF Dragon Aggro

I was paired against Aki, which was sad.

-Duel 1: I won the die roll and opened with a decent progression.  I was able to kill his Herald of Infernus with Tornado Flame so that it wouldn't cause any problems.  Then, I dropped the Hive Queen to swarm and win.
-Duel 2: He opened up with Nix, and I wasn't able to effectively deal with it.  He used Galzak to kill The Hive Queen and the rest of my small bugs, so I lost.
-Duel 3: I went in with The Hive Queen on turn 6 to kill his Hyperspeed Dragon, which he broke a shield with earlier.  He Blocked, then hard-cast Bottle of Wishes.  He needed Infernus the Immolator or Terror Pit to kill The Hive Queen, and he got Terror Pit.  That lost me the game.  I had it planned perfectly, too, since he couldn't cast Terror Pit on turn 6, and I didn't mind if he played Grip of Despair, since I had two small bugs out already, but the Terror Pit off of Bottles was really upsetting.

OXX

I ended up getting the bye in the second round.

Round 3: vs LWDn Control

This was my Round 4 opponent from last weekend's Kaijudo tournament.  His play improved from last time.

-Duel 1: I opened up with a Mana Tick to grab Steamtank Kryon.  I was able to play Steamtank on turn 5, then Lyra on turn 6 to get rid of his Blocker.  I played The Hive Queen soon after to swing at his shields and win.
-Duel 2: I opened up with an odd progression, since I got Mana Tick on turn 6 after having played Reap and Sow on turn 4.  So, I was able to play Mana Tick to grab Mana Tick to grab Kryon.  I was holding The Hive Queen, so I was able to play it on the following turn to swing at shields.  He declined to charge mana on turn 8, which prevented him from threatening me with Andromeda on turn 9, so I got an extra turn with which to win.

OO

So, I ended up going 2-1, kind of, but I didn't top.  My friend lost the first two rounds to multiple Andromedas (he had to play against Fwazalaza, then my Round 3 opponent), so he went 1-2, with his win being a bye.  Aki lost to Stephen in the finals, so he got 2nd place.

Aki got a holo Sprout for getting Top 2, and I got one in the raffle, so now we have two.  Aki also got three packs for getting 2nd, so we got a total of six packs, pulling King Poseidon and Truthseeker Forion.  That makes three Forions, which is excessive... Unless there's some ridiculous Shield Blast spell that costs more than 10 that it can be used with to break it, then he's not all that great.

I think that's about it.  I should be able to make it to locals next weekend, but I don't know if Aki will be able to.  But yeah, I don't know what I could do with my Megabug deck; I'll probably just cut it down closer to 40 cards or something.

3 comments:

  1. Too bad Riku didn't join with you guys in Kaijudo tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you watch kaijudo cartoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I do. It's a good show that actually has a plot which doesn't revolve around children playing children's card games to save the world, or whatever.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.